PDA

View Full Version : help...I'm so annoyed!!!

lucyD
12-05-2012, 09:11 AM
I was allowed to start my level 3 with only 1 mindee on my books...she is a neighbour & friend so she is allowing me to have her LO for assessments etc prior to november when she officially starts with me. I was reg in Jan but have no mindees as yet apart from her...anyway like I say I have now completed 3 units but have an email this morning saying I will be kicked off (nice way to phrase it) if I dont have a regularly attending mindee or more on my books...I am so annoyed & dont know what to do... They allowed me on it knowing my situation & have put a lot of time & effort doing 3 units so far, as well as money getting to course, buying textbooks etc, I feel this very unfair but dont know what to do..

Shall I offer free childcare just to get through course or give up & go get a different job! I knew it could take a while to get first mindees but this is crazy, I reg in Jan! Any advice...words of wisdom would be great as I feel so low..I am doing this course to better myself & provide a better service but it feels like red tape is ruining it

blue bear
12-05-2012, 09:24 AM
The email you had, do you just need one regular mindee or more?

If it is just one then I would offer the future mindee (neighbours child) a regular weekly session and put them on your books officially, start taking them to toddlers advertising you are a childminder that way, seeing you in a action helps parents get to know you and often leads to recommendations.

Other options would be to volunteer at the children's centre or local preschool this could qualify you onto te course, check with your provider.

I take it you are advertising your services everywhere, what about trying social services see if thy have any children who might need a short term placement?

uf353432
12-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I don't see how they can kick you off it is was the terms in which they allowed you to take the course and on that basis I would appeal, certainly they should give you an amount of time that is reasonable.

There may well be some aspects of the course that you simply cannot complete until you have mindee's - but I would have thought that they could have your course rolling until that time comes. I wouldn't offer free childcare personally.

In the meantime step up all advertising in your local area, speak to childminders and make sure they have your details to pass on enquiries they can't fulfil. Speak to your childrens centre in case they get an enquiry for a childminder. Speak to local preschools and let them now you are ready to work.

I would go back and challenge the letter though - seems a bit unfair.

rickysmiths
12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I think it is a requirement of the new Diploma that you are working 16 or 18 hours a week with Early Years Children and this should have been made clear to you when you started the course.

mummyof3
12-05-2012, 09:40 AM
I am sorry for saying this but you will struggle to continue the level 3 without having early years children on your books. I completed mine at beginning of the year and needed lots of experience and evidence to complete the course. The assessor spent a lot of the time observing me with the early years children so a huge gap will be empty in your course. As previously said it is now a requirement but they should have told you this before you started the course.

Hope things work out for you :thumbsup:

lucyD
12-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I have my own son & can use her LO whenever I want so thought this would be ok. I have found the course fine so far as I have a lot of knowledge & common sense & think I will be ok but just dont think its fair to let me start then say this... 16 hrs a week is a lot of free childcare to give out..I just dont know what to do..I will def challenge it & see what they say..I know I can do it. I had an enquiry for a 7 & 11 yr old would that count if I got them on my books or does it have to be early years?

Mouse
12-05-2012, 09:51 AM
What a shame they didn't make it clear from the beginning that you had to be working with children to complete the course.

I would get back in touch with them and ask exactly what the conditions are, ie. how many children do you need to be looking after, how many hours per week? Then see if you can fill the necessary hours with your friend's child or by doing voluntary work somewhere.

Cammie Doodle
12-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Good Luck I hope you get it sorted. Just thought can you do some volunteering at a local Nursery etc ?

lucyD
12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
I asked my tutor & apparantly they have turned people down for the course who are volunteering at nurseries..? I will blag it & see what happens, not going out without a fight :clapping:

The Juggler
12-05-2012, 02:20 PM
ok so what about all the nursery workers there. what if they are sacked, or lose their jobs through redundancy are they going to kick them all of the course too ??? :panic:

i would agree with others, take on your friends little one a few hours a week, then they can't say anything. Honestly!

Pixie dust
12-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't see how they can turn you down if you are doing some voluntery work with your local nursery or pre school. I am doing my foundation degree with the OU and they accept you as long as you are doing the required number of hours wether its paid employment or voluntery. Who are you training with is it your local college?

lucyD
12-05-2012, 03:23 PM
ok so what about all the nursery workers there. what if they are sacked, or lose their jobs through redundancy are they going to kick them all of the course too ??? :panic:

i would agree with others, take on your friends little one a few hours a week, then they can't say anything. Honestly!

Thats what I thought...I am the only childminder on the course & its very much geared towards settings so maybe I am just awkward for them. I will email assessor on Monday as say that mum has decided to use me earlier than she thought as needs to start a course or something & that I am having her 2 days a week, they will never know! She is great with me anyway as known her since she was born so should be no prob with assessments. Thanks for your advice :clapping:

FussyElmo
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
is the course being funded is that why they are refusing volunteers at nurseries etc.....

