PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour's dogs- advice needed

bothers
14-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Please please please, does anyone know what I can do. Our neighbours have an Alsation and Doberman left out all day in the back garden and they have now started ripping the fence panels off between our garden and theirs. I would speak to the neighbours about this only they are not interested. We have put chicken wire up to slow the dogs progress down but really don't know what to do next. Currently it means that the children and I can no longer play in the garden for fear the dogs will join us :panic:

christine e
14-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Do you own the property? If it is council owned then I would contact the council. If privately owned then I would be looking at putting up a fence with concrete pillars up, if it is their boundary then put up just inside the boundary

I have been in a similar situation myself in the past and I know it is not nice

Cx

Ripeberry
14-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Who's ripping off the panels. The dogs or the people? Just put up another fence of your own.No way would I be cowering inside because of other people's ASBO pets.

Bridey
14-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Would she be able to claim for this fencing on her expenses? Does anyone know?

christine e
14-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Would she be able to claim for this fencing on her expenses? Does anyone know?

I would say Yes as it is an ofsted requirement that your garden is secure

Cx

aly
14-05-2012, 11:51 AM
i dont think putting up a new fence will stop them, they will only chew through the new panels......

do you think it would be an rspca issue?

miffy
14-05-2012, 11:53 AM
You could put a chain link fence on your side of the fence, that way even if they get through the wooden panels they will not be able to get into your garden.

Miffy xx

foxy lady
14-05-2012, 11:54 AM
the rspca will not come out unless the dogs are not cared for ect could you not call your local police station and ask for advise on what you should do? im sure they could point you in the right direction

aly
14-05-2012, 11:57 AM
the rspca will not come out unless the dogs are not cared for ect could you not call your local police station and ask for advise on what you should do? im sure they could point you in the right direction
I said rspca because op said they are not caring for the dogs satisfactory so it may be an option.

if not rspca, maybe the animal welfare department in council.....as they are/will be a nuisance to her mindees/own children etc.

sarahjane
14-05-2012, 11:58 AM
You could try contacting the RSPCA but as long as the dogs have access to fresh drinking water then they will not be interested as the dogs needs are being met in their opinion. The poor dogs are probably bored stiff being outside all day hence the destruction of your fence.

Bridey
14-05-2012, 12:00 PM
it may be worth contacting the RSPCA for advice on the situation.

Katiekoo
14-05-2012, 12:54 PM
If they are able to get into your garden, or even intimidate you in your garden then the owners are not responsibly controlling them. Not sure what you can do except reinforce your fences and beg the owners to prevent the dogs from destroying your fences. This situation would really annoy me :(

loocyloo
14-05-2012, 02:01 PM
i would phone local council and ask to speak to the dog warden.

also, i would probably phone the police and re-iterate to both the fact that you have other peoples small children in your garden and are worried about what might happen.

good luck x

Tazmin68
14-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I would contact the council as they will send them a letter and if no improvement and you contact them a second time they will come out. Even if private property. I have a dog and a neighbour complained about her barking in the garden and the council wrote to me and I advised them that it was only when children were arriving or leaving that I put her outside. They told me that if they had received a second complaint they would have installed a noise monitor and if she was barking too much they would have prosecuted.so I would say council will get involved

Lems
14-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Same advise as you've already been given really, but good luck and I hope something gets resolved quickly for you x

funemnx
15-05-2012, 01:07 PM
I hope this worrying situation is sorted out soon - I was reading about some new fencing panels the other day - they aren't made of wood. I can't remember which company was selling them, but they were definately chew proof! You can get them in all different colours too, sorry I can't help more! x

Bridey
15-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Its in the news today that a court has ruled that anyone who has a dog that attacks someone could face prison. I know you don't think your neighbours will be bothered but surely they don't want their dogs to be in the situation where they could attack a child?

lulubelle
15-05-2012, 02:53 PM
we had nightmare neighbours at one point whos rotweiler (spelling) kept jumping into our garden, we were told by police, rspca and dog warden that if the dog was in a private garden there was nothing they could do-even if it was our garden!!! But if the gate was accidently left open and the dog escaped to call them straight away! didnt take long for that to happen and the neighbours didnt want to pay the fees to get it back so it never came back!!!