PDA

View Full Version : tax credits if self employed?!

smithya85
13-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Hello!

Wondered if anyone might be able to advise me on a something ive been pondering . . . .

I was a childminder when i lived with my husband but unregistered to start a job in a nursery where i now work. I separated from my husband a year ago and now get tax credits to help me since im a single parent. part of the working tax credits i receive are to help pay for childcare for my child while i work but im wondering if i were to register as a childminder, now my situation is different would i get working tax credits for working self employed and would i get help with the cost of childcare as although i would be looking after my child she would be taking up a chilcare place and without childcare (By me or otherwise) i cant work?! The tax credits i receive top up my income enough for me to live on and without them i wouldnt be able to keep a roof over our heads so if they would stop i couldnt register again! :-(

I will phone HM revenue and customs tomorrow but just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this tonight while im pondering??

Thanks,

Amy :-)

Bridey
13-05-2012, 09:58 PM
No, you don't get tax credits for minding your own child ... gosh if we did I would be owed a huuuuuge back payment! :D

However, the good news is that the tax credit only look at your profit, your income after expenses have been taken out, so even if your income was the same as it is at the nursery - you will get more help.

As a single parent childminder, depending on the age of your child, you may be better off applying for income support instead (they only take a third of your income to make their calculations), at least until business has built up a bit. However, I don't know how you would stand on this if you were giving up a job to become self-employed. You could also qualify for council tax credit & free prescriptions/eye tests.

I've been a lone parent for 12 years and childminding for the same length of time - it has been very good to me so contact the tax credit office, speak to your job centre and have a look at www.entitledto.com and they should all be able to help you :)

aly
13-05-2012, 11:24 PM
HI

Yes you would get tax credits but not the working element....s you are not out working but can look after your child yourself....we all have to save a place of our own children as thats part and parcel of workign from home etc.

You can claim childcare costs if your child was in say preschool for some morning etc, my daughter was in playgroup 4 mornings for 2 hours.

smithya85
14-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Thank you both for that!! I phoned this morning b4 i checked on here & they told me the same! :-) my main motivation for becoming registered again is i work till 6pm & my daughter attends the same nursery i work at at the moment which is great coz i get to see her but when she starts school in aug she'll hav to go to afterschool care & she wont get home till after 6pm, & after a long day at school she'll b tired & i dont expect to get much time with her! :-( her dad has her alot at weekends just now coz i see alot of her thru the week but once shes at school i'll really miss our time together!! Of course i also really enjoy working with children which is why i work in a nursery so seems like a logical decision?! :-\ bit scary the thought of leaving employment tho!!

Great to hear from another single parent too, thanks!! Its nice knowing other people r in the same boat!! :-)

Xxx

Goatgirl
14-05-2012, 09:08 AM
HI

Yes you would get tax credits but not the working element....s you are not out working but can look after your child yourself....we all have to save a place of our own children as thats part and parcel of workign from home etc.

You can claim childcare costs if your child was in say preschool for some morning etc, my daughter was in playgroup 4 mornings for 2 hours.

Hi :),
This is confusing me as I am a single parent childminding and recieve the working element. It went up when my hours changed from 16 to 30+ too.... I think the point is that you're working, not that you're working outside the home?

I also founf I was better off childminding than going out to work, as tax credits only count your income after expenses, (so between 1/3 - 1/2 of my own total income from childminding). Until recently I had housing benefit and council tax benefit help too :thumbsup:

Good luck with your decision :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

kellib
14-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm a single parent and I get WTC too, at the moment I also get housing benefit and council tax help but that'll stop as I take more children on in September.

I'm miles better off childminding that I've ever been before and I'm miles happier too so it's all good :thumbsup:

Kiddleywinks
14-05-2012, 10:14 AM
HI

This is wrong, sorry, you would get the working element, but you wouldn't be able to claim the childcare part of working tax credits to look after your own child.
If you were to use a different registered provider, so you then incurred childcare costs yourself, then you would be able to claim those, if that makes sense lol :D

aly
14-05-2012, 12:02 PM
This is wrong, sorry, you would get the working element, but you wouldn't be able to claim the childcare part of working tax credits to look after your own child.
If you were to use a different registered provider, so you then incurred childcare costs yourself, then you would be able to claim those, if that makes sense lol :D
sorry yes, i confused myself :blush:, it was the childcare element.

sorry for confusion.:rolleyes:

smithya85
14-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Dont worry aly I knew what u meant!! :)

Thank you all for your helpful responses!!!!

Amy x