PDA

View Full Version : Which Course???? HELP ME!!

nfe4r
13-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi im new and this is my first post, in a nut shell im going insane trying to further my training. I want to get on a good and relevant course asap but cant find any answers as to what IS relevant to me. Ive been a childminder for over 2 years and wanted to do the cypop3 full course but cant seem to find info about the full course except one company MNT training who do it for £1300! ive recently found a bit of info on hildren and young peoples workforce level 3 diploma course which sounds a good course to take, has anyone done either of these and if so how did u get on them?? i want to study at home as got a nearly 3 year old myself and another due in sept! Can anyone help at all?? Ncma have been useless in this area which is disappointing as normally so good. I understand no one can tell me which course is good for me but im just trying to find out how i can, if i can, get on either of these and peoples experience Thanks sooooo much in advance :)

blue bear
13-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Sorry I'm old nvq so not up to date on course available now, bumping so someone else will see your post.
. There is also an area on the forum about course, might be worth looking there.

When I looked for my course I googled training companies in my area then rang around seeing who could fit my needs the best.

funemnx
13-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I've just about completed the CYPW Level 3 course and found it really good. I got full funding for it from my local college but I don't know anything about home based courses and funding unfortunately. However, my course was only 2 1/2 hours every other Tuesday night and the rest was coursework plus home visits for observations and professional discussions. Would something like that suit you if it was only a few hours every other week?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :D

jumpinjen
13-05-2012, 05:39 PM
There is a company called Platinum i think that do level three and fours around my way - minders I know have done before and are doing them now and very good support with assessor/tutor coming regularly to your home to help you complete it - not sure of cost as our LEA fund them - have you asked your LEA what support they provide?? your Do or early years team might be able to help you decide - if you want to know which qualifications are relevant you can look on a site that has just slipped out of my mind :o CWDC maybe and look at the list of approved/recognised courses

HTH, Jen x

jumping j
14-05-2012, 06:52 AM
I have done the Diploma in CYPW through my local college and got it funded, I'm not sure if they're still doing it though due to cost cutting.
We had afternoon session for 3 hours a week on a wednesday but we didn't have to go. An assessor came to visit me around 6 times to observe, have 'professional discussions' and take paperwork away to mark, she was a great support, as was the course tutor.

However I know 2 childminders who did the same course at another local college and got none of the support I got and really struggled.
It tooke me around 6 months to complete the paperwork but I did it as I was setting up and only caring for 4 part time children so had a spare few hours most days. It took the other childminders closer to a year and I think one or two on my course are still going over a year later.

I found some elements of the course useful but there was a lot of repetition and, because I was already aware of a lot of the EYFS etc.(I used to be a teacher), I didn't find it as helpful as some of the other childminders on the course. It's also aimed primarily at nursery staff so there's a lot of talk about mangers and key workers whihc wasn't relevent to me.

I think on any course there're things that are useful and things that aren't
The CYPOP5 is one module on the course which I found quite useful and interesting as it is aimed at childminders

If you get funding and do the course I would advise getting one of the books that accompany the course as they guide you through all the modules and give suggestions on what to write/where to look for info.