PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable?

lorettacritchet
17-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Hi, okay so I would like to know what people put down as food and drink and toys and equipment towards their expenses this year.

My totals were food £3,440 and toys and equipment including stationary, a new phone for my assistant, new car seats which I did need and new shelving unit for the childminding boxes etc came to £3k.....my accountant hasn't put all these figures down....I don't entirely think these numbers are too unreasonable given that i have taken on loads more kids but on the other hand I thought I would seek advise? None of this was personal it was all for cared for children, buying new resources, all my expenses can be proved and have receipts for. Should I leave what my accountant did? (he left £1k off each toys and food) but this means i have to pay tax now :(

BucksCM
17-05-2012, 06:42 PM
I can sort off see why...that's a lot of expenses...BUT...they are, as you say, legitimate!! So why should he tell you not to put them down??
Also, if you only started last year, surely they are part of setting up costs?? I would definitely question this! It's fiddling the books but the other way!?!?

rickysmiths
17-05-2012, 06:55 PM
If you have receipts to support it it should be fine I had £4000 of food and a total of £10,500 expenses for the last tax year and that included new shelving for my playroom new high chairs and a lot of new toys and book, new storage boxes. There was also a lot of files, books, paper and ink for my Level Three and because i have had a larger than normal number of children come and go.

My accountant hasn't quibbled at putting everything through. She even reminded me I hadn't added the interest on my car loan :laughing:

Sounds like you need a different Accountant to me.

aly
17-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Sounds like you need a different Accountant to me.
agree.....:thumbsup:

francinejayne
17-05-2012, 09:18 PM
My expenses are also high, but I have receipts for everything - I just like buying new books and toys, I like having new resources - and I reckon I could rival Baker Ross with the amount of craft supplies I have in my garage!!

So regardless of how high my expenses are - I will put them all through as that's what they are.

I imagine you will also get lots of childminders who hardly spend any money at all. Who is right and who is wrong? Is there a right or a wrong?

miffy
17-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I think you should be asking your accountant why he has not put all your expenses through.

Miffy xx

madmamma
17-05-2012, 10:45 PM
If you have a legitimate expense your accountant should be doing their job correctly and putting it through!

Have you questioned him as to why he hasn't?

rickysmiths
18-05-2012, 08:01 AM
I seem to remember you had Accountant problems awhile ago. Is this the same accountant? If it is leave him. It doesn't sound as if he knows what he is doing.

Did you contact my accountant? She is a real gem.

lorettacritchet
18-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Ok glad it's not just me then! I originally questionned things with the accountant when i got the account statements and apparently the excuse was he didn't want to flag up with an investigation with the tax man and then I looked at the toys and food as a whole against what I wanted to claim for in my NCMA book, noticing a £1k difference in each subject. I have gone back to him now asking him to increase them both as had receipts to back up expenses.
Rickysmith - I did move accountant to this one who was recommended and cheaper. I may be enquiring again with your accountant if this continues. I am really not happy - why I end up doing an accountants work if I pay them is stupid!

My expenses are also high, but I have receipts for everything - I just like buying new books and toys, I like having new resources - and I reckon I could rival Baker Ross with the amount of craft supplies I have in my garage!!

So regardless of how high my expenses are - I will put them all through as that's what they are.

I imagine you will also get lots of childminders who hardly spend any money at all. Who is right and who is wrong? Is there a right or a wrong?

Chatterbox Childcare
18-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I would go back and challenge him as ask why he hasn't included them. He is the professional here - or not!!

Change your accountant.

Daftbat
18-05-2012, 01:20 PM
I agree with others that it would seem that your accountant doesn't seem to be up to the job. It is really easy to do your own accounts but I understand that some people don't feel confident to do them.

Its difficult to gauge from other peoples expenses what is realistic since we all have different homes, circumstances, numbers of children etc. So long as you are being truthful about income and expenses there isn't a lot that can go wrong.

One of my customers is an accountant - if you live in Derbyshire I could pass on their details. Otherwise try and get a good recomendation from someone else.