I think its terrible that thye allowed you to start the course knowing your circumstances then to say you cant continue.

Hope you manage to sort it.

Ps if you have paid for the course tell them if they decide you cant continue you want all the money back plus recompense for books etc

funemnx
12-05-2012, 03:56 PM
They only know you don't have children on your books because that is what you told them - what if you told them the situation has changed and the lo has started early?

boxtree7
12-05-2012, 05:48 PM
If your observations are all completed you should be allowed to continue with your NVQ without any children. Im leaving in the summer and have a student doing her Level 3 and her tutor told us both so long as all observations are complete she can do the other work without a placement.

lucyD
12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
They only know you don't have children on your books because that is what you told them - what if you told them the situation has changed and the lo has started early?

Thank you, yes I was too honest when my assessor came to introduce herself, she seemed nice & I trusted her...I said that my mindee didn't start until Nov so she obviously went back & said I have no-one!! My tutor has now emailed me & she is fighting my corner, she totally agrees & believes in me & has basically said I should fight it...have now rang another friend & will have her little girl 'on my books' so to speak for the assessments as well as the other one & I will tell them at the top (internal verifyer) what they want to hear basically.

Its poo & I hate lying but I will do it as soooooo want to finish what I started & it will help me, my mindees & everyone involved if I do it so whats the problem. Yes it is part funded, I have to pay £120 but not been asked for it yet... I have to drive 20 miles there & back as well as buying textbook etc will be thoroughly cheesed if its all been for nothing................

Will keep you all posted...

BTW THANK YOU for all your replies, its sooo helpful this site

Cheers lovelies ;)

It's a small world
12-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I feel for you so much so annoying being messed about . I too am having problems with Level 3. I have a degree and no one will prvide funding for me cheapest £600 so far. Had an assessor come and visit who said they will help and try and get funding (as degree not in childcare- only childcare qualifications I have are those gained since I registered) Anyway got a call saying I will get funding for Level 2 (not bad a start and then as had one funded will struggle but will pay for level 3) Have now been told under no circumstances will I be entitled to funding. I feel so discriminated against. I understand if I had qualifications in childcare not to get funding but I dont. I have written to my local MP altough that may not do much. Anyway Im now waiting till January to see what happens with regards to all the talk about the future of cms's before I put money into a course. Im so annoyed this will have a huge effect on my family if I am unable to do it.
I was told to lie and not mention degree but was so scared in case they found out and then hit me with a bill for £1000 as was quoted £2500 at one point :eek: not worth lying unless ou know what the consequences may be.
Good luck x
Hope you get it sorted x

Kiddleywinks
12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I gather, having spoken to some assessors/IV's from a different industry (not childcare related at all) that the idea was to give people that have NO qualifications something that IS a recognized qualification.
This is why the 'agent' asks what qualifications you have already

Applicants that already have recognized qualifications, either CSE's/GCSE's (above a certain grading), O Levels, A Levels, Degrees and NVQ's in other areas (can) automatically become ineligible for automatic government funding.

That's not to say the company can't seek funding via different routes - EU funding for example, but the more qualifications you have, not necessarily in the field you're in now, the more searching for available funding has to be done

Won't necessarily help, but nice to know and understand a bit more

lucyD
12-05-2012, 08:36 PM
I feel for you so much so annoying being messed about . I too am having problems with Level 3. I have a degree and no one will prvide funding for me cheapest £600 so far. Had an assessor come and visit who said they will help and try and get funding (as degree not in childcare- only childcare qualifications I have are those gained since I registered) Anyway got a call saying I will get funding for Level 2 (not bad a start and then as had one funded will struggle but will pay for level 3) Have now been told under no circumstances will I be entitled to funding. I feel so discriminated against. I understand if I had qualifications in childcare not to get funding but I dont. I have written to my local MP altough that may not do much. Anyway Im now waiting till January to see what happens with regards to all the talk about the future of cms's before I put money into a course. Im so annoyed this will have a huge effect on my family if I am unable to do it.
I was told to lie and not mention degree but was so scared in case they found out and then hit me with a bill for £1000 as was quoted £2500 at one point :eek: not worth lying unless ou know what the consequences may be.
Good luck x
Hope you get it sorted x

To put it bluntly..that sucks..I feel for you. I am hoping if I can complete this course I will at least have a recognised childcare qualification so if childminding doesn't work I could apply for nursery/pre-school positions as I really want a future in childcare!! & the prices are so much when you dont earn much! Think telling a few porkies gets you far in this life...sad but looks that way. I have always been too honest for my own good, maybe I should learn! I guess they have criteria to meet etc etc

The funny thing is I never even filled out the forms to go on the course, I sent off for them but saw that you needed 2 mindees & 18 months experience so didn't do it. Next thing I knew I got a letter saying I had missed the intoduction evening???? So I contacted them & its from there I managed to get a place, if anything they encouraged me to get on it & said it would be ok???

