PDA

View Full Version : quick please help, how do I deal with this one

mushpea
14-05-2012, 10:25 AM
i have a parent coming to see me this afternoon wanting ad hoc care, she really wants it all week but at the moment I can only offer her 2 days, she knows this and says she can work round it,, but how do i charge,, if she wanted me to hold the space all week I would charge a minimum of 16-20hours as this is what I belive is half a full time space would be but I can only hold open the two days so do i

A, charge her 4 hours a day to hold the space open (is this a resonable amount?)
or
B, only charge when she comes on those two days then tell her when the full week opens up in a couple of months she will need to pay a retainer of 16hrs a week to hold the space or risk there not being space.

The are shift workers trying to fit around each other so it could be she uses me for 2hours a day or for a full day but never the same

Bridey
14-05-2012, 10:34 AM
If its ad hoc care then you don't hold any spaces for her and she only pays for what she uses and has to take the risk that you may not be available. You would set a minimum period of time of notice in which she has to book and pay for the places. Payment would always be at the time of booking.

If she wants you to HOLD the places for her then she should be paying for them whether she uses them or not. If you want to reduce it to a retainer or a minimum charge a week then that is up to you :)

I'm not sure how to answer your options A or B as my answer would be a bit of both! I would charge a retainer for two days that you have available to begin with and then extend that to a weekly retainer (4 hours a day = 20 hours, not 16) when the place becomes available. If she won't pay that then you would offer ad hoc and she'll have to fit in with you and you have the right to fill those places without notice.

Have I chosen option A? Its been a long weekend!! :laughing:

samb
14-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Hmmm my ad hoc are literally on the basis of "if you want me and a space is available you can have it that day" and so they only pay for that as I am not holding a space open.

In your situation it sounds more like they want you to hold the day open for them to use the most small amount of hours possible? I can understand why they want to do that but it is difficult for you holding a full time space open for that. I think 4 hours a day is fine and if you are happy to lose out on the other possible 4-6 hours or however long you are open then yes. Or maybe you could charge a 50% retainer so if open 10 hours charge for 5 hours and then they top up every other half hour they use? So if in 8-12 charge full for that time and 50% for 12-6?

adele1985
14-05-2012, 10:42 AM
hi hun, I have a few children on my books who only come on an when and if basis

one week could be nothing at all and then next week could be every day all day.

I only charge them for the hours they book but if they cancel for the days they have booked they still pay for it

I dont charge them any extra but they just have to take a chance and hope i have space for when they need me

Twinkles
14-05-2012, 10:43 AM
I offer some ad hoc care. But I make it very clear that it won't always be available.
Either I or the parents can cancel the booked place at short notice and no money is due.

I charge £1 per hour more than my normal rate for this service.

It works for us because between us DH and I have 6 under 5 places and lots of part timers so we do have the odd morning or afternoon available.

I find it a good way to fill up the odd hour here and there.
Really it only works if mum is using childcare to give herself a few hours break or has back up ( grandparents etc ).

mushpea
14-05-2012, 11:53 AM
thanks for your help folks
so on the basis of your helpful advice I think I will give her to options

A, to pay 4hours a day and i will hold the space
or
B, she books at least a week in advance but dosent pay the retainer and risks me not being avalible.

does this sound ok?

I dont really want to hold the space for silly money because it is my last full time space and I have had a copule of full timers view me on the childcare website.

miffy
14-05-2012, 11:57 AM
I dont really want to hold the space for silly money because it is my last full time space and I have had a copule of full timers view me on the childcare website.

If you think you might fill the place then I'd only offer her option B and make my hourly charge a little higher like Twinkles does.

Miffy xx

Bridey
14-05-2012, 11:59 AM
thanks for your help folks
so on the basis of your helpful advice I think I will give her to options

A, to pay 4hours a day and i will hold the space
or
B, she books at least a week in advance but dosent pay the retainer and risks me not being avalible.

does this sound ok?

That sounds ok to me. Bear in mind that once she has managed to work around only having two days then she may decide she doesn't want to reserve the whole week in the future so keep your options open for the time being.

mushpea
14-05-2012, 12:04 PM
That sounds ok to me. Bear in mind that once she has managed to work around only having two days then she may decide she doesn't want to reserve the whole week in the future so keep your options open for the time being.

the two days would actutaly suit me as they are two that i have had for the last 2years and havent been able to fill and they fit in with another child , at the end of July one leaves me so i will then also have 5 days a week,

Bridey
14-05-2012, 12:44 PM
In that case I would be tempted to make it a two day a week contract and look for someone else to fill the full time slot for full money. I know that's harsh but I'm a business and not a charity who can afford to reduce my rates while the parents still get their full wages ;)