PDA

View Full Version : My letter in reply to acticles today in Nursery World and Daily Mail

Penny1959
14-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I have written a long response to todays media hype and sent to loads of people.

Child Care Journal had posted it tonight on their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/notes/child-care-journal/the-issue-of-the-deregulation-of-childminders-by-penny-webb-registered-childmind/397502820292890

Take a look - my personal view of course - but if you agree with please share as widely as possible

Penny :)

FussyElmo
14-05-2012, 07:27 PM
just saw that penny was wondering if it was you :thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
14-05-2012, 07:31 PM
It is fab and I have shared.:)

mum2two
14-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Very good! Just hope eventually 'bigwigs' take note and realise just how many people - minders, parents & children it will affect!!

xx

sarah707
14-05-2012, 07:42 PM
While I agree with what you have said in principle Penny and it is a very good, well worded letter (as always) I do have one concern.

I remember the furore a few years ago when Ofsted said they were going to put fees up... it was fought against and won in that instance...

So now they say we cost too much and you are offering to raise the amount we pay them in order to stay registered!!

Isn't that just playing into their hands and giving them what they wanted in the first place? :(

Ripeberry
14-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Shared with my local CM community :thumbsup:

loocyloo
14-05-2012, 07:49 PM
would it be possible to put the letter as a pdf or something, as i'm not on facebook and can't access it to read it :(

thank you x

uf353432
14-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I think its excellant, very well written.

Mouse
14-05-2012, 07:56 PM
While I agree with what you have said in principle Penny and it is a very good, well worded letter (as always) I do have one concern.

I remember the furore a few years ago when Ofsted said they were going to put fees up... it was fought against and won in that instance...

So now they say we cost too much and you are offering to raise the amount we pay them in order to stay registered!!

Isn't that just playing into their hands and giving them what they wanted in the first place? :(

Do you know what Sarah, that is exactly what I thought today!

Childminders have complained about EYFS, inspections, being treated like nurseries, increasing fees etc etc. Now these rumours are starting and we're all pleading to keep everything we've complained about!

Perhaps the government & Ofsted are playing a clever game :p

Chimps Childminding
14-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Well done Penny, lovely letter!!! I also don't particularly want to have to pay more to Ofsted, but if its that or 10% to an agency - Ofsted would win :thumbsup:

uf353432
14-05-2012, 08:05 PM
see I have never complained about all the stuff we have to do, I actually don't mind the red tape and costs. I don't mind paying a bit more to register with Ofsted - I think £200 is a bit excessive to be honest can't we meet half way? :laughing: I still think Ofsted have ALOT they can do to cut down the excessive cost of inspecting us - first rule of business is to work smarter in practice before putting up prices. In this whole business though I feel smited by Ofsted that they don't 'see' how valuable we are, what a great job we do, they are giving the impression that we are a 'problem' that needs sorting out. They are alienating all the fabulous hard working childminders out there. Sucks!

loocyloo
14-05-2012, 08:10 PM
see I have never complained about all the stuff we have to do, I actually don't mind the red tape and costs. I don't mind paying a bit more to register with Ofsted - I think £200 is a bit excessive to be honest can't we meet half way? :laughing: I still think Ofsted have ALOT they can do to cut down the excessive cost of inspecting us - first rule of business is to work smarter in practice before putting up prices. In this whole business though I feel smited by Ofsted that they don't 'see' how valuable we are, what a great job we do, they are giving the impression that we are a 'problem' that needs sorting out. They are alienating all the fabulous hard working childminders out there. Sucks!

i agree.

i've never been a 'problem' :littleangel: and don't intend to start being one now ;)

FussyElmo
14-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Just read your letter Penny sorry helping dd with french homework. While I agree with most of it Im wondering where you got the figure from as thats one major increase.

There are alot of cm's struggling plus add in deprived areas where you dont get premium rates that would be alot of money to find :(

uf353432
14-05-2012, 08:11 PM
i agree.

i've never been a 'problem' :littleangel: and don't intend to start being one now ;)

thats not what i've heard loocyloo :p

suzyjane73
14-05-2012, 08:15 PM
I don't know how deregulation will bring down the cost of childcare. Childminding is the cheapest you can get already. I work up to 40 hours a week averaging well under the minimum wage! How could I then give up 10% of that to an agency? It's crazy cakes!!

