PDA

View Full Version : Assistant for maternity cover

candlequeen
19-05-2012, 07:38 PM
I am most likely pregnant and already worrying about how to manage work around having another child. I have my own daughter who is 3 and I have recently taken on 2 new babies who are both wonderful kids, who I love looking after and get on really well with the parents - for the first time since minding everything is going really well and I'd hate to lose these children.

I have someone in mind who would be a great assistant, and I'd love to use her as a way of keeping these children on. But as I'd need her 4 or 5 full days a week I believe I'd need to become an employer. Is this something I should be wary of? I would be in a terrible situation if she got pregnant or ill, as I wouldn't be earning the money but would still have to pay her, wouldn't I? Can anyone offer any advice?

rickysmiths
19-05-2012, 08:16 PM
You would be best to check with HMRC. It is my belief and what I was advised was that if an Assistant worked more than so many hours a week you indeed do have to become their employer. As such you have to pay their tax and NI and produce a proper payroll. My accountant would have done this for quite a low cost.
But you have to pay min wage, paid holidays which are currently 25 days pa and sick pay and maternity pay. You would have to pay for any training as well.

For me it was too much of an undertaking and I would have worried if I took on extra children because I had an assistant I would have all the extra costs as well. I felt that the extra children wouldn't have earned me anything so what was the point of working with an assistant?

Also you can't leave the assistant in sole charge you would have to be working with them at all times.