PDA

View Full Version : Does this planning sound OK for 2 under 1's/nearly 1's

acorns
13-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I've recently started looking after 2 under 1's with a variation. Due to my family commitments I find I don't have enough time to plan as much as I would like to/used to & have an inspection due so was hoping to get some opinions on what I currently do.....

I have a weekly plan on the wall that states where we are going each day and one general planned activity (book, rhymes, bubbles, singing, certain toys). I then also do a termly individual planning sheet that has the EYFS headings and 1 or 2 activities that we'll focus on in that particular EYFS area for the following term, these are the next steps from my observations (1 a week or fortnight) which I record in an individual book for each child. Then the cycle starts again the next term, I know I should probably review the activities, but I only make mental notes for improvement and don't write this bit down, I also have a bank of ideas that come in to play whenever I think the babies might like it or are in the right mood. I used to write up detailed plans of 1 individual activity for each child per week, but have found this is pointless as they are usually busy with something else or not in the mood for when I'd planned the activity. How does that sound? Thanks

jumpinjen
13-05-2012, 08:32 PM
I've recently started looking after 2 under 1's with a variation. Due to my family commitments I find I don't have enough time to plan as much as I would like to/used to & have an inspection due so was hoping to get some opinions on what I currently do.....

I have a weekly plan on the wall that states where we are going each day and one general planned activity (book, rhymes, bubbles, singing, certain toys). I then also do a termly individual planning sheet that has the EYFS headings and 1 or 2 activities that we'll focus on in that particular EYFS area for the following term, these are the next steps from my observations (1 a week or fortnight) which I record in an individual book for each child. Then the cycle starts again the next term, I know I should probably review the activities, but I only make mental notes for improvement and don't write this bit down, I also have a bank of ideas that come in to play whenever I think the babies might like it or are in the right mood. I used to write up detailed plans of 1 individual activity for each child per week, but have found this is pointless as they are usually busy with something else or not in the mood for when I'd planned the activity. How does that sound? Thanks

Sounds great - perhaps you could start a notebook for professional/setting development and you could note down things that you have changed or adapted over time and why or quick notes from your mental evalutaions of things - this shows you developing for Ofsted also! Do you involve the parents at all in that planning for the term? Could you ask them what they think their LO has achieved and what they think is important to focus on next? Do you make it clear on your observations when something has stemmed from a next step? This would help to show the link between your observations and your planning. HTH, Jen x

Baildon bears
13-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Sounds fine to me, I have little ones and I have found its better to simplify your planning, I do a colour every term, this term is yellow, we read books on yellow, play with yellow playdo, build with yellow brick, make a yellow treasure basket ect... its easy to follow and does not matter if we miss a weeks activate, I also follow the childrens interests by observing. For example the older kids were pretending to fight a dragon so the next week we visited the library to get books on dragons and made a dragon out of scrap, its a never ending cycle I plan as I go along so like to have very loose planning in place to give me a starting point if you see what I mean.:blush:

sarah707
13-05-2012, 08:58 PM
The most important thing to show is that the children are learning and developing and progressing while with you.

How you show that is up to you!! And the children must come first, before paperwork.

So simplify what you are doing until it is meaningful and reflects what you do during the week.

Don't forget some of it can be written up after the event when you have reflected on what actually happened and how things went.

Hth :D

jumpinjen
13-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Just noticed that you are outstanding - I'm sure you are still that fab, if not fabber so don't worry!

Jen x