PDA

View Full Version : Excluding for headlice

Happy Bunny
17-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Are nurseries allowed to call a parent to collect their child if the child has headlice.

Bridey
17-05-2012, 08:54 AM
If its in their policies then I would say yes.

Tink
17-05-2012, 08:58 AM
When I worked in a nursery we were never allowed as it was classed as child discrimination!!
We had to give parents a letter saying we have had a reported case of head lice, please check and treat your child's hair if necessary.

AgentTink
17-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Everywhere had different policies, so im not sure there is a set answer.

The HPA doesn't recommend a exclusion period, however it does recommend treatment.

If this happened in my setting, and the child cannot stop scratching and has not been treated then i would advised parent to come and collect and start a treatment immediatley. It would not be fair to leave a child all day who has a serve case as they would be irritable. However if just a mild case it shouldnt impact on the day so i would continue as normal and get in touch with parent and let them know that i suspected nits.

But I would not exclude any further than this.

ziggy
17-05-2012, 10:17 AM
At the nursery where i worked we werent allowed to but i so wish we had. My grandaughter attended the nursery full time and was one of the unlucky ones to be forever having them.

I would check daily but it didnt help, you only need one child in a setting with them and its a nightmare to get rid!!! Thankfully in 8yrs minding i have never had a child with them:)

jumping j
17-05-2012, 10:22 AM
I've just had a lo with serious headlice.
Luckily none of the others have them
Mum's kept him off nursery and away from me and the other lo's because she can't shift them, but that's her decision.

Tazmin68
17-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Hi
We are told to stick to hpa guidelines which mean cannot exclude for headlice. Would be good if we could override them I would not be sitting here with conjunctivitis caught from a child which is another one which is not exclusion

fluff1975
17-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't exclude for headlice. I've been the parent whose child continuously had it. If we'd kept her off school she'd have missed a whole school year. I show my parents how to effectively check for the eggs and live lice and how to get rid of them. Not needed to yet though (touch wood!).

nikki thomson
17-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I hate headlice with a passion and even more parents who don't treat there children with headlice, ewwwwww.
My dd had headlice about a month ago, she didn't have many and luckily my other two children and myself didn't have them but I went through her hair thoroughly three times on the day I found them and then every morning and every night for two weeks I went through her hair, sectioned it off and made sure they were all gone, sounds abit excessive but if every parent did this there wouldn't be headlice.
I can't cope when you can see them crawling around in kids hairs, sort it out, yes it's a pain but ewwww, i really don't like headlice.

fluff1975
17-05-2012, 01:37 PM
I hate headlice with a passion and even more parents who don't treat there children with headlice, ewwwwww.
My dd had headlice about a month ago, she didn't have many and luckily my other two children and myself didn't have them but I went through her hair thoroughly three times on the day I found them and then every morning and every night for two weeks I went through her hair, sectioned it off and made sure they were all gone, sounds abit excessive but if every parent did this there wouldn't be headlice.
I can't cope when you can see them crawling around in kids hairs, sort it out, yes it's a pain but ewwww, i really don't like headlice.

"Once a week, take a peek". My two have got used to it now. It's so quick to do and easy, even with my eldest having hair to her bum! My friends my get sick of me asking if they've checked this week!!! ;)