PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion please...

LittleLegsCM
21-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Im having trouble with one of younger mindees when it comes to eating and after talking to her mum, she is too!

She is nearly 20 months old and is very good with what she eats (she's one of my only kids that really does eat anything!) but it's HOW she eats thats the problem! It's quite scarey to watch her and apparently she makes her mum very nervous when she's eating at home as well. She literally rams everything in, not giving herself room to chew or anything like that!!

Her mum and I are working together to try different solutions but we don't seem to be gettin anywhere. We've tried large bits of food so that she has to bite bits off to get it in her mouth= she literally used the palm of her hand to force the whole thing in!! We tried small bite sized bits= again she would keep forcing as much in as she could!! We're now giving her 1 small individual piece at a time and not given her more until she's finished that bit (but she has now learnt to hide it in her mouth until you give her more!) the thing that worries me is that by doing it this way are we kind of stunting her development? As in, she's not really learning to do it herself.

My son was baby led weaned from 6 months so I am confident in the differences between gag reflexes and choking etc but I'm worried that one day shes going to force food in too far and get it stuck so if anyone has any other suggestions mum & I could try before it gets any worse I would really appreciate it x

christine e
21-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Know what you mean about her development but I would still go down the route of giving her one little bit a time and not giving anymore until she has swallowed it then gradually increase it so you give her one small piece to eat and one on her plate for when she has chewed and gradually put more and more on her plate - if she starts to go for another piece before she has swallowed move the plate away from her until she has swallowed

The Juggler
21-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Im having trouble with one of younger mindees when it comes to eating and after talking to her mum, she is too!

She is nearly 20 months old and is very good with what she eats (she's one of my only kids that really does eat anything!) but it's HOW she eats thats the problem! It's quite scarey to watch her and apparently she makes her mum very nervous when she's eating at home as well. She literally rams everything in, not giving herself room to chew or anything like that!!

Her mum and I are working together to try different solutions but we don't seem to be gettin anywhere. We've tried large bits of food so that she has to bite bits off to get it in her mouth= she literally used the palm of her hand to force the whole thing in!! We tried small bite sized bits= again she would keep forcing as much in as she could!! We're now giving her 1 small individual piece at a time and not given her more until she's finished that bit (but she has now learnt to hide it in her mouth until you give her more!) the thing that worries me is that by doing it this way are we kind of stunting her development? As in, she's not really learning to do it herself.

My son was baby led weaned from 6 months so I am confident in the differences between gag reflexes and choking etc but I'm worried that one day shes going to force food in too far and get it stuck so if anyone has any other suggestions mum & I could try before it gets any worse I would really appreciate it x

this is exactly what I would do. Eventually eating that way should become second nature and when you do allow her to self feed again she will be fine. If she is 20 months, and she's hiding it, when you offer her more and see some still there, just say finish that bit first.