PDA

View Full Version : How does a variation apply and how does it 'end'?

Bluebell
14-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi
I am thinking of applying for a variation for a little boy I have. His mum works shifts I have him on 2 afternoons but quite often have him on another 2 afternoons if her shifts change. (She knows this is on a 'if-I-have-a-space basis')
This has fitted in so far with either having the space or the other person just doing a morning. BUT actually I would like to fill those spaces with full days and some of my parents are having a change around. I would like to apply for a variation for this little boy on the basis of continuity of care.

If I applied based on being full on the days I wanted to have him as an 'extra' if one of those minded children left could I still fill the space with a new permanent mindee or would he then be expected to fit into that slot? (because presumably that would be what would happen if you got a variation for a sibling slot - once you did actually have a slot you wouldn't then be able to refill it?)

Also and sorry if I am being confusing here - if I had a variation for this boy would it apply for every day? So for example one of his actual days is a Thursday afternoon but he doesn't use every Thursday afternoon and (especially if he has a variation) he would use other afternoons instead. Would I then be allowed to use the variation to allow another person the space?

Sorry to seem confused I really want to fill some more spaces and don't want to let any of my current parents down!

I know from applying for a variation relating to an assistant you have to be very specific about which children you have and when.

funemnx
14-05-2012, 06:40 PM
I applied for a variation for an lo who's mum was a shift worker. I got a call from Ofsted saying that they can't do it for 'as and when' but if I was to apply again and say the boy was adding extra days to contracted hours then it wouldn't be a problem - so that's what I did!

The variation is just for that named child - I would say something like:

X is contracted to come on Wed and Thurs (for example) and parents now want him to come full time e.g. Mon, Tues and Fri and you would like a variation for those 3 days.The variation lasts for the children you have at the time (you have to name them in the application).

Mouse
14-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Variations are for specific children, so you would have to fill your spaces, then apply to have him as an extra on those days, citing continuity of care.

He wouldn't have to come every day, but your variation would be for every day. You would list the children you currently have each day, then say that you want the chance to have him extra on the days he doesn't currently attend. It could cover the whole week if you say times & days vary.

All the variations I have had state that they are in place until one of the named children leaves, or until one of them is no longer in the EY age range. It does mean you can't just replce one of the children with another.

Bluebell
15-05-2012, 10:16 AM
That's a bit daft then isn't it - that doesn't cater for the flexibility of care that we as childminders are supposed to be able to offer! I can't fill the Space because I'd be letting the mum down but can't get a variation until space is filled!!!

If we can RA our own continuity of care from September to cover situations exactly like this then it is definitely a step in the right direction!