PDA

View Full Version : safer food better business?

notts
11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Ok, so I've registered for this and am now waiting for an inspection. Would be interested to know of anyone who's had an inspection and what you thought. I know one minder who has and she said 'nightmare'. I have a dog which I am told complicates things, also I'm concerned with the layout of my house as to whether we will need to put another door between downstairs toilet and the kitchen :idea:

sarahjane
11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Don't worry about it, I have a dog who is in the kitchen all day and when I prepare food. My inspector said as long as you had risk assessed it and have it written in your file that you do the whole wash hands, don't touch dog, check food for hair etc thing then there's no problem,:)

notts
11-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Phew! I understand the whole hygiene in a business thing but taking the business thing out of it, my family and our dog, oh my life bar a chair at the table he's part of everything :laughing::laughing::laughing: Got to be different now though ;)

Posy
11-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Have you been through and filled out the 'safer food better business' pack? It will cover a lot of what they need to know!
I can't speak for your inspector obviously, but mine was very aware of the fact that it was my home and she treated it accordingly. The inspection was fine, and I even got some good stories out of her!
Don't stress over it too much - i don't believe it has any 'direct' impact on your business. If there is stuff they think you should do better, they will tell you right away and maybe come back again if it is something serious - but I'm sure that isn't applicable to you!

Finally, good luck - but please don't get too wound up over it!

rickysmiths
11-05-2012, 09:28 PM
You only need one door between the toilet and the kitchen now. The regulations have been changed. But you can check with the Building Control Dept at your local planning office or with Environmental health who you contact via you local council and they will confirm for you as well.

This is the file you need. if you phone the Food Standards Agency they will send it to you in a few days and it's free. :thumbsup:

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/

miffy
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm sure you'll be fine.

Go through the Safer Food Better Business pack before they come, most of it is common sense.

Good luck

Miffy xx

notts
12-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys!

Yes done the pack, and to be honest, most of it is common practice. I don't have a fridge thermometre but I'll let them tell me I need one if I do.

Rickysmiths - thats great re the door thing! I didn't know that. We have one door separating but the toilet is down a (what used to be) hallway, still half a hallway, then an arch into kitchen so probably about 3m away I'd say :)