PDA

View Full Version : 18mths and SCREAMS all day!

butterfly
18-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Is it OK for an 18mth old to scream all day?! I mean I know it's not ok - they should be happy and playing - but are some children just like that?

I have one who screams the whole day unless she's asleep. She won't eat or drink anything (unless it's milk in a bottle) and she will ask to go to 'bed' even 10 mins after waking. I think it's a habit (maybe her parents keep putting her to bed when she's screaming!

I've talked to the parents who don't seem to think there's a problem! She's driving me crazy though!!! Even when playing she screams!

Helen79
18-05-2012, 10:55 AM
does she scream at home all day too? if she's the same at home maybe a trip to the hv might help.

Asking to go to bed might be a coping mechanism rather than being tired. She may have extreme seperation anxiety and going to bed and sleeping will make her day go quicker and help her to cope with being away from mum.

once she's had her sleep in the cot, have you got a comfy area where she can go to lie down instead of the cot so she's still in the same room and can get used to being with everyone else while still feeling safe.

butterfly
18-05-2012, 11:01 AM
She sleeps in the buggy because she can climb out of the cot! I have wondered about bringing the buggy into the play area so she can sit in or not as she chooses

VeggieSausage
18-05-2012, 11:44 AM
I have a screamer and it is hard so big sympathy from me :group hug:

sarah707
18-05-2012, 02:08 PM
For some children it is a noise... for others it is an indicator of a concern.

Does she communicate as well as scream? xx

Polly2
18-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Is she a new child? settling in with you? Sometimes it takes a while to get past this stage, I fully sympathise - I have a screamer at the moment :(

butterfly
18-05-2012, 03:01 PM
She's not new I've had her for 9 months. She was bad at the start then better a couple of months a go and now it is awful.

She asks for bed, buggy and milk as well as being able to say a few other words.