PDA

View Full Version : future of childminders

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 06:44 AM
i heard on the 7oclock news on radio 2 that elizabeth trust wants childminders to lower their costs by taking on more children.

i don't know if it will be covered, but i have just emailed jeremy vine on radio 2 to put across my points about deregulation. i wondered that if everyone did, maybe it would be discussed and we would reach a wider audience?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jeremy-vine/contact/

i am now going to be out all day, so won't hear what else is going on!

marnieb
21-05-2012, 06:51 AM
did anyone hear this? at least its being discussed on bbc radio, so hopefully will reach a wider audience.

why does this woman think taking on more children will be beneficial to us??? i live in a 2 bed flat, there is no way i can take on more children, so i will be priced out as i cant afford to lower my costs........

miffy
21-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks loocyloo, haven't heard the comments but emailing Jeremy Vine anyway!

Miffy xx

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 06:55 AM
did anyone hear this? at least its being discussed on bbc radio, so hopefully will reach a wider audience.

why does this woman think taking on more children will be beneficial to us??? i live in a 2 bed flat, there is no way i can take on more children, so i will be priced out as i cant afford to lower my costs........

email jeremy vine! i don't know if it is being discussed, or it was a passing news comment :( but i thought if we all emailed with our thoughts, it would HAVE to be discussed ;)

sandy64
21-05-2012, 06:56 AM
thanks for your support i didnt here it if you send me email address i dont emailing my comments:)

loocyloo
Thanks loocyloo, haven't heard the comments but emailing Jeremy Vine anyway!

Miffy xx

:D:D:D: well done!

christine e
This makes me so mad - they just want us to cram them in a:angry:and have no regard for a child's welfare and safety. The present 3 under 5's and only one under one is there for a reason and a very good reason and if anyone needs to increase these numbers then at present the whole picture is looked at and a decision is made. I just feel that the economic climate is dictating this and it is a very poor reason for putting children's welfare and safety in jepody!

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 06:58 AM
thanks for your support i didnt here it if you send me email address i dont emailing my comments:)

email under an assumed name if you don't want to be identified. i can't find his email address, just the contact page on his showpage! you could phone or twitter?

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 06:58 AM
This makes me so mad - they just want us to cram them in a:angry:and have no regard for a child's welfare and safety. The present 3 under 5's and only one under one is there for a reason and a very good reason and if anyone needs to increase these numbers then at present the whole picture is looked at and a decision is made. I just feel that the economic climate is dictating this and it is a very poor reason for putting children's welfare and safety in jepody!

i agree, and that is what i said in my email. copy and paste and send it to jeremy vine!

miffy
21-05-2012, 07:00 AM
email under an assumed name if you don't want to be identified. i can't find his email address, just the contact page on his showpage! you could phone or twitter?

Scroll down the contact page on the link you posted and you can email him.

Miffy xx

melco
21-05-2012, 07:05 AM
I have just emailed. I have not been childminding long but have taken points from others as well to put in my email. Hope this helps!

christine e
21-05-2012, 07:17 AM
i agree, and that is what i said in my email. copy and paste and send it to jeremy vine!

Oh I have emailed and I have said much more than what I posted on here!
I am a force not be be reckoned with today:angry:

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 07:21 AM
sweetpea has just posted a link to an article saying we could 5 under 5 in the telegraph.

rickysmiths
21-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I heard this on radio four while I was having my shower!

They interviewed an ex cm who had opened a Nursery in Sheffield because working in her home interfered with her own children :rolleyes:

She said her experience was that a lot of local minders had given up because of the pressures of EYFS and all the paperwork and they wore not intellectually able to deal with it all!

The whole interview, despite these comments, did come over as quite positive about speaking to NCMA and the benefits of cms being better qualified and having fort hard to be regarded as more professional.

What I don't understand is that the pressure seems to be on cms lowering their fees.

What about the hugely expensive Day Nurseries?? Our local ones are charging about £5-20 per day more than local cms depending on how many sessions a week you do and the age of your child. Maybe they should be made to reduce their costs as they are already able to have more children and they rarely take the children on outings, don't do school or pre school runs so have no car or transport costs.

I am beginning to wonder if we will end up with a two tier cm system and it should also happen to day nurseries. Where the satisfactory nurseries are de regulated and become cheaper and cms who don't want the paperwork etc de register and charge less but neither of them can take Childcare Vouchers be paid with Tax Credits or deliver the Free places.

Those of us who want to remain professional and do all the work can more easily become Accredited, no more silly hoops for different areas to jump through like Herts cms having to do the Quality Scheme but pre school and Nurseries don't :rolleyes:

We can accept Childcare Vouchers and Tax Credit payments. We can also have up to 4 under fives.
Then parents will have a chioce.

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 07:34 AM
I heard this on radio four while I was having my shower!