Anyway to update you I have got an email from my tutor who is a superstar & is going to talk them round and help me out. Fingers crossed :jump for joy:

It's a small world
13-05-2012, 01:25 PM
I gather, having spoken to some assessors/IV's from a different industry (not childcare related at all) that the idea was to give people that have NO qualifications something that IS a recognized qualification.
This is why the 'agent' asks what qualifications you have already

Applicants that already have recognized qualifications, either CSE's/GCSE's (above a certain grading), O Levels, A Levels, Degrees and NVQ's in other areas (can) automatically become ineligible for automatic government funding.

That's not to say the company can't seek funding via different routes - EU funding for example, but the more qualifications you have, not necessarily in the field you're in now, the more searching for available funding has to be done

Won't necessarily help, but nice to know and understand a bit more

Thats all well but isnt it the government saying that we should have this qualification by a certain date otherwise we will have to quit this job ? I understand its helping people gain a qualification if they dont but I worked my butt off to get my degree then circumstances changed - moved away from family , hubby now works away from home and therefore I need this job as I have no one to help me or my children out. We have just had our tax credits stopped because we are over the figure but do not earn enough for me to put our children in childcare hence me doing this job. I have always worked from leaving school even whilst doing my degree I worked to help pay my way. Now I have to find all this money so I can continue to earn my living and support my family when what I could do is sit on my bum all day and claim benefits(I would probably earn more in benefits) but that is not me I will not sponge off the country I want to earn a living but they are making it very difficult. Sorry not meaning to rant I m just annoyed that I am trying to do my best and they are almost forcing me onto the unemployment line and benefits.:(

lucyD
14-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Thats all well but isnt it the government saying that we should have this qualification by a certain date otherwise we will have to quit this job ? I understand its helping people gain a qualification if they dont but I worked my butt off to get my degree then circumstances changed - moved away from family , hubby now works away from home and therefore I need this job as I have no one to help me or my children out. We have just had our tax credits stopped because we are over the figure but do not earn enough for me to put our children in childcare hence me doing this job. I have always worked from leaving school even whilst doing my degree I worked to help pay my way. Now I have to find all this money so I can continue to earn my living and support my family when what I could do is sit on my bum all day and claim benefits(I would probably earn more in benefits) but that is not me I will not sponge off the country I want to earn a living but they are making it very difficult. Sorry not meaning to rant I m just annoyed that I am trying to do my best and they are almost forcing me onto the unemployment line and benefits.:(

TOTALLY agree with you. We are the ones trying to better ourselves & its as if we are trying to do something bad, like I said I know they have criterea etc but its crazy when you know damn well you can complete the course. I could easily give up after all at the moment you dont actually NEED the course but I feel it will be needed in future (when funding has run dry) & there is no way most people can afford £1800 on a childminders wage. Hope you get some luck come your way soon hun xx

onceinabluemoon
14-05-2012, 09:17 AM
I haven't read through all the answers (LO is asleep so rushing a bit) but who exactly is saying you can't do it? If its the course providers and they have pulled down funding for you please contact the people who give the funding as they will not like the course providers taking the funding and then refusing to teach you.

I got kicked off the CYPW course by my local college because i had to cancel my tutor twice (first time my mindees dad kept her at home last minute and the second time we had D&V and had to close so basically i got kicked off for being responsible and following 'the rules'...) I'm really glad they did because I'm doing so much better with the new course providers but thats another story.

My LEA who provided the funding got in touch with the college as she said they cannot kick me off, turned out they could because they hadn't pulled down the funding yet so even though I'd done loads of work I still got kicked off it may be different for you as it sounds like you've been on it for longer so do try.

lucyD
14-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I haven't read through all the answers (LO is asleep so rushing a bit) but who exactly is saying you can't do it? If its the course providers and they have pulled down funding for you please contact the people who give the funding as they will not like the course providers taking the funding and then refusing to teach you.

I got kicked off the CYPW course by my local college because i had to cancel my tutor twice (first time my mindees dad kept her at home last minute and the second time we had D&V and had to close so basically i got kicked off for being responsible and following 'the rules'...) I'm really glad they did because I'm doing so much better with the new course providers but thats another story.

My LEA who provided the funding got in touch with the college as she said they cannot kick me off, turned out they could because they hadn't pulled down the funding yet so even though I'd done loads of work I still got kicked off it may be different for you as it sounds like you've been on it for longer so do try.

