PDA

View Full Version : So what's the alternative?

Kiddleywinks
21-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Ok, so we are, well in the main, all up in arms about the possibility of deregulation.

What alternative can we offer the powers that be, that we would be happy with and they would feel proactive in by decreasing their budgets?

Personally speaking, I would accept an increase in ofsted fees, if it meant I could remain independent and my own boss.

If it costs £400 to inspect every 3 years 400/3 = £133 + £35 = £168.33
so in reality, anything up to £200 per year, which works out to be less than £4 per week

I am new, so I realise I'm still a bit wet behind the ears on this subject, but I think we need to offer up something in return

sarahjane
21-05-2012, 09:31 AM
I would also much rather an increase in the yearly registration fee than to pay a percentage of my earnings to an agency.

JCrakers
21-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I think it would be a good idea to pay to be inspected. So it it costs £400 to inspect an childminder then I would pay. Although I don't know why it has to be so high,they need to look at their costs :rolleyes:
£400 over 3 yrs is £133 a yr.

I suppose I would rather pay that instead of all the other stuff that's flying about at the moment

mum2two
21-05-2012, 10:16 AM
I too would much prefer an increase fees and remain my own boss, with my own rates and advertising.

I don't have a problem filling spaces, but know others locally who do. We work hard to build a good reputation, why should it be down to an agency to decide which childminder gets which child?? Where is the parents choice???

rickysmiths
21-05-2012, 12:59 PM
They currently pay an inspector £250 to do an inspection and write up a report. They pay per inspection and not a salary. The inspector also has to pay all their expenses out of the 250 so car, hotel etc etc.

Then Ofsted, tribal and Prospect will have their costs as well.

I would be happy to pay a higher annual fee. The original idea was that the fees would be increased year on year and this has never happened.

Maybe there could also be a bit of a sliding scale for those registered for less children or who are on Maternity leave.

Heaven Scent
21-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Ok, so we are, well in the main, all up in arms about the possibility of deregulation.

What alternative can we offer the powers that be, that we would be happy with and they would feel proactive in by decreasing their budgets?

Personally speaking, I would accept an increase in ofsted fees, if it meant I could remain independent and my own boss.

so in reality, anything up to £200 per year, which works out to be less than £4 per week

I am new, so I realise I'm still a bit wet behind the ears on this subject, but I think we need to offer up something in return

Why did you add the £35 it doesn't cost them £400 plus our £35 per year it costs £400 - I like the idea of the sliding scale - what about childminders who have 2 children of their own under 5 their earnings wouldn't cover £200 p.a. with all their other expenses.

miss mopple
21-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I would happily pay more to stay registered and individually inspected :thumbsup:

Kiddleywinks
21-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Why did you add the £35 it doesn't cost them £400 plus our £35 per year it costs £400 - I like the idea of the sliding scale - what about childminders who have 2 children of their own under 5 their earnings wouldn't cover £200 p.a. with all their other expenses.

I added the £35 as that is what our current registration fee is so I very much doubt ofsted would deduct the fee already in place :D

Penny1959
21-05-2012, 04:31 PM

I don't think you are 'wet behind the ears' at all - a lot have responded to my letter with the same suggestion see http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=101884

Penny :)