PDA

View Full Version : Childcare discussion on Radio 2

cherry
21-05-2012, 11:01 AM
It sounds like Jeremy Vine will be discussing the cost of childcare in a moment on radio 2

Pipsqueak
21-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Vilify the minder time then eh!

JCrakers
21-05-2012, 11:15 AM
I've got it on...enjoying the beegees at the moment :D

Makes a change from fern cotton...lol

mum2two
21-05-2012, 11:49 AM
OMG!!! Anyone else want to be a nanny in London???? :p

£2.5k a month!!!! :eek: Yeah, if you take the extreme on these shows, then it does make the cost of chidlcare sound ridiculosly expensive!! I'd love to earn that much for looking after 2 children.... :rolleyes:

xx

Carol M
21-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Listening now, more to come.
I find Elizabeth Truss's comment that nurseries could "train" us offensive and shows she is ignorant and misinformed about childminders.
Carol x

cockatoos
21-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Argh! I know shouting at the radio doesn't really help but it makes me feel better!!!!

JCrakers
21-05-2012, 11:53 AM
OMG!!! Anyone else want to be a nanny in London???? :p

£2.5k a month!!!! :eek: Yeah, if you take the extreme on these shows, then it does make the cost of chidlcare sound ridiculosly expensive!! I'd love to earn that much for looking after 2 children.... :rolleyes:

xx

Takes the mick :eek:
I used to be a nanny in west London in 1994 and I used to earn £100 a week live in.....no way does it cost that much to employ a nanny...surely
Pah

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 11:54 AM
i'm getting SO CROSS!

caz3007
21-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Am listening as my mindie is asleep, wonder if they will let a childminder speak.

mum2two
21-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Me too!! Get a childminder on!!!

xx

Carol M
21-05-2012, 11:55 AM
It may not be cost effective for many parents to send their children into childcare, it will certainly not be cost effective for us to lower our fees, what should this be telling the government? They are barking up the wrong tree!
Carol x

JCrakers
21-05-2012, 11:58 AM
i'm getting SO CROSS!

Don't get me started....I've got steam coming out of my ears. :angry:

mum2two
21-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Just sent a very angry e-mail to him!!!

Prob doesn't even make much sense as I'm writing all angry!!!!

cherry
I was shouting at the radio when one of my mothers arrived, she asked what the problem was and I told her. She said, you're the best value we've ever had, don't listen to what others say. :)

EmmaReed84
Hmmm by these comments I am pleased I didn't listen

mum2two
21-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I was shouting at the radio when one of my mothers arrived, she asked what the problem was and I told her. She said, you're the best value we've ever had, don't listen to what others say. :)

Unfortunatley it doesn't seem to be something we can ignore... :angry:

xx

rickysmiths
21-05-2012, 12:06 PM
I can believe that some nannies are paid that much but they obviously didn't look that far. I have often cared for two children and am about to again in the autumn when mindees little sister joins us. The last family mum and dad were in the Police and I had the children 50 hours a week and I charge £4.50ph then and they were able to afford it.

I am amazed that a Dad Earning over £40,000pa and a mum obviously earning enough to pay all the bills if Dad isn't working at present can't go back to work.

It is a shame that they have only had on a girl who looked into becoming a childminder and didn't because she couldn't earn enough.

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 12:15 PM
i've just been tracing links from jeremy vine and have emailed yet more comments to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18141076

i have sent several emails and texts to jeremy vine show. i tried phoning but couldn't get through.

nipper
21-05-2012, 12:16 PM
It is a shame that they have only had on a girl who looked into becoming a childminder and didn't because she couldn't earn enough.

Here, here get a real childminder on...I would but I'm up to my eyeballs in cheesy pasta:laughing:

madcaz
21-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Ive emailed in and to the BBC aswell. It annoys me that even though were qualified and have similar policies, inspections etc, we are still not equal to a private nursery when we should be!! Childminders should be recognised as professional child carers aswell. I dont like the idea of being trained and inspected by a nursery!!!
Get a childminder on there I say!!! :clapping:

Ali56
21-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Saira khan has been on twitter this morning delaring the gov should fund state nurseries as childminders are SO expensive etc blah blah-does she not know that nurseries cost more and childminders are better. I wanted to shout at her. Also by the time we take off our expenses we spend making sure mindees have a rounded learning experience (and a great time) we don't take home much :angry: Nurseries are not better generally. And she had 'an excellent live in au pair' Bet she doesn't pay her much.....

rickysmiths
21-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I want to know how our local Nursery which has never been graded more than Satisfactory is qualified to inspect a Good or Outstanding childminder? Also they are independent money making businesses so how can they inspect us. It would be to their advantage to down grade all local childminders wouldn't it?

Who is going to pay them to inspect and regulate cms???

It all sounds completely nuts to me.

Smiley
21-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I also sent Jeremy Vine an email, I'm so cross again!
It would appear they have been inundated!

Penny1959
21-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I did not get to listen as too busy shouting at my computer in my attempt to submit the e petition.

Did the put a childminders view? - I know I and lots of others emailed stating our views and giving phone numbers for them to contact us.

Did they ask for NCMA input - or any other organisation?

Penny

caz3007
21-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I did not get to listen as too busy shouting at my computer in my attempt to submit the e petition.

Did the put a childminders view? - I know I and lots of others emailed stating our views and giving phone numbers for them to contact us.

Did they ask for NCMA input - or any other organisation?

Penny

No is the answer to all your questions Penny. The only person from a childminders point of view was a lady who had decided not to register due to the red tape and because she had 2 under 5's herself.

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 01:19 PM
i do know someone from NCMA was listening and is as frustrated as we are.

i have now emailed jeremy vine direct (again) (vine@bbc.co.uk) saying how disappointed i was that he didn't actually speak to a childminder!

and that all this kerfuffle is a smoke screen as the govt are trying to save money, forget about the rest of us, trying to earn a living!

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 03:28 PM
jeremy vine show did NOT contact NCMA.

NCMA have been on radio 5