Penny1959
14-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Just read your letter Penny sorry helping dd with french homework. While I agree with most of it Im wondering where you got the figure from as thats one major increase.

There are alot of cm's struggling plus add in deprived areas where you dont get premium rates that would be alot of money to find :(

The figure is just a suggestion based on the supposed cost of Ofsted registering us stated at £400 - so I halved it.

Sarah - personally I think the £35 we pay is too little and does not reflect the cost at all - after all we pay £35 to ICO and if PPL had charged they were talking at over £100. I pay around £300 to insurance my car, over £250 a year to tax it.

Of course like many others I would have to do wiythout something else to pay an increased fee

but as I earn around £20,000 before tax - if they go the agency route and it is the 10% being suggested that would mean that I would pay them £2,000 a year!

( oh and if you think I earn a lot - remember I work seven days a week, and up to 15 hours a day to earn that much)

I think Ofsted at £200 would seem a bargain

Penny1959
14-05-2012, 08:24 PM
would it be possible to put the letter as a pdf or something, as i'm not on facebook and can't access it to read it :(

thank you x

Yes will do in a moment and post on here

Penny1959
14-05-2012, 08:30 PM
With a bit of luch PDF attached for tjhose not on facebook

Vickster
14-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks I have shared it.

mum26
14-05-2012, 09:05 PM
That's a very good and clear response, Penny and I agree with your sentiments entirely.

The Juggler
14-05-2012, 09:14 PM
great letter Penny. I would not be averse to paying a higher cost than we pay now in order to stay registered.

marnieb
15-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Thank you Penny for writing such a concise letter.

I am beginning to feel resentful that we cm's are being singled out, after all, Ofsted are also responsible for Nurseries, schools, creche's, pre-schools, yet no-one has asked how much it costs to insepct them, and if they are too expensive?????

flowerpots
15-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Thank you Penny, will share with as many as possible. :thumbsup:

loocyloo
15-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Yes will do in a moment and post on here

:D:D:D thank you. will read as soon as i have time to take it in! got to do a school run now! x

rickysmiths
15-05-2012, 07:48 AM

thank you x

Same for me I don't do facebook!

rickysmiths
15-05-2012, 07:49 AM

I agree with all of this :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
15-05-2012, 07:59 AM
The figure is just a suggestion based on the supposed cost of Ofsted registering us stated at £400 - so I halved it.

Sarah - personally I think the £35 we pay is too little and does not reflect the cost at all - after all we pay £35 to ICO and if PPL had charged they were talking at over £100. I pay around £300 to insurance my car, over £250 a year to tax it.

Of course like many others I would have to do wiythout something else to pay an increased fee

but as I earn around £20,000 before tax - if they go the agency route and it is the 10% being suggested that would mean that I would pay them £2,000 a year!

( oh and if you think I earn a lot - remember I work seven days a week, and up to 15 hours a day to earn that much)

Penny I agree with you. £35 in no way reflects the true cost and I believe it would have been more realistic to have increased it a little each year as they originally planned.

My turnover is higher than yours Penny and I probably work less hours but my fees are higher than yours. I certainly wouldn't relish paying 10% to some agency and what other self employed person would. Its bad enough paying tax and it would most certainly push up fees rather than lower them the way the government seems to want.

I heard somewhere that the true cost of each inspection is nearer £900. I know that the inspectors are paid £250 per inspection at the moment so I don't actually think £200pa is over the top as a fee. I think again if this happened then fees would have to edge up a bit to reflect this cost.

wendywu
15-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Perhaps the amount of the Ofsted fee could depend on your net profit.

I realise that some people earn a lot less than others .Due to many factors the area they live in and the amount of spaces their own children take out of their numbers for example.

For me living in surrey within walking distance of two main line stations to London and with my own daughters grown up, my earning potential is vast. £200 would be a drop in the ocean.

But to some minders in an area with little work and a young family meaning they have limited money coming in £200 could be a whole weeks wages. A system that is fair for all needs to be worked out. :)

AliceK
15-05-2012, 08:35 AM
I don't earn that much, as I posted yesterday I am working 4 days this week for less than the national minimum wage, BUT, if by paying eg £200 per yr it would mean that things with regulation and Ofsted etc can stay the same then I will budget for that and I will pay it because the alternative as it stands at the moment with all this agency crap would mean I would have to stop being a childminder and I really really don't want to do that.

