PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journals

notts
14-05-2012, 10:11 AM
how do you record your early years learning journey? how often do you show/discuss with parents? if you give to the parent at the end of the contract or if they leave, do you create a copy for yourselves?

The questions are coming as I plan to do a scrap book which I plan to involve the children in so any advice as to how you do it would be much appreciated

notts
14-05-2012, 11:21 AM
doing a little research I came accross this.. now I'm confused :eek:

http://www.wigan.gov.uk/Services/EducationLearning/EarlyYears/Childcare/LDJournal.htm

miffy
14-05-2012, 11:47 AM
doing a little research I came accross this.. now I'm confused :eek:

http://www.wigan.gov.uk/Services/EducationLearning/EarlyYears/Childcare/LDJournal.htm

There is something similar in free downloads - it is one way of gathering evidence from parents about what the child can do before the child starts with you.

You need to have some way of recording a child's starting points (what they can already do developmentally) when they start with you, then you show through their lj what you've done to move them on.

How you do this and how you keep your lj is up to you. I use an A4 file for each child and everything goes in there in date order. This just works for me as it's easy to add something in like art work if I've forgotten it.

Miffy xx

sarah707
14-05-2012, 05:19 PM
I write the same as Miffy - an A4 file for each child filed in month order.

I do scrapbooks for the older children if they want to get involved :D

blue bear
14-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I use a display folder from Tesco. its got fixed in polywallets so is plastic but no ringbinders so is safe for the little ones to access and enjoy.
at the front is a picture of the child, parents and siblings. i get the parents to complete a xxx likes and xxx does not like sheet.
the first couple of weeks are mainly photos with links showing what lo can do, forming the basis of next steps for planning.
i write any comment parents have made regarding child's development and settling, i pop them in the folder too.
families are welcome and are encouraged to add to the folder with photos from home, art work from home etc.
everything in the folder is linked to the eyfs and the next steps is my planning for the next day/week/term.
I have a rule that only information that has a use (wow moment, basis of next steps planning) is put into the folder, excess photos and art work go in the daily diary. i cant see the point linking plans and writing out assessments on repetitive pieces of work or photographs.
as the children get older they can choose what they would like in the folder, i write out why they chose it. children past the eyfs are in total control of their folders.
i keep a record of which areas i have observed in a term and where the child falls developmentally at the time of the observation.
Parents are welcome and do ask to see the folder at any time, children often share them with parents on collection. Three times a year they are sent home for a week along with a summative assessment for parents to read and make comments on(hopefully)
I have never taken a copy of one and they always leave with the child.