Its the internal verifier,Ive been on it since the start of April.They knew my situation when I was accepted on but assessor went & reported back i had no mindees as I was too honest with her at initial visit as mindee not starting with me officially until Nov...so this is strictly true (ATM) but I am having children regularly so I can use them for assessments. My tutor is fighting my corner so hoping this will be be sorted as I will do anything to stay on it as in the future I know funding wont be available so this will be my last chance & it may end me quitting childminding if i get kicked off

It's a small world
16-05-2012, 04:10 PM

I have contacted a lady on FB who is a training provide and also had a training provider came out and try and to get some funding but same answer keeps coming back -because I have a degree (higher qualification ) Im not entitled because they want to give it to those who are less fortunate than me and help them gain a qualification. My argumnent is that when I registered Level 3 was not a requirement. I did my degree to better myself I also worked 20+hours a week in a supermarket to help pay my way whilst DOING my degree so not in the student bar all hours. My degree is not in childcare its in business and tourism. My friend who is a cm decided not to further her career after school (like alot of people- not everyone wants to - but their choice not to get further education and qualification.) she has exactly the same childcare qualifications as me as more or less started the same time as me (we met on a course) yet because she CHOSE NOT to further her education is entitled to funding and therefore can continue in this career (should it become compulsory) yet I cannot unless I pay. Today I heard that unemplyment is on a low compared to this time last year or something well that will change as next year it will be an all time high when us childminders that have to pay will become unemployed. Sorry I am really annoyed about this topic. I have written to my local MP and newspaper about this. I have worked hard. I got made redundant whilst 8 months pregnant with ds1 and had to put ds into childcare earlier than planned, then with ds2 my company would not help me with working hours as job was full time and were not prepared to work with me (as no family around to help) but were later persuaded that that was a wrong decision but by this time I had started the process of becoming a cm - which has worked out great. Sorry ranting on again but so annoyed that I have worked so hard and feel like I am being pushed into unemployment unless I pay (which I will have to do as no other option - but feel my views should be aired as I feel sooooo discriminated against esp as its the government that say this will be a requirement ) :angry::angry:Sorry this topic really upsets me.:mad:thanks for reading if you got this far :blush:

It's a small world
16-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Its the internal verifier,Ive been on it since the start of April.They knew my situation when I was accepted on but assessor went & reported back i had no mindees as I was too honest with her at initial visit as mindee not starting with me officially until Nov...so this is strictly true (ATM) but I am having children regularly so I can use them for assessments. My tutor is fighting my corner so hoping this will be be sorted as I will do anything to stay on it as in the future I know funding wont be available so this will be my last chance & it may end me quitting childminding if i get kicked off

Hope you get sorted too x

bec1
17-05-2012, 09:30 AM
i know where you can get funding for volunteers in nurseries and funding self employed childminders
no one can gain funding at the moment if they hold a degree

lucyD
17-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I have contacted a lady on FB who is a training provide and also had a training provider came out and try and to get some funding but same answer keeps coming back -because I have a degree (higher qualification ) Im not entitled because they want to give it to those who are less fortunate than me and help them gain a qualification. My argumnent is that when I registered Level 3 was not a requirement. I did my degree to better myself I also worked 20+hours a week in a supermarket to help pay my way whilst DOING my degree so not in the student bar all hours. My degree is not in childcare its in business and tourism. My friend who is a cm decided not to further her career after school (like alot of people- not everyone wants to - but their choice not to get further education and qualification.) she has exactly the same childcare qualifications as me as more or less started the same time as me (we met on a course) yet because she CHOSE NOT to further her education is entitled to funding and therefore can continue in this career (should it become compulsory) yet I cannot unless I pay. Today I heard that unemplyment is on a low compared to this time last year or something well that will change as next year it will be an all time high when us childminders that have to pay will become unemployed. Sorry I am really annoyed about this topic. I have written to my local MP and newspaper about this. I have worked hard. I got made redundant whilst 8 months pregnant with ds1 and had to put ds into childcare earlier than planned, then with ds2 my company would not help me with working hours as job was full time and were not prepared to work with me (as no family around to help) but were later persuaded that that was a wrong decision but by this time I had started the process of becoming a cm - which has worked out great. Sorry ranting on again but so annoyed that I have worked so hard and feel like I am being pushed into unemployment unless I pay (which I will have to do as no other option - but feel my views should be aired as I feel sooooo discriminated against esp as its the government that say this will be a requirement ) :angry::angry:Sorry this topic really upsets me.:mad:thanks for reading if you got this far :blush:

God thats awful hun. I have now been told I can continue..PHEW!!

I am still unsure what will happen as regards childminders as have heard a few things bandied round recently..one that you will need the level 3 by 2013 but also heard they are loosening the red tape making it easier for childminders...wish I knew which was true. I am wanting to do it so I can take on funded children but have heard something about CM not being able to in future & they must go to nurseries????????????? Whatever it the truth we shall prob find out LAST!! Chin up hun, hope you get somewhere with it eventually, its a lot of money isn't it :(