Have shared by the way. Thanks Penny :thumbsup:

xxxx

Penny1959
15-05-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't earn that much, as I posted yesterday I am working 4 days this week for less than the national minimum wage, BUT, if by paying eg £200 per yr it would mean that things with regulation and Ofsted etc can stay the same then I will budget for that and I will pay it because the alternative as it stands at the moment with all this agency crap would mean I would have to stop being a childminder and I really really don't want to do that.

Have shared by the way. Thanks Penny :thumbsup:

xxxx

Thanks for sharing letter Alice - and you are right - no one likes higher fees but once we know an amount (if that is what they do) we can budget.

No way am I going to pay more to an agency to have to do what they say.

FussyElmo
15-05-2012, 11:03 AM
I dont mind paying more if i got more from my money but what actually do ofsted do for us. Inspect us once every three years (well they say but im 8 months over now) what else do they do??? Authorise a variation if we are lucky. Give us hell if an unfounded complaint goes in!!!!

Im not in any way in favour of the deregulation I think i do a better job with my mindees than any nursery does. My fees are low because of the area - some members on here have said tongue in cheek they wouldnt get out of bed for.

I would if they did increase appreciate the chance to pay monthy but they probably wont.

I bet you they are not thinking of making nurseries pay 10% of they annual money to a network :eek:

murrayspud
15-05-2012, 11:44 AM
There are so many factors at play here that are worrying to me.

I do not agree with deregulation of Childminders at all, and agree that all the hard work put in to get Childminders to be professionally recognised would be destroyed in one moment if this happened. I know that I, and many others that I know, work very hard to provide a great service for the children and families we work with, and this has to be maintained for the sake of the children.

I also do not want to be controlled by an agency telling me what I can or cannot charge, what I can or can't do, or how to run MY BUSINESS.

Penny, you letter hits all those points, for me, perfectly.

The other side of the coin is because we are all self employed, we all run our businesses slightly differently and this should also be recognised by "the powers that be". Some work part time, some work full time, some do term time only, some do holiday time only, some have 1 child to look after, some have 6+ children to look after, some have limits on how many children they can look after for various resaons etc etc. For all these factors and more besides, our flexibiltiy should be embraced, not try to force us into a "one size fits all" process which is how it feels to me.

Re the issue of Ofsted charges - it's a tricky one due to us all earning different amounts due to factors above that are our own choices as self employed people. I do feel that many will leave the profession if fees to Ofsted are too high, as for some they would be unaffordable.

If Ofsted are saying that it is too costly to inspect Childminders at the present time, surely the answer is not to deregulate Childminders, therefore removing the cost, the answer would be, in my opinion to work smarter eg for Outstanding and Good childminders, times between inspection to be increased with certain criteria triggering an inspection as is the case now, to group inspections in certain areas together to reduce their costs, to book firm dates and actually turn up for appointments made, reduce inspection times (length) after the first inspection has been made so that more inspections can be fitted in, and then look at the costs we are charged by Ofsted.

We need to make our voice hear on these issues, and make them loud and clear.

xx

Penny1959
16-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Just a quick update on what is happening

My letter has gone down well and comments recieved show that no one (so far) wants the agency approach.

Most would be willing to pay more to keep individual inspections - some are worried how they would pay a higher fee but prefer that to paying a much higher fee to an agency.

My LA - Worcestershire have passed my letter onto all their staff and head of Early Years has emailed to say the LA think it is a backward step.

All Worcestershire Councillors are having the email passed onto them by via their internal communication team.

My MP has acknowledged receipt of letter (automatic reply) but has yet to Respond. Same for Elizabeth Truss (the one who wrote article in NW)

My email has been received by Downing Street - letter in post to follow up.

PLA have responded to say they are concerned about this - and the reasons behind it. They plan to bring up and discuss at meetings with government and others.

