PDA

View Full Version : Frozen veg?

stargazer1
21-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Does anyone use frozen veg when preparing mindees meals? Am I wrong in thinking there is no nutritional difference between fresh and frozen? Its just occurred to me that when I am preparing for my (very fussy) mindees, I am throwing away so much veg. Mums keep telling me that they eat everything but either I am cooking it wrong (!!) or they arent as food-happy as I am being led to believe. I was thinking of buying some frozen veg, and then I only need to cook the amount they are likely to eat and minimising any waste. Or is this a big no-no?? :confused:

butterfly
21-05-2012, 11:06 AM
I think frozen veg is perfectly acceptable.

moogster1a
21-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Frozen veg. nearly always has a far higher vitamin content than "fresh" veg. This is because it is frozen asap after picking. Usually within 12 hours within on farm facilities. "fresh" veg. on the other hand could well have been sat in storage/ in a ship / on a plane for anything up to 2 weeks.

christine e
I most certainly do. No problem at all using frozen

LittleLegsCM
Frozen veg actually has more nutritional value than fresh as far as I understand as its frozen straight away so less of the goodness is taken away where as fresh is not always guaranteed to have been picked that morning, for example.

Also, I feel your pain with the extremely fussy eaters! I have the same issue, forms filled in from parents saying they are very good with food, eat anything they're given etc but I can put money on the fact that at least one mindee a day will refuse what's been cooked for them!!

kel1983
21-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I use it. And I've heard top chefs say frozen peas are just as good as fresh ones.

We also freeze carrots which we have bought from the market. So we can buy bulk and use what we need wthout throwing any

stargazer1
21-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Yay!!! Thanks guys. To Iceland I go then.

LittleLeggs CM - Its so frustrating isnt it!!! Little one started with me a week ago, by the end of the week he had refused everything I put in front of him and ended up with a ham or cheese sandwich every day instead! Every day he asks for chips and I tell him that we dont have chips in my house. By Thursday eve I mentioned to Mum that I was struggling to get him to eat any cooked meals (every day I put in contact book what has been eaten etc so I guess she knew already) and she said she had asked LO on Wednesday night why he wasnt eating and he said "because the others dont like Becky's cooking". Nice!!!! My own children eat my cooking fine! But then Dad came to collect Friday, asked if he had eaten, I said no, and he said "oh he's the same at home, we cant get him to eat anything other than nuggets and chips at the moment". Grrrrrrr.

The Juggler
21-05-2012, 01:12 PM
I use half and half, frozen veg is def. as good as fresh but can be a little soggy with things like cauli and brocoli.

tinkerbelle
21-05-2012, 08:45 PM
not to put a downer on things but i got reported for using frozen veg i even ended up with social services out asking about my use of it needless to say i proved its better for the kids and indeed proves i make a nutritious cooked meal for them not just micro crap they soon shut up

karen m
21-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I use it,i can then cook as much or as little depending on amount of children i have that day

sarah707
21-05-2012, 09:18 PM
We use it quite often - we add it to casseroles, soup, mince and mash etc as well.

It's all about balance :D

miffy
21-05-2012, 09:21 PM
I've always got peas and sweet corn in the freezer :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

mummyof3
21-05-2012, 09:28 PM
not to put a downer on things but i got reported for using frozen veg i even ended up with social services out asking about my use of it needless to say i proved its better for the kids and indeed proves i make a nutritious cooked meal for them not just micro crap they soon shut up

Have social services really got nothing better to do :eek::rolleyes:

murrayspud
21-05-2012, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=miffy;1103800]I've always got peas and sweet corn in the freezer :thumbsup:

Me too!!!!

I don't see anything wrong in using frozen veg.

Kathryn x

tulip0803
21-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Frozen veg. nearly always has a far higher vitamin content than "fresh" veg. This is because it is frozen asap after picking. Usually within 12 hours within on farm facilities. "fresh" veg. on the other hand could well have been sat in storage/ in a ship / on a plane for anything up to 2 weeks.

Agree totally - Did a Nutrition in the Early Years course with the local health boards dietetics team and they said this too.

Heaven Scent
21-05-2012, 11:17 PM
The cook at one place I worked had a degree in some sort of food science and told me it was probably more nutritious than fresh because its frozen at source - she also told me how bad bottled mineral water is for children because of all the natural salts and minerals in it as it can cause all sorts of nutritional imbalances in young children plus there is no regulation about its safety unlike normal tap water which is constantly being checked and regulated.

moogster1a
22-05-2012, 06:19 AM
You got reported for using frozen veg?!!! FGS, who by? I'd have laughed social services off my doorstep and thrown a bag of peas after them.

jumping j
22-05-2012, 06:51 AM
I use it too,
much quicker than preparing 2 or 3 lots of veg every meal time!!!
It says on the packaging it's just as good as fresh so I don't see a problem with it

miffy
22-05-2012, 06:56 AM

I can't believe that - stupid enough that someone reported you for using frozen veg but then for SS to visit :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

tinkerbelle
22-05-2012, 12:56 PM
the local smackhead (heroin addict) who happens to be my partners sister reported me because id reported her to the police for attacking me from behind whilst holding my daughter who was 8 weeks old at the time and causing criminal damage to my car by booting it. because of my report she ended up with a restoritive order against her she admitted it to the police and signed an apology then contacted ofsted and told them id attacked her (id already emailed them a copy of her admission etc) and because they ignored that she told them i used frozen veg when cooking and nope my local social services are rammel they have nothing better to do i know for a fact the above family have been reffered more times and they do nothing