PDA

View Full Version : potty training 17 month old....

WibbleWobble
11-05-2012, 09:23 AM
mum drops off K this morning and says "i will be bringing a potty next week for K".......er.......i say i dont think she is ready....she isnt showing any signs. She only says Mummy, daddy, actually she uses the word daddy for most things at the moment. She doesnt give any signs to want to wee....she is widdling constantly....no dry times at all.

mum then turns round and says "so you are refusing to help me then?" i suggest she tries in june when i am on holiday....then i will help if K is dry.

i wait for the pigs to fly.....mum thinks i will do all the work.

righto.....now re printing my potty training policy to give to mum tonight..

some folk make me laugh!

AliceK
11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Oh I know the feeling that's why I did a toilet training policy. I will support parents once they have got LO dry and I will accept the odd accident will happen but I wont do all the work for them. I try and explain to the parents our job in all areas is to be led by the child and take our lead from the child and it would be frowned upon if we were pushing a child to do something they are not ready for.

xxxx

miffy
11-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I try and explain to the parents our job in all areas is to be led by the child and take our lead from the child and it would be frowned upon if we were pushing a child to do something they are not ready for.

xxxx

I think that's a great way to explain it! :thumbsup:

Well done Mandy for standing your ground, some parents :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

caz3007
11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
I had a mum that decided her DD was going to be trained before she was 2, so far mum has take 2 seperate weeks off to try and its not worked. I did suggest she wasnt ready and to perhaps wait until August when we were both off and LO will be 2.5 to try.

Why the rush, its all about money for nappies and not when the child is ready.

catlyn
11-05-2012, 10:27 AM
I've got a 30 month old at the minute who is still not ready...mum brings him 3 days a week and says he is "almost potty trained" in reality he sits on the potty quite happily for up to 40 mins at a time and if you are lucky he will produce a wee or a poo (more by luck than anything else) she thinks this is him trained. He has very few clearly understandable words...poo and wee are not among them....and he has no concept of what he has done in his nappy...If I smell he has done one I ask have you done a poo and he just looks at me with no understanding of what I am saying. I am going along with what she wants ...sitting him on the potty every 2 hours and hopefully he will eventually realise what we are doing but i feel until he can tell me hes done a poo we are wasting our time. I would love to know how everyone else approaches potty training x

nipper
11-05-2012, 10:37 AM
I started looking after a little girl in March who was two last December, so she's now 29 months old. Mum told me when she signed up that she had started potty training :eek: but I thought 'how hard can it be?' It was all initiated by the child apparently.
We've had a few accidents mainly with no 2's, but as I was just telling mum last night she has really done very well considering and even has her nap after lunch without a pull up on. Result.
I don't think I would have started my own daughter as young as that (she was 2½ and managed it within about 12 weeks) but I suppose it depends on the child.
Now we have to work on getting rid of the dummy (mum's words, not mine before I get ****** on again lol)

I also look after a 17 month old, whose mum says she quite happily sits on the potty in the bathroom at home (more wishful thinking on mum's part I think) but there is no way I would start potty training until the child understands the words poo and wee and can associate these with the 'actions'.

Baildon bears
11-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a 23month old little girl who is nearly ready, the difference is she is very advanced and you can have a conversation with her, she has been dry all morning:clapping:, but she has decided to put her nappy back on as she said she had had enough wee wee's lol, Mums great no pressure to do it, we have just gone with what the child wants to do, I think she will be dry come the summer.

nipper
11-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Too much effort sometimes isn't it...bless her!

beachgirl29
11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
no point you doing the hard work if there's no signs of her being ready. mum should do it at the weekends for a bit then ask you in a few months time! i had nannys help with my daughter but there was signs of dryness and an interest to sit on it.

i don't think she's ready too.

plus would she be providing a big bag a spare clothes?

Carol M
11-05-2012, 11:51 AM
I think if you continue to try and train when the child is not responsive to the idea then you can actually delay them in becoming "trained".
I would only try for a couple of days and if no success at all then I would stop it completely, leave a while then try again.
And in my policy I ask for parents to start it off at home and child should have a few days success at home before returning to me where I can continue.
By success I mean, asking to go, being able (with a bit of help) to pull down clothing,happy to sit on toilet/potty, happy to do the buisness , happy to pull up clothing(with a bit of help) and happy to wash hands reasonably independantly.
Carol xx

melco
11-05-2012, 01:51 PM
What do you put in your Potty Training policy?

I have a lo who only turned 2 a couple of months ago and when he was dropped off last week his mum said he will tell me when he needs to go and is starting to use the big toilet. I myself have not seen that, if he does have a poo in his nappy he gets quite embarassed about it and blames it on his younger brother and gets upset when I have to change him.

I did what I did with my own children and kept asking if he needed the toilet but the answer was always no, but also with mine I waited until the summer so that they could run around with no nappy on but he is still wearing nappies so not sure what to do. Any ideas?