PDA

View Full Version : First enquiry (short term care)...need some advice pls

Valencia
18-05-2012, 05:47 PM
So I had my first enquiry today...

Parent normally has an au pair but has had to fire them due to gross misconduct. She wants me to look after her daughter short term until she can get a replacement. Daughter is an EY space.

Questions:

1. What sort of contract do I use? Is there one I can use on a rolling basis. I don't have any presently as only just registered. Can I buy from NCMA/MM or make my own? I am happy to take on the work as it is short term and it is friend.

2. Daughter goes to nursery two mornings a week (not a free place). I told her that I would still charge for while she is at nursery because I will not be able to fill space. This is correct right? Also it is not a nursery where I would normally pick up from and will need to drive there therefore incurring additional cost, but again happy to do so as it will short term and don't have any other pick ups at the moment.

3. When does the parent fill out the child record form? After contracts signed or before?

Thanks.

Bridey
18-05-2012, 08:04 PM
1. I would advise a proper contract as they are drawn up to cover us in most eventualities and it would be good for you to have a look at one anyway. If you are a member of the NMCA then you need to use their contracts to be covered by their legal assistance. I have switched to MM but I am not a member of the NMCA and use MM insurance - that is my personal preference but you need to decide yourself how you want to do things :)

The contract will have a start date and you fill in the hours you are working and the fees you will be charging. It stays in place until you get notice that she wishes to leave. You can put on the contract that you require a certain number of weeks notice of this happening.

2. Yes, minders do generally charge while a child is at nursery - you don't have to but, like you say, you will be using petrol and time to drop off and pick up.

3. I get them to fill out the child record form before I draw up the contract as some of the information on it will be needed to fill in the contract anyway.

Hope this helps, good luck!

The Juggler
19-05-2012, 08:09 AM
So I had my first enquiry today...

Parent normally has an au pair but has had to fire them due to gross misconduct. She wants me to look after her daughter short term until she can get a replacement. Daughter is an EY space.

Questions:

1. What sort of contract do I use? Is there one I can use on a rolling basis. I don't have any presently as only just registered. Can I buy from NCMA/MM or make my own? I am happy to take on the work as it is short term and it is friend. i'd just use an MM or NCMA one to cover yourself. Just put a shorter notice period or fixed end date hon, whatever suits you. If she is still looking for a replacement au pair then I'd tell her that if a long term enquiry comes along you will have to give notice but will give her say, 2 weeks

2. Daughter goes to nursery two mornings a week (not a free place). I told her that I would still charge for while she is at nursery because I will not be able to fill space. This is correct right? Also it is not a nursery where I would normally pick up from and will need to drive there therefore incurring additional cost, but again happy to do so as it will short term and don't have any other pick ups at the moment.I would def. charge her a full day or minimum number of hours at a higher rate (which would be roughly similar ;)

3. When does the parent fill out the child record form? After contracts signed or before? once contract is signed get her to sign all the child record and permission forms as you would for a full time contract :thumbsup:

Thanks.

good luck:):)

Valencia
24-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Thank you both - very helpful!