PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we want to be de-regulated?

buzzy bee
17-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I don't 100% understand the implications... what does it actually mean for us in terms of our businesses? Will less parents choose childminders?

sarah707
17-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Childminders have spent a lot of time and effort and money training, studying, lobbying, professionalising, working towards being accepted on the same level as other early years providers.

It has taken years and years for us to accepted and for us to be regarded as a viable and real alternative to nurseries etc.

There are still some who do not see us as equals... there is still a lot of work to be done. But we are getting there slowly and surely.

We have embraced Ofsted regulation, Eyfs, individual inspections, training, changing regulations and everything else they have thrown at us and we have grown stronger as a result.

These are just some of the reasons why it would hurt so much if we were turned back into a second choice where parents could choose between a nursery / pre-school where they get 'the best' or someone who minds their children.

Of course there are some who will say great - I hate Ofsted and all it stands for - I dislike inspections - I don't want to be regulated and checked - I don't like having to do the paperwork.

To those I say - before you give up on everything that others have worked so hard to achieve on your behalf... please look very carefully at the alternatives and at least make an informed decision.

What are the alternatives? Well there seem to be a lot of different ideas flying around - from deregulation ... to group inspections ... to agencies we have to pay a percentage of our income ... to losing our right to take vouchers, tax credits etc ... to being inspected by Sure Start centres or development workers ... to losing our self employed status by having to work with agencies.

There are lots of different ideas flying around. Some might be bunkum - some might be really seriously being considered. At the moment we do not really know.

Do we want more change? Or do we want to be left alone to do our jobs on a level playing field with all those who work with young children?

If we want to continue as we are now then we need to join together and fight the changes.

I think I got a bit carried away :o It is something I feel strongly about :D

zippy
17-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Do your parents claim tax credits or vouchers to help with their childcare costs, if they do they'll probably no longer use you as you won't be classed as eligible childcare, so they won't be able to claim. The whole reason the government is doing this is to try and drive the cost of childcare down, do you want to go back to working for £1.80 an hour, I know I don't. There will be loads of implications if this comes about and none will be good for us or the children.

uf353432
17-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I became a childminder not to be a glorified babysitter but a professional childminder - I have jumped through every hoop and dotted every i, I don't want the goal posts moving back 6 years. I sent an email out to all my parents outlining the situation and inviting feedback - the emails and letters from my parents endorses that I do an amazing job, that childminders are a valuable part of the childcare mix that i'm not just there 'look after them' but to help them learn, let them grow, give them opportunities. I put my heart and soul into my business - I have ownership of everything I do, every decision I make. I am proud of my setting and the children in my care. Its not just a business its the love of my life after my husband and kids.

Deregulation says to me that what I do is not important - you try telling that to my parents, to my kids - what I do is important. My business matters to me because of that. My greatest weapon against preschools and nurseries is that if I want to buy resources for an impromptu activity or a inhancement in my setting I have full control - deregulation plans means that someone else decides my fee's, takes money from my pocket and dictates if I get business. I have successfully created an amazing setting in a rural location - I am proud of that!

stargazer1
18-05-2012, 05:52 AM
I am new to childminding and whilst I have heard the "rumours" regarding deregulation, I havent looked into it a great deal. Is it a real threat, is it likely to happen? x

Penny1959
18-05-2012, 06:03 AM
I am new to childminding and whilst I have heard the "rumours" regarding deregulation, I havent looked into it a great deal. Is it a real threat, is it likely to happen? x

We don't know yet - but the government is looking to save money from the Ofsted budget and although nothing will happen straight away - the discussion have started.

As has been said some of the ideas are a backward step and to put it bluntly insulting to childminders professionalism.

So in answer to you question - I think yes 'something' will happen - but what that something will be we do not yet know.

Penny :)

sarah707
18-05-2012, 06:47 AM

There are letters to and from my MP and lower down an article from Nursery World magazine about one deregulation option currently being discussed on this thread -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=102087

Penny has also written a letter about it which you can find here -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=101884

Please take time to read them and then decide for yourself if you think the threat is real... we think so and are joining a growing group of childminders who think it needs fighting.

:D

manjay
18-05-2012, 08:09 AM

Not in Wales hun:thumbsup:

Helen79
18-05-2012, 08:12 AM
does anyone know if there's any timescales for this and when changes, if any, will be made?

sweets
18-05-2012, 08:57 AM
My DO told me that if it is going to happen it will be by this sept!

They are fighting it tho!

