PDA

View Full Version : Out of date food....

SimplyLucy
04-06-2008, 06:46 PM
My mindees all bring lunch boxes with them. Today one of my mindees turned up with a couple of fromage frais, one for lunch and one for tea.

They both went out of date on the 30th May so I didn't give them to him, I just left them in his lunch box.

I was going to say something to mum but forgot at collection time.

He's had out of date ones before but usually only a day, I've fed him these as I would let my children eat them.

I know we all have different views on out of date foods so what would you have done?

Lou
04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
i would have put back in lunchbox and said sorry couldnt give him those as they are out of date, so i gave him some of my own.

karenjoy
04-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Prob what you did!, If mum asks say it was out of date by quite a few days x

cloud9
04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
My mindees all bring lunch boxes with them. Today one of my mindees turned up with a couple of fromage frais, one for lunch and one for tea.

They both went out of date on the 30th May so I didn't give them to him, I just left them in his lunch box.

I was going to say something to mum but forgot at collection time.

He's had out of date ones before but usually only a day, I've fed him these as I would let my children eat them.

I know we all have different views on out of date foods so what would you have done?

yep i wouldnt give any of the mindees out of date food even by a day though. Regardless of whether you would let your child eat them if they were only a day he isn't your child so therefore u shouldn't give him them. Also i can't imagine ofsted would be impressed with this regardless of it being just out of date by a day. Also im not sure the parent would agree with that decision to feed their child out of date food if they come down ill

katickles
04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I would have done the same - if the lo had become ill then i'm sure parents would have said something:rolleyes:

foxy lady
04-06-2008, 06:58 PM
i thinkyou did the right thing i wouldnt have given them to him eather:eek:

sarah707
04-06-2008, 07:07 PM
You're right - I would have done the same - it's not worth the risk :panic:

miss muffit
04-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I agree with the others, I might have also put a note in the lunchbox to mum saying sorry didnt give ?? this ?? today as it was out of date.

Annie_T
04-06-2008, 07:21 PM
thats not good

poor kids too

write a reminder to inform parent when he next due to you hun

mum22
04-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I agree, would not give out of date food, and would tell mum that i would not give out of date food.

x helen

Jinx
04-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I am always finding out of date yoghurts in my fridge! Where do they hide?

Kids know to check the dates before eating now.

You def did the right thing. I wouldn't have given it either. :panic:

Jinx x

mrsbumbles
04-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I would not eat out of date stuff myself and would not expect my mindees to eat it either, wether the parents have provided it or not. Yuck Yuck Yuck

If that child feel ill in your care, Ofsted would find you responsible for feeding that to the child! :panic:

Would mention it to the parents tomorrow:thumbsup:

angeldelight
04-06-2008, 07:56 PM
You were right

I would mention it to the parent tomorrow though

Good luck

Angel xx

sarah32
04-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I wouldnt eat out of date food so wouldnt give it to my children or mindees. But like some said sometimes thing get left in the fridge and not thrown out.

Maybe she didnt see that date

carolinel
04-06-2008, 08:57 PM
i'd have done the same. i am really funny with dates though and am really strict with use by OR best before dates.

angeldelight
04-06-2008, 09:04 PM
I am the same Caroline

I prefer something to have a few days left on the date because im so funny about things

Angel xx

haribo
04-06-2008, 09:08 PM
ive not long done food hygiene course and our tutor said use by dates must be adhered to but best before dates are just a guide and food is usually perfectly safe for quite a while after !(except for eggs)

breezy
04-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm terrible I throw anything and everything i'm not sure of or are out of date away!

crazybones
04-06-2008, 09:14 PM
I am paranoid about dates on food and I throw loads away. If hubby catches me he says "Give it to me I'll eat it". Have to say hubby hasnt had a day off sick in 20 years.

charleyfarley
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't and haven't in the past given out of date food to anyone.

I have been sent o o d food before and thrown it away, of course I've told the parents what I did

We waste so much food in our house, I'm terrible for throwing anything that's been there for a few days, especially salad stuff and bread

Carol xx

Cazz
04-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I am paranoid about dates on food and I throw loads away. If hubby catches me he says "Give it to me I'll eat it". Have to say hubby hasnt had a day off sick in 20 years.

I'm exactly the same and my kids always check yogurts etc and won't eat them if they're out of date! It's a real bone of contention with my hubby and he loves to have a moan about it. He's a chef with a really strong stomach (I don't mean his food is bad :laughing: , more likely that he's tasted food that hasn't finished cooking for the last 23 years!) and if he's at home he won't let me throw things away as he'll eat them - and he also hasn't had any time off sick since I've known him, with the exception of a back problem.

His real gripe is because I can't resist special offers and bogof's at supermarkets cos he then comments it's not cheaper if we throw it away :(
My mum also has an opinion on it - she says "what do you think we did years ago when there weren't dates on food and no fridges!".

Carole x

polobear1970
05-06-2008, 05:23 AM
I agree with the others, I might have also put a note in the lunchbox to mum saying sorry didnt give ?? this ?? today as it was out of date.

This is what i would have done.

Lisa

polobear1970
05-06-2008, 05:25 AM
Thats assuming I knew what what the date was to start with :blush: :blush:

Lisa

FizzysFriends
05-06-2008, 05:40 AM
I wouldn't have given it either.

We dont eat out of date food but then we rarely get any hear as I shop every couple of days and only buy small amount. Also DD is a dustbin and eats for England, lol

susi513
05-06-2008, 09:24 AM
I would stick a post it on the out of date food, saying something like "spotted the date, so gave one of mine instead"

I made a terrible mistake yesterday of cooking a bought pudding that was out of date. I'd picked up a mindee from an after school club and consequently was rushing about more than usual to get dinner out and finished before they had to go home. But no excuse, I should have checked dates before cooking it.

And even worse, I actually put it on the table and mindees tasted it before we realised it wasn't right. I was mortified and whisked it away. I explained to the parents what had happened & apologised, luckily they've all got a sense of humour and no-one was cross or upset with me. I feel a complete idiot.