NCMA have commented on NCMAlocal (non members like me able to use this forum) and have asked to be informed of any individual campaigns - so if you are doing anything - please keep everyone in the loop of what you are doing and the responses you get. As has been said before this issue if implemented would impact on us all - it is not a NCMA (or any other individuals / organisations) issue - we all need to work together whih is why I have put details of my letter on NCMAlocal.

We need to keep up the campaign until more sensible solutions to the need for the government to save money are put forward for discussion.

singingcactus
16-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Part of letter makes it sound a lot like before ofsted became involved in childminding, that childminders were a bit on the rubbish side. I just wanted to say, before this regulation, my practise was pretty much as it is now, but without all the constant paperwork, and need to register with lots of other pointless bodies.

It will make no difference to my practise if we become, once again, as it was when I first began minding, not regulated by ofsted. All the quality minders I have met over the years will retain their high standard too. And all the rubbishy minders who operate under the current system, will remain rubbishy.

As for the 10% to an agency, this was an example quoted in one journal about how another country runs their system. I have yet to see anywhere where the government is telling us they are even considering this system in this country. It was just one example in a plethora.

It is a good letter though for discussing the bigger picture but we need to try not to get bogged down in hypothetical theories, or we might well miss the reality.

Penny1959
16-05-2012, 02:23 PM
I agree with what you are saying SingingCactus - about those quality childminders would continue to provide quality care - regulated or not. The worry is those that do not and that without any checks there would be a risk that their practice would get worse.

The biggest issue on complete deregulation - is it is being suggested that childcare with a childminder would be cheaper - mine would not becaue the saving from not having to register or pay for other things would not be enough to enable me to lower my fees. However those that may be tempted to cut corners and squeeze in another few children - may offer lower prices - and I fear that I would either be priced out of the market or have no choice but to cut my prices to match - and of course to remain viable I would have to cut some services or aspects of quailty.

I also agree that that the discussions are still at a 'look at what others do' stage and nothing is yet formally proposed.

However one thing is clear the government want to cut the Ofsted budget and so some sort of change will occur.

What worries as well about the current discussions is that parents are being led to believe that cheaper childcare is just around the corner - giving false hope, those that know nothing about childminding are being misinformed and it is being suggested that most childminders are unable to run sucessful buisness and therefore need support in just about every aspect of running their business.

As an individual I prefer to be inspected - I would not like to go back to the days when inspections were justa chat over a cup of tea.

PixiePetal
16-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Perhaps the amount of the Ofsted fee could depend on your net profit.

I realise that some people earn a lot less than others .Due to many factors the area they live in and the amount of spaces their own children take out of their numbers for example.

For me living in surrey within walking distance of two main line stations to London and with my own daughters grown up, my earning potential is vast. £200 would be a drop in the ocean.

But to some minders in an area with little work and a young family meaning they have limited money coming in £200 could be a whole weeks wages. A system that is fair for all needs to be worked out. :)

I only have 2 days work/week at the moment :( - less than £200 and that's not all profit so more than a weeks wages to me - here's hoping for an upturn in work soon.

caz3007
16-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I only have 2 days work/week at the moment :( - less than £200 and that's not all profit so more than a weeks wages to me - here's hoping for an upturn in work soon.

I am the same here. Its very quiet and know that lots of local childminders are having to supplement their income by working elsewhere. I have a full timer, and one 2 days a week so most of the time I am working for £4.25 gross per hour and £200 for me would be way more than a weeks wages, but I would save it up if necessary in order to be able to continue working as I do. If we had to pay to an agency I would give up and get a job outside the home as my Ds is getting older, but know my mindies mum wants her here for the long haul, after school and holidays when she is old enough, so she would be devistated

Andrea08
17-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi, tbh im quite worried, come september i will have just one part time child on my books 4 mornings a week giving fees of just £70 take off expenses ill be skint till i get more work so a blanket fee to ofsted or an agency would mean i would have to close..

its not our fault ofsted say it costs so much to register and monitor us childminders... they need us to deliver the grant for 2,3,&4yr olds as its been proven nursery's n schools can not cope with the places..

we are outstanding graded cm's and to have a blanket grading from a network is not good enough

and to pay a network or agency is out of the question for me as we have babysitting agencies here and its not good to work for them as their payment systems are bad, if your face doesn't fit you get no work!!!

