PDA

View Full Version : Why do we bother???

LittleLegsCM
16-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Do you ever ask yourself this???

I do!
I don't know if it's just because this is known as a low income area or something but I really struggle to get any enthusiasm from my mindees!
This is in regards to food, they sit there and pick at it moaning about what they don't like (always any type of veg!) even though all of their "about me" forms say they eat anything! They are currently sitting at the table picking at their food telling each other what fast food is their favourite!!

Then there's themes/event things. For example, I've bought some jubilee decorations and things ready for the last week in may. I had planned an activity every evening that week (making crowns and stuff like that) to then lead up to a little party Friday where they could decorate their own cupcakes jubilee style and have music etc- not one of them is interested! Apparently they don't like parties, it all sounds boring, dont want to do the activities I've told them about.

Makes me feel completely deflated, especially when I ask them for their ideas and they say nothing!! :(

sarah707
16-05-2012, 05:26 PM
We sit and plan with the children and buy any bits and bobs they have asked for - we are lucky our lot enjoy crafts and are generally keen to get involved.

Maybe have a chat with parents - find out what they want from you. It sounds like you are trying too hard.

Hugs xx

ziggy
16-05-2012, 06:08 PM
To be honest if they dont want to do activities i wouldnt waste your money on them.

As for food, i no longer provide meals, they all bring lunch boxes or some thing i can microwave. I provide fruit at snack times, then toast/crackers + cheese/beans at tea time

I would also be asking 'why do i bother'

LittleLegsCM
16-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately, the parents can be just as uninterested as the kids (which I find quite sad tbh) I've asked before about the types of things the kids enjoy doing after school at home and the answer is nearly always the same computer games!

See I worry about NOT doing stuff like this though because say if ofsted turned up that week and we werent doing anything involving the jubilee OR any other time of the year where there's a celebration or religious holiday etc and we weren't doing anything, it would look bad on me, wouldn't it?

Demonjill
16-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Some of my mindees are like this - stick tv, dvd or games on and they sit so quiet glued to the screen and controller:(

Sort out an activity that youve spent ages making and money buying and they do it for 5 minutes, moan and dont look like they are enjoying themselves and there is a huge mess with lots of wasted resources etc:angry:

Glad i have other mindees though that could sit for hours and do crafts and stuff--- but if these kids are all together some days the "bad" kids convince the "good" kids that thats all boring !!:angry:

Daftbat
17-05-2012, 06:56 AM
I think the answer is to get them more involved in the planning of activities as Sarah suggested. I have learnt over the years that kids can't be relied upon not to change their minds about what they want to do.

I tend to plan lots of little bits and pieces which can be dipped into as and when the enthusiasm is there. Also this means that changes in plans due to weather etc can be catered for and we are not needing lots of time to do activities.

Get a brainstorming session going after school one day - circle time session. stick a piece of paper on the fridge and get the kids to write down the things they would like to do - however wacky- over the holidays and you may have more success.:thumbsup:

LittleLegsCM
17-05-2012, 07:05 AM
I had originally true to get then to come up with ideas, things they had thought of and would then hopefully find it more fun, enjoyable etc but on the 3 different occasions I asked I got the same reply "I dunno!"

I have a white board in the playroom and the bigger kids can put ideas on there and suggest other things for days out etc but no matter how much I remind them about it, they never use it.

I'll just keep trying x