PDA

View Full Version : story/colours/activity help please

mushpea
18-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I have gone blank and can't think of any thing to do with the kids next week,, I did think of the stick man book then go to the woods and collect sticks then later in the week make stick men and also there's a bridge were we can do pooh sticks but I'm sure stick man is a winter/christmas book? so not sure if it right for this season !
so any ideas on what we can do? my youngest needs to practise colours but we have already done elmer

jumpinjen
18-05-2012, 08:28 PM
There is a book called 'what makes a rainbow' that has colours and animals in or how about the chameleon eric carle book that goes through colours - you could get the children to collect toys and all sorts of specific colours and build them into a toy rainbow (fun to tidy up :D), let them loose with the primary colours in paint and see how they go mixing and naming new colours (brown brown brown if anything like my house!!).

errrrrr......

kel1983
18-05-2012, 08:34 PM
we went to the woods last week and one of the children said they were looking for the gruffalo. We then got onto stick man so bought some sticks back with us and made stick men. We read Stick man and the Gruffalos child which stick man appears in.

I agree it is a winter book but the kids love it all year round.

Baildon bears
18-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I like the book Brown bear brown bear what can you see, also the blue balloon is good.

miffy
18-05-2012, 09:41 PM
There's lots of ideas for colour activities here

http://preschoolexpress.com/theme_station.shtml

Miffy xx

BucksCM
18-05-2012, 11:14 PM
If you are going on a walk you could always let the children make a story stick. At the beginning get them to find a nice sturdy stick and as they walk they collect things that interest them and tie them to the stick...you could use different coloured wool. then when you get home the idea is that the children tell you what they have collected and talk about what's on their stick. You could also use a very strong double sided sticky tape if wool is too fidley (sp?)
I went in a course once and we were given card with tape on and stuff stuck well..

The Juggler
19-05-2012, 07:45 AM
do any of the other children have a real interest you can build into. A good book I can think of is rainbow fish. you could then link into rainbows, rain, clouds, sun and weather. maybe get a weather chart for them to tick todays weather (i have a wipeable poster)

I would just stick with spring themes hon. look at the colours of flowers as you are walking, ask her what colour, point hte colours out. you could build this into lots of KUW - exploration/time/growth - so check out the trees that now have leaves, have they got flowers yet, spot nests, colours of birds, butterflies and grow seeds, and talk about colours the veggies will be. :thumbsup:

mushpea
19-05-2012, 09:03 AM
thanks folks some lovley ideas,, the stick with things stuck to it we did that a few weeks ago but we used toilet rolls and double sided tape and the children loved the idea.
spring things we have done a lot of , I have an allotment so we grow lots of bits over there and have grown a bean in a Jar so they can see how it grows, have done cress heads and gonna be planting herbs for a sensory area when I remember to buy some lol.
Dont have the brown bear book but seem to remember getting a polar bear book thats similar so will have to dig that out
as for their interests, one child is in to thomas tank engine but his parents do a lot of stuff with that at home with him and I dont have any thomas bits or know much about it :blush:, however they are all really into books and storys which is why I was thinking along the book theme .
I had a :idea: moment when walking the dog this morning, thought of the 3 little piggys, could collect sticks and make the stick house, we have hay for the straw house and use lego for the brick house plus make pig pics and masks so now I cant decide wether to do that or the stick man or just go with the flow oh decisions :laughing: