PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Situation, how would you charge?

EmmaReed84
14-05-2012, 06:31 AM
I like most minders do not charge when I am closed but charge full for when mindees are off.

If you had a minded child who was off for say something like chicken pox and YOUR child was also ill how would you charge for this? Still charge full as the mindee is off, charge nothing as you would have to close or just charge half?

Also if you minded siblings and parent kept one home because of illness and sent the other to you, but you then had to close because your child became ill, will you again charge full because they were off anyway with thei one sick child, charge nothng because you have had to close or charge half (full for the child that was off anyway, and nothing for the well child)

FussyElmo
14-05-2012, 06:49 AM
I like most minders do not charge when I am closed but charge full for when mindees are off.

If you had a minded child who was off for say something like chicken pox and YOUR child was also ill how would you charge for this? Still charge full as the mindee is off, charge nothing as you would have to close or just charge half?
Yes I would charge full as if it was my child being sick first then mindee gets ill I still would charge nothing.
Also if you minded siblings and parent kept one home because of illness and sent the other to you, but you then had to close because your child became ill, will you again charge full because they were off anyway with thei one sick child, charge nothng because you have had to close or charge half (full for the child that was off anyway, and nothing for the well child) yes exactly that full for the child who was off and nothing for the one who you couldnt have

Bridey
14-05-2012, 06:49 AM
If I am open for business I charge, if I am not able to take in children then I am not open, therefore I do not charge. Whether their children are ill or not is irrelevant.

I don't see how you can use 'if I had been open your child wouldn't have been able to come anyway' as an excuse to charge. That's wrong.

In the situation you've given us I would charge for the hours I was open (including for their sick child) and not charge for either child once my setting was closed.

EmmaReed84
14-05-2012, 06:54 AM
If I am open for business I charge, if I am not able to take in children then I am not open, therefore I do not charge. Whether their children are ill or not is irrelevant.

I don't see how you can use 'if I had been open your child wouldn't have been able to come anyway' as an excuse to charge. That's wrong.

So if for example a parent called on a Monday to say their child was ill and would not be in for the week that would be a full charge, but if your child became ill on the Tuesday (and you would usually close) would you call the parent and tell them that they will only be invoiced for the Monday? And lose 4 full days of pay even though their child was off first IYSWIM.

uf353432
14-05-2012, 07:05 AM
If you called first to say your child went off sick then you can't charge.

If they called first to say their child was off sick then you do charge.

mummyof3
14-05-2012, 09:07 AM
I charge parents full fees if their child is sick but I don't charge if myself or my children are off sick as I'm not available to work.

Goatgirl
14-05-2012, 09:35 AM
So if for example a parent called on a Monday to say their child was ill and would not be in for the week that would be a full charge, but if your child became ill on the Tuesday (and you would usually close) would you call the parent and tell them that they will only be invoiced for the Monday? And lose 4 full days of pay even though their child was off first IYSWIM.

Yes: I think so,
because you would have been unavailable for work... :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Mouse
14-05-2012, 09:48 AM

I think if my child was ill and I had to close, I wouldn't charge as I wouldn't be available, even if the mindee was also ill.

But, in the situation you describe above, I think I would charge as they were off first. If, say by the Thursday, they wanted to come back, but my child was still ill, I wouldn't charge from then on.

I don't think you can have one answer to this situation. I'd see what happened at the time & play it by ear. I would certainly try to limit any unpaid time though!

Bridey
14-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Yes :)

My child is sick so I'm not open so they don't pay. I feel it would be dishonest and immoral to do it any other way and my business is built on trust. My parents trust me. If they found out I had charged them but was actually unable to work myself then that trust would be broken. Would they really want to continue to send their child to someone they couldn't trust?

(Just my personal opinion, I'm not judging anyone else!)

FussyElmo
14-05-2012, 12:06 PM

My child is sick so I'm not open so they don't pay. I feel it would be dishonest and immoral to do it any other way and my business is built on trust. My parents trust me. If they found out I had charged them but was actually unable to work myself then that trust would be broken. Would they really want to continue to send their child to someone they couldn't trust?

(Just my personal opinion, I'm not judging anyone else!)

It does depend on your relationship too. Last time ds and mindee were sent home at exactly the same time I looked after both of them as it was just a cold. But mum came to house at 3 so i could get the other children and then took mindee home. Neither of us lost out :thumbsup:

Bridey
14-05-2012, 12:40 PM
It does depend on your relationship too. Last time ds and mindee were sent home at exactly the same time I looked after both of them as it was just a cold. But mum came to house at 3 so i could get the other children and then took mindee home. Neither of us lost out :thumbsup:

Oh I agree, there are always other ways round situations like that if the children don't have anything you need to exclude for and you can comfortably care for them. I've even had pox children here once I've checked everyone else has had it, the other parents were ok with it and the child wasn't feeling unwell.

Mummits
14-05-2012, 05:28 PM

I feel it would be dishonest and immoral to do it ... I'm not judging anyone else!)

I'm sorry, I do think it sounds judgmental if you call it dishonest and immoral. Otherwise you'd just say that's not what I would do in this situation, wouldn't you?

Anyway, for what it's worth, if their child was sick first I think I'd charge for any sick days and any exclusioin period for sickness - if that applied. If my child was ill by then and I was closed I wouldn't charge from then. If my child was ill and I closed and their child then became sick I'd not charge for the days I was closed but start charging again when I reopened.

As a matter of interest, what would you all do if a mindee was on holiday before during and after your child was ill (those of you who charge for parents' holidays that is)?

Bridey
14-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry, I do think it sounds judgmental if you call it dishonest and immoral. Otherwise you'd just say that's not what I would do in this situation, wouldn't you?

Thank you for instructing me on how to write my posts. Please do excuse me if I choose to ignore this and carry on expressing my own opinion in my own words.

Mummits
14-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Apologies if I have offended you which was not my intention.

Bridey
14-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Already forgotten :thumbsup: