PDA

View Full Version : Osteo arthritus

childminder54
11-05-2012, 10:16 PM
I've had a bad knee now for about 4 years came and went. Went to the doctors and was told to put on rub on didn't work don't like doctors or hospitals well I'm having the pain all the time went to doctors had a x ray went back for results tonight and was told I've got Osteo arthritus hurts when I go up stairs and doesn't help when I have to knee down to change babies. All they have said it early stages and take pain killers and given me a leaflet on exercises and if it gets really painful I can have a operation not nice. What have I got to look forward to husband showed me a picture of a stair lift and sons said well we can put you in a home joke.

Cammie Doodle
11-05-2012, 11:20 PM
:( I have this too . And some days my fingers really ache . Waist height changing table is the way to go, so much better for knees and back :)

Carol M
12-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Bless you!
Join the ranks, I have this too. Think its a sign of age and wear and tear. I had a hip resurface in 2006, need the other doing but have refused another op, very long story, I will carry on till I drop. Then I have my mums mobility scooter to borrow :laughing:
I found acupuncture the ONLY thing that helped relieve my pain ( and I hate needles) Sadly can't have it now as on blood thiners so would spring a leak :laughing:
Hope you find something that works for you
Carol xx

rickysmiths
12-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I have this too. Inherited from my dear old mum!

I have never changed nappies on the floor, even with my own two 20 years ago. I have the changing mat on the table. I have never had a problem with it or with Ofsted over it.

I find massaging with Tea Tree Oil, a very high quality one helps tremendously. I was very stiff last night and it took me ages to get upstairs but this morning I an fine. I also use a moisturizing lotion that has tea tree in it.

I fine I rarely have to take pain killers at the moment I hate having to take them on a regular basis and I'm glad to have found an alternative that seems to work for me.

If anyone wants to know where I get my tea tree do pm me.

Cammie Doodle
12-05-2012, 09:50 AM

I have never changed nappies on the floor, even with my own two 20 years ago. I have the changing mat on the table. I have never had a problem with it or with Ofsted over it.

I find massaging with Tea Tree Oil, a very high quality one helps tremendously. I was very stiff last night and it took me ages to get upstairs but this morning I an fine. I also use a moisturizing lotion that has tea tree in it.

I fine I rarely have to take pain killers at the moment I hate having to take them on a regular basis and I'm glad to have found an alternative that seems to work for me.

Thanks for that, my Mum swears by Emu oil, like you I hate taking meds for it so I will try Tea Tree I love the smell of it so that is a bonus ;)

francinejayne
12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Think its a sign of age and wear and tear.

My 17 year old son has this too :( He was diagnosed when he was 5

He has had numerous steroid injections into his joints and is on regular medication. I worry for his future, but then again when I have taken him to the arthritis clinic at Alder Hey Children's hospital and I see some of the other children there with life threatening conditions, I remind myself that he is lucky!

SarahJellybean
06-11-2012, 09:53 AM
I know this is an old thread I am bumping up but I have been told this morning that I have osteo arthritis in my hip. V. Painful. But I am due my pre-reg inspection any time now so hoe I can still register.

CH1957
06-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Yes I have it too in most of my joints. Always worse in this cold weather but I have found that I can control the pain by what I eat, some foods seem to trigger more pain. Is been trial and error over the last 10 years but might be worth trying for anyone who hates taking tablets like I do. I also go the chiropractor about every 3 months, it helps keep the joints loose.

Jellybean - dont worry you'll still be able to register, my doctor didnt think it was a problem at all when he signed the health declaration form.

lilac_dragon
06-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Hi rickysmiths, I'd be interested in trying this, apart from the problems linked to childminding, I teach Archery at the weekends and am finding I have a very stiff shoulder after carrying lo's around Mon-Fri.
which one do you use?

Mrs Scrubbit
06-11-2012, 11:50 PM
I've got this too in my hips,lower back ,knees ,right hand ,shoulder and neck putting off having any operations but have had to give in and have the bones in my foot fused also stopped taking any meds as don't like the side effects they can cause long term ,somedays are very painful esp. in damp weather just have to keep my joints moving and mobile x

rickysmiths
07-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Hi rickysmiths, I'd be interested in trying this, apart from the problems linked to childminding, I teach Archery at the weekends and am finding I have a very stiff shoulder after carrying lo's around Mon-Fri.
which one do you use?

I buy mine mail order from a company called Melaleuca Melaleuca (http://www.melaleuca.com)