PDA

View Full Version : Religious themed practices v. 'diversity'

PerkyEars
17-05-2012, 09:07 PM
I have a knotty question. This is a question really for any minders who follow a specific faith. I'm coming at it from a Christian viewpoint, but I'm sure the general issues are just as applicable to minders of other faiths.

To what extent is it considered acceptable (by fellow professionals, and ofsted) for a registered childminder to have a religious ethos or faith-themed activities? Is it an issue for negotiation between a childminder and client, or is it considered unacceptable and excluding of families who would not want their child to participate.

Specifically, I've just been looking at Godly Play (http://www.godlyplay.org.uk/whatisgodlyplay.html), which is multisensory, creative play activities and story telling around Christian stories. I've seen children really engage with it in church groups, and like the idea of offering it in my setting.

The families I currently mind would not be keen I'm sure as none of them are Christians, so I would consider doing it on a currently free day with my DD. If another family then came along to potentially use that day and this put them off, would I be considered to be not providing an inclusive service? Or is it up to me what I offer in my own home/business?

Are there examples of childminders who offer a particular faith-based approach?

LChurch
17-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Hi I currently take my mindees to toddler praise at my Church, this is a spin off group from toddlers group. It is a different day to the main toddler group. when one of my mindees left the parents wrote a lovely card saying they were so pleased that I had taken care of mindees faith and whathave you, I am fortuante that most of my mindees are happy to go to it, one though tends to meet me after it has finished although i think they are realising that mindee would benefit from it too even though they are not Christians. Not sure if I have answered your question though! I am always upfront about my faith when parents meet me as it is in my policies under equalities etc! I have found that most have been quite happy for their children to go to these toddler groups as they see it can benefit their children! In fact we now have a few Hindus that come to toddler praise and they are happy to join in etc. One family have gone back to India now which was quite sad when we had to say goodbye to them but we got some lovely Indian treats from them!

singingcactus
18-05-2012, 06:48 AM
I would say that as long as you make it clear to parents at interview that you will be teaching your religion and worshipping with the children then there can be no issue with it. If a parent does not want their child to be in an overtly christian environment, they will not use you, but if a parent does want their child to have a lot of christian input then they will choose you.
It can only be a problem if you are teaching your religion to the children, and including the children in worship, without parental knowledge.
Personally I would not use you because I am not christian, and do not want my children worshipping in a christian faith - or any other faith, even my own, until they are old enough to choose themselves. But there are christian parents out there who would delight in knowing their children are being raised in a way they would do it at home if they did not need to go to work.
I would say, go for it :)

mama2three
18-05-2012, 06:55 AM
I do do christian based activities - picked up over the years as a childrens liturgist at mass. We also go to 'Teddies time for God' once a month which is a churchgroup.
But then I also do crafts and activities that cover diwali , holi , whatever takes our interest. We do not 'worship' , I do not teach the 'faith' - together we do lots and lots of things to find out about festivals and beliefs in the world around us.
There are christian artefacts ( well , stuff!!) around my home - my rosary , a crucifix - Im not going to hide my faith but at the same time I cant use my position as a childminder to 'push' it either.

sarah707
18-05-2012, 06:58 AM
We have a local childminder who gets the vast majority of her families from the church where she worships and she takes them to church groups etc. She makes it clear to parents that the children will be involved and it is up to them if they want their child to participate.

She is lucky that the church is busy and has an active youth group etc and there are lots of children coming through - if it was a quieter church she might struggle.

I also know a childminder who is Jehovah's Witness faith and she normally takes children from the same faith.

HOWEVER to fully embrace the requirements of the EYFS you also need to reflect on how you will be inclusive to all families who might want to use your provision.

Just like faith schools, parents might choose you because you have a prayer room or are the same cultural background as them... but you are also required to offer children a broad understanding of religions and cultures within your local community and the wider world.

Hth :D

Bridey
18-05-2012, 07:34 AM
I think you may need to be prepared that this decision could put people off and affect your business. However, if you can afford to do this and it would make you happier then, as long as you can show that you have an inclusive policy, that the parents are happy and that you also do activities that show diversity then I can't see a problem.

PerkyEars
19-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone. That's really encouraging. :)