PDA

View Full Version : to interact or not

mushpea
21-05-2012, 10:15 AM
think i am having a guilt trip although not sure why cause the kids are happy
for the past half hour they (4yrold and 2yrold) have been happily playing outside with the tent, ride on cars, sand pit etc but with no interaction from me, not cause I cant be bothered but because they are just happy playing together in their own imagination game. normally this dosent fuss me and i happily let them just play whilst I do paper work but I just wonded if other people do this or if they constantly play with the children. I know of one minder who constantly follows hers around at toddler group playing with them so they have no seperate play from her at all which I am sure cant be good for them, obvoulsy there are times in the day when we do stuff together though.
so do you leave them to it or play with them all the time

moggy
21-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Leave them to play, absolutely! I only intervene if things are getting too rough/dangerous/someone upset, or they look like they need redirecting, or if I can add something significant to their play (like adding a resource/idea or helping hand to solve a problem). The skills to play together independently are so valuable. No one wants their little one to constantly need to look to an adult to help them play. I think it is very important for moving on to playgroup/school as they have to be able to be self-motivated.

green4lynn
21-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi,

I think you need to do a bit of both, play with them when they want to but leave them to play together if they are enjoying themselves. You could do some written observations while they are playing and kill two birds with one stone. I have a little girl who's parents do everything with her so as a consequence she's no good at amusing herself! She's not good at making friends either, she starts school in september which will hopefully help her.
Don't be too hard on yourself, if the children are happy then you must be doing things right:)

Lynn x

JCrakers
21-05-2012, 10:40 AM
They need time without you. I don't play with mine very often as usually they make fantastic imaginary games up that don't include me :D
I'm always watching and there if they need anything but I usually leave them to play with each other.

I do interact with jigsaws,crafts,games etc but when they are 'playing' I leave them to it :D

uf353432
21-05-2012, 10:49 AM
oh the guilt - I understand the guilt - the 'am I doing enough?' conversation - I have the same script.

But I do think independant and collaborative play between children is important - get involved when the kids invite you, or when you can facilitate something that you overheard - extra resources etc. Aside from that you are not doing 'nothing' you are observing :)

Pedagog
21-05-2012, 12:18 PM
If they are playing happily then leave them to it (whilst surpervising) but don't ruin their play just to interact with them.

Kimmy050983
21-05-2012, 12:44 PM
You are doing them a big favour!! Kids should be playing by themselves and together - especially if they are happy why disturb them. I do things with the children but i don't get involved in their imaginative games at all..

The Juggler
21-05-2012, 12:55 PM
best thing to do when they are playing like this is to do lovely detailed observations to see what learning you can capture.

or, sit near and listen in, you might be able to extend their knowledge, grammar or social skills by just inputting a tiny bit, asking questions and supporting :thumbsup:

mushpea
21-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks ladies, this is what I have always done but its good to know that I am on par with everyone else,