They interviewed an ex cm who had opened a Nursery in Sheffield because working in her home interfered with her own children :rolleyes:

She said her experience was that a lot of local minders had given up because of the pressures of EYFS and all the paperwork and they wore not intellectually able to deal with it all!

The whole interview, despite these comments, did come over as quite positive about speaking to NCMA and the benefits of cms being better qualified and having fort hard to be regarded as more professional.

What I don't understand is that the pressure seems to be on cms lowering their fees.

What about the hugely expensive Day Nurseries?? Our local ones are charging about £5-20 per day more than local cms depending on how many sessions a week you do and the age of your child. Maybe they should be made to reduce their costs as they are already able to have more children and they rarely take the children on outings, don't do school or pre school runs so have no car or transport costs.

I am beginning to wonder if we will end up with a two tier cm system and it should also happen to day nurseries. Where the satisfactory nurseries are de regulated and become cheaper and cms who don't want the paperwork etc de register and charge less but neither of them can take Childcare Vouchers be paid with Tax Credits or deliver the Free places.

Those of us who want to remain professional and do all the work can more easily become Accredited, no more silly hoops for different areas to jump through like Herts cms having to do the Quality Scheme but pre school and Nurseries don't :rolleyes:

We can accept Childcare Vouchers and Tax Credit payments. We can also have up to 4 under fives.
Then parents will have a chioce.

email the above to jeremy vine. the more people who do, the more likely they are to discuss it. well done to radio 4 for talking positively to a childminder!

Chimps Childminding
21-05-2012, 07:35 AM
I haven't heard anything, but I certainly don't want to have to reduce my fees and have to take on more children to cover it!!!

I admit I must be getting old (50) but I only have 3 under 5's 1 day a week and tbh I am exhausted by the end of the day, I certainly wouldn't think about having to have 5 to make the same money!!! :angry:

Helen79
21-05-2012, 07:41 AM
I didn't hear the show but I haven't had an enquiry for over a year, not even 1 phonecall. Not sure how lowering my costs will get more children as I'm the same price as the nursery. I don't advertise my prices either so it's not like parents are phoning me, finding out how much I charge and then choosing to go to nursery instead as it's cheaper.
There's just no children needing childcare round here as the unemployment rate is so high.

Helen79
21-05-2012, 07:44 AM
The other advantage of cm having is less children is that we're more flexible with our outings. I'll happily take 3 under 5's to the park or soft play but 5 under 5's would just be impossible and totally unsafe for me.

It will really restrict what outings and outside play I could offer and we would be stuck indoors all day.

rickysmiths
21-05-2012, 07:45 AM
I haven't heard anything, but I certainly don't want to have to reduce my fees and have to take on more children to cover it!!!

I admit I must be getting old (50) but I only have 3 under 5's 1 day a week and tbh I am exhausted by the end of the day, I certainly wouldn't think about having to have 5 to make the same money!!! :angry:

You are a mere youngster!!! I am 57 and have 3 a day and one on a Sat and Sunday and am babysitting once a week for six weeks and until recently 4 a day 5 days a week.

rickysmiths
21-05-2012, 07:54 AM
i heard on the 7oclock news on radio 2 that elizabeth trust wants childminders to lower their costs by taking on more children.

i don't know if it will be covered, but i have just emailed jeremy vine on radio 2 to put across my points about deregulation. i wondered that if everyone did, maybe it would be discussed and we would reach a wider audience?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jeremy-vine/contact/

i am now going to be out all day, so won't hear what else is going on!

Just found this which may give people an in site into what Elizabeth Truss is saying:

http://www.centreforum.org/

Penny1959
21-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Not heard this - will be emailing him.

Thanks for information

Penny :)

christine e
21-05-2012, 08:10 AM
The other advantage of cm having is less children is that we're more flexible with our outings. I'll happily take 3 under 5's to the park or soft play but 5 under 5's would just be impossible and totally unsafe for me.

It will really restrict what outings and outside play I could offer and we would be stuck indoors all day.

I have put something about this in my email to Jeremy Vine Show!

uf353432
21-05-2012, 08:28 AM
I've emailed:

I've outlined that rates for childcare are not dictated by the number of children - but the prevailing rate in the local area. CM's are often cheaper than local nurseries - so it doesn't follow that larger ratio's reduce hourly rates.

I went on to say that even if they granted larger ratio's there is no g'tee we would fill those spaces - if demand isn't there - we would end up working as hard as we do now for less income - and childminders have a right to earn an income - most would like to just earn a modest income - just enough to make the stress of the job worth while.

I also talked about how increased ratio's would change the way in which childminders practiced - many would be restricted to walking distance unless they had the car or the funds to seat 5 children, not to mention car seats and any other safety equipment. With increased ratio's increases safeguarding risks there would be a reduced flexibility. In addition not all childminders have the space to look after 5 younge children, people work from home not all homes are huge, and some parents prefer the smaller ratio's.