ofsted could put a bigger enthasis on our SEF and use our network development reports and training to support everdance of our grading and grade/inspect outstanding provisions every 5yrs instead of 3yrs to help cut costs..

tbh to say im worried is an understatement concerns for safeguarding, working cash in hand and the job going underground is a possibility in LA where there are no networks and development workers etc

im writing to my CO and MP fingers crossed they sort these worries out x

sarahlou
18-05-2012, 07:26 AM
I totally agree with what everyone has said, but what is also concerning me is the safeguarding issue. We have had so many cases of children being abused and the agencies involved not picking up on signs and the lack of communication between these agencies .... so if we are deregulated any one can befriend a family and offer childcare .... where are the checks? how do we know the child is safe? this will be another headline and everyone will say well maybe we should have left it as it was blah blah..... i just think there are sooo many issues that hopefully some person with common sense will say NO leave it as it is ... sorry i know i waffled:)
sarah

GAILFAY
18-05-2012, 05:02 PM

i much prefer this idea :thumbsup:

Penny1959
18-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Just to let you all know that Nursery World have been in touch today and are going to publish a shorten version of my letter (I have seen and approved the editing) Of course they may have a last min change of mind if something else comes up - but hopefully it will be in the next issue.

I have been in communication with lots of people via email - and without breaking confidentiality - there is a 'general concern' that there maybe other things behind this - and that it may well not just be childminders under threat - people are saying that no one expected childminders to pick up on this - or to react so strongly.

However I have also been told by many that although we are getting quite a lot of coverage in press and on forums - that childminders are not responding in large numbers - I wonder is that because they have not heard about it yet? because they think that nothing to worry about - either because they have their head in the sand or because they would welcome not having to bother with Ofsted and inspections / paperwork ? or because they think 'oh others are doing something no need for me to bother'?

If you look at the treads on here and how many members have responded by posting - it is a surprisingly low number - of course I know many people do read and not post - but I do wonder how many people are actively writting to MP's and others.

Not moaning or complaining - just an observation - as it is difficult to judge the level of interest / concern / action being taken.

miffy
18-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Writing to my MP is on my to do list this weekend Penny.

The only reservation I have about your letter is the part abut paying an increased fee to remain Ofsted registered - that I feel is very dangerous ground and as has already been pointed out, what seems a drop in the ocean to some childminders could mean a weeks wages to others.

I would much rather Ofsted were asked to account for their coatings - lengthy inspections Mean costs are higher per inspection. Likewise inspector's travelling large distances to conduct inspections or being drafted in from other areas and put up in hotels for weeks at a time increase costs. So, before I say I am happy to pay out more, I would like to be sure that Ofsted has put its own house in order.

Miffy xx

Penny1959
18-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Writing to my MP is on my to do list this weekend Penny.

The only reservation I have about your letter is the part abut paying an increased fee to remain Ofsted registered - that I feel is very dangerous ground and as has already been pointed out, what seems a drop in the ocean to some childminders could mean a weeks wages to others.

I would much rather Ofsted were asked to account for their coatings - lengthy inspections Mean costs are higher per inspection. Likewise inspector's travelling large distances to conduct inspections or being drafted in from other areas and put up in hotels for weeks at a time increase costs. So, before I say I am happy to pay out more, I would like to be sure that Ofsted has put its own house in order.

Miffy xx

Totally agree Miffy about Ofsted making other savings and justifying their costs - as you are right there must be savings that could be made.

I actually think that the cost thing is a smoke screen - to cover other issues that they want to deal with. So by putting that another solution would be to charge more is in a way - calling their bluff.

However almost everyone has said - although not happy to pay more - and quite a few have said would struggle to find the money - they would prefer t pay more rather than go down the agency route - which I suppose shows how against the agency route everyone is - because of course if the 10% became a reality then even those with a modest income of £100 per week would pay the agency £520 over the year - and if was set at half that rate - so 5% would still pay £260 per year - which makes the higher Ofsted fee seem much more appealing.

I would have suggested that the fee was based on number of places registered for - but couldn't because under revised EYFS we will all have the same general certificate - ie no numbers just need to keep within 6 under 8.

The edited letter going into Nursery World does not have the bit about fees - it has most of the other bits though - ie concerns about impact on children and not wanting to be within an agency network.