Mouse
18-05-2012, 09:03 AM

I'd get your DO to check her facts! Any changes will need full consultations and major changes in law, so certainly won't happen that quickly.

JCrakers
18-05-2012, 09:28 AM

I wouldnt have thought it would happen that quickly :eek: Things always take a long while to get sorted out.

I'm hoping nothing changes because If I was to be deregulated Id be getting a job in a shop. I'd lower my fees...........to '0' because I wouldnt be childminding anymore :D

stargazer1
18-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Not in Wales hun:thumbsup:

Whoop!!!:clapping::clapping:

Am behind the minders under Ofsted 100% though. Fight for what you have worked so hard to build up xx

AliceK
18-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I wouldnt have thought it would happen that quickly :eek: Things always take a long while to get sorted out.

I'm hoping nothing changes because If I was to be deregulated Id be getting a job in a shop. I'd lower my fees...........to '0' because I wouldnt be childminding anymore :D

Same here. I'm self employed, if I have to work through an agency, AND pay for the priviledge then I sure as hell wont be childminding anymore.

xxx

Helen79
18-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Same here. I'm self employed, if I have to work through an agency, AND pay for the priviledge then I sure as hell wont be childminding anymore.

me too, I get paid less than min wage before expenses without having to pay another 10% on top of all my other expenses.
ds starts school in Sept and dd turns 8 in Feb so I was really hoping that by this time next year I would be better off financially due to being able to increase my numbers. If the deregulation goes ahead then I'll be having to look for another job after building up my business for the last 4 yrs :(

does anyone know if there's plans for parents to still be able to claim tax credits for cm if we're not registered?

It's all good saying that they'll increase our numbers so we can have more children and therefore charge less but round here work is so slow that there just isn't any children to look after so that won't work here.

buzzy bee
18-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the replies...

I hope I didn't upset anyone - I just genuinely can't get my head around what it would mean for us.

If I wasn't a childminder, I would send my children to one - not because they're regulated or anything, just because if my children couldn't be at home with me I would want them to be in an environment as close to that as possible. And I know other mums who feel the same way, so I suppose to some parents it won't matter if we're regulated - they'll still send their kids to us.

But that's a good point about childcare vouchers and tax credits, and I'm assuming it will be the same for the free 3 year old funding - hadn't thought of that.

I am new to childminding so I wasn't around when others were fighting to get us to be equal to nurseries and pre-schools but I am very grateful to everyone who did that and I know how much hard work it must have been and what a kick in the teeth it would be for you :thumbsup:

buzzy bee
18-05-2012, 10:19 AM
deregulation plans means that someone else decides my fee's, takes money from my pocket and dictates if I get business.

Who would dictate all this to us and decide if we get business - would we not still be in charge of our own business??

uf353432
18-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Who would dictate all this to us and decide if we get business - would we not still be in charge of our own business??

under the agency model they "then act as intermediaries between parents and childcarers, handling payments and helping to negotiate hourly rates"

AliceK
18-05-2012, 11:02 AM
me too, I get paid less than min wage before expenses without having to pay another 10% on top of all my other expenses.
ds starts school in Sept and dd turns 8 in Feb so I was really hoping that by this time next year I would be better off financially due to being able to increase my numbers. If the deregulation goes ahead then I'll be having to look for another job after building up my business for the last 4 yrs :(

does anyone know if there's plans for parents to still be able to claim tax credits for cm if we're not registered?

It's all good saying that they'll increase our numbers so we can have more children and therefore charge less but round here work is so slow that there just isn't any children to look after so that won't work here.

I'm the same. I also work for less than the minimum wage most days. My DS was 8 this month so moved out of my numbers and DD starts school this year which would open up an EY space. So just as I thought things might get slightly better financially all this rubbish might happen not to mention 3 of my EY's mums are having babies later this year so unless I can replace 2 of them I may as well give up.
(Sorry having a panic day today, ignore me :blush: )

xxxx

onceinabluemoon
18-05-2012, 11:20 AM

LMAO my DO told me its not going to happen for years...

Don't think any of them know what the heck is going on...

Mouse
18-05-2012, 11:47 AM
To clear up one point though, de-regulation DOES NOT mean we will all be working under agencies.

Ofsted de-regulation means we would no longer be registered, inspected or regulated by Ofsted.
There are alternatives and the agency approach is just one of those being talked about.

Personally, I do think it's something we should all be aware of and should make our opinions known, but I don't think we need to go into a mad panic about. Don't hide your head in the sand, but don't lose it either :D