PDA

View Full Version : bathing - for those of you who do overnight / late care.

mama2three
15-05-2012, 02:23 PM
A friend has been asked to have a 5 year old until quite late , which she is happy to do.
Mum would like child bathing alongside minders children if possible .

At what age would you say its acceptable to leave a child alone for a few mins in the bath . I leave my own 5 yr old to fetch towels / jamas etc - but wouldnt be happy with leaving someone elses child.

Nor would I be happy them being in bath together which probably means mindee would bathe whilst i dried and dressed my own - but then I wouldnt be in the bathroom with them.

Its just the practicalities that pose difficulties I think - how do you all do it?

Bridey
15-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I would dry and dress my own children in the bathroom while the mindee bathed. There is no way I would leave the mindee on their own. My bathroom isn't that big but I would manage and I think the children would enjoy it to be honest.

AliceK
15-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't bath another child with my own but I would be happy to bath minded child first and then do mine. I would be in the bathroom all the time with minded child though and wouldn't leave them alone.

xxxx

mama2three
15-05-2012, 03:00 PM
She didnt seem to think there was room in her bathroom - I think its more that she has got into the habit of drying and dressing her own in their rooms then straight into bed.

AliceK
15-05-2012, 03:09 PM
She didnt seem to think there was room in her bathroom - I think its more that she has got into the habit of drying and dressing her own in their rooms then straight into bed.

Depends on how old her own are I guess. To OP, Could at least one of your own be trusted to go and play in their own bedroom whilst you bath mindee? I'm sure you could squeeze yourself and 1 child in the bathroom at the same time??

xxxx

mama2three
15-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Depends on how old her own are I guess. To OP, Could at least one of your own be trusted to go and play in their own bedroom whilst you bath mindee? I'm sure you could squeeze yourself and 1 child in the bathroom at the same time??

xxxx

Thanks - its not me . I just said Id be very wary of leaving mindee alone and she came back with comments about small bathroom etc. just thought Id see if I was being overcautious - but it seems most are in agreement that its a nono.

blue bear
15-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Whilst I wouldn't leave a child in the bath, I would leave five year old in my room to watch tv whilst I settled own children then bath mindee.

jane5
15-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Tbh I wouldn't bath the minded child if I had my own to bath.
Overnight care or late leavers really impact on your family life and I'm sure mum can get up earlier in the morning and bath her child.

jumpinjen
15-05-2012, 05:04 PM
A friend has been asked to have a 5 year old until quite late , which she is happy to do.
Mum would like child bathing alongside minders children if possible .

At what age would you say its acceptable to leave a child alone for a few mins in the bath . I leave my own 5 yr old to fetch towels / jamas etc - but wouldnt be happy with leaving someone elses child.

Nor would I be happy them being in bath together which probably means mindee would bathe whilst i dried and dressed my own - but then I wouldnt be in the bathroom with them.

Its just the practicalities that pose difficulties I think - how do you all do it?

i shower the minded children that stay overnight - I wouldn't put them in the bath with mine for hygiene reasons.

We are all upstairs together - i shower my own children apart from my baby and they take turns coming in and out of the bathroom - the mindees can then be reminded to wash their bottom etc without an adult touching them - when toddlers I ran them a bath and sat in the bathroom with them, but if they are all having baths then we use far too much water and it takes ages - showers are quickly done and dusted then we can move onto supper and stories/games!

Jen x

nokidshere
15-05-2012, 05:20 PM
well if they are young children I would bath them together if parents ok it and if they didn't I wouldn't do it.

Bridey
15-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks - its not me . I just said Id be very wary of leaving mindee alone and she came back with comments about small bathroom etc. just thought Id see if I was being overcautious - but it seems most are in agreement that its a nono.

Small changes to the home routine are often necessary to accomodate mindees, especially when it comes to safeguarding. If she wants the work then that is something she will have to accept.