Penny

Mouse
19-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Just to let you all know that Nursery World have been in touch today and are going to publish a shorten version of my letter (I have seen and approved the editing) Of course they may have a last min change of mind if something else comes up - but hopefully it will be in the next issue.

I have been in communication with lots of people via email - and without breaking confidentiality - there is a 'general concern' that there maybe other things behind this - and that it may well not just be childminders under threat - people are saying that no one expected childminders to pick up on this - or to react so strongly.

However I have also been told by many that although we are getting quite a lot of coverage in press and on forums - that childminders are not responding in large numbers - I wonder is that because they have not heard about it yet? because they think that nothing to worry about - either because they have their head in the sand or because they would welcome not having to bother with Ofsted and inspections / paperwork ? or because they think 'oh others are doing something no need for me to bother'?

If you look at the treads on here and how many members have responded by posting - it is a surprisingly low number - of course I know many people do read and not post - but I do wonder how many people are actively writting to MP's and others.

Not moaning or complaining - just an observation - as it is difficult to judge the level of interest / concern / action being taken.

We have locally a group of approx 25-30 childminders who are in regular contact with each other. There are others who are about, but who keep to themselves. We meet weekly and have an online group for chatting. Despite sharing our understanding on what is happening, there are only three of us showing any concern. We are posting articles, talking about the implications etc, but all they can see is no Ofsted, no inspections, no paperwork. They think de-regulation is a positive thing. It does worry me that it may be a proportionally small core of childminders who are against it :panic:

AgentTink
19-05-2012, 08:07 AM
We have locally a group of approx 25-30 childminders who are in regular contact with each other. There are others who are about, but who keep to themselves. We meet weekly and have an online group for chatting. Despite sharing our understanding on what is happening, there are only three of us showing any concern. We are posting articles, talking about the implications etc, but all they can see is no Ofsted, no inspections, no paperwork. They think de-regulation is a positive thing. It does worry me that it may be a proportionally small core of childminders who are against it :panic:

Mouse and penny, I couldn't agree more, as I was only saying the other day to my partner, why are the articles about NCMA's questionnaire so excited with 2,600 responses. The NCMA have emailed it too all members, it is on the NCMA local board, it has been mentioned on here lots, others on here including me have passed the link onto their DO's or LA to be forwarded on, ( i sent the link to my early years team who forwarded it to 80 childminders in my area, i was then discussing it with a few the other day and they hadnt bothered to read the email apparently) plus others have mentioned it in their local cm groups. Why o why is there only 2,600 responses. I think this is the issue right now.

I have decided to now wait and see, especially after penny's above message in regards to the changes not just being for childminders.

I dont think there is enough of us who want to stay regulated with ofsted. My fear is that shortly there will be a consultation sent by the government, and majority of people who fill it in will say that they don't want to be regulated and don't want to pay ofsted higher fees.

miffy
19-05-2012, 08:17 AM
The NCMA have emailed it too all members,

That's not quite right - it was only emailed to those members who've signed up to receive emails and I know quite a few NCMA members who aren't.

Miffy xx

AgentTink
19-05-2012, 08:27 AM
That's not quite right - it was only emailed to those members who've signed up to receive emails and I know quite a few NCMA members who aren't.

Miffy xx

Thank you for clarifying that for me Miffy. I would imagine with something as important as this that the NCMA would also send via post a letter in regards to their individual inspections matters campaign? Or is this not something that they would do?

loocyloo
19-05-2012, 08:49 AM

i know a large number of childminders from where i used to live, and despite forwarding letters/emails/articles to them ALL, not ONE person has emailed me back to discus. yet, if i email eyfs info, i get replies :( i think all anyone can see is the lack of inspections and being able to do whatever they want and no paperwork. it does make me cross and sad. think i might do another email now!

Smiley
19-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I have also been passing information on to childminders in my local area and sent 24 of them emails but only 3 have replied. It always concerns me that apathy seems to get in the way of crucial matters, however I still keep chipping away. I was talking to a children's centre manager a few weeks ago who was dismayed at the turn out of childminders for an evening information session she had arranged. Approximately 10% turned up and I explained that unfortunately statistics (of which I'm not a lover of) seem to indicate an average of 5-10% of respondents even for national campaigns!
I agree it's worrying