PDA

View Full Version : Random temperaure?

EmmaReed84
11-05-2012, 05:20 AM
I had to send mindees home yesterday. They are siblings and Mum dropped off yesterday saying 18 month old had a temp in the night, but no other symptoms and put it down to teeting. I was happy with the explanation so took them both.

During the day neither of them ate a thing which for 18 month old was understandable if she was teething and 3 year old goes through funny phases. However in the afternoon 3 year old had a very high temp and became really unwell. Mum came to collect... but as you would guess, literally the moment Mum arrived he perked up running about :rolleyes:

Just got a text from Mum saying they have really high temps again today and very teary so will not be coming today...

The children have no outwardly visable symptoms IYSWIM, just getting really high temps which is making them poorly? Ideas? Mum is thinking it could be the start of chicken pox?

wendy222
11-05-2012, 05:39 AM
one of my minded came yestarday and mum told me she had high temp in the night but was fine, she was fine with me but when she woke up from her sleep she had high temp and very quiet so dont no if she here 2 day yet she had chicken pox about 2 months back xx

BucksCM
11-05-2012, 06:07 AM
hand foot and mouth is doing the rounds! Just had 9mo with it!

The Juggler
11-05-2012, 06:15 AM
my two would often be like this when toddlers/babies. no apparent reason.

EmmaReed84
11-05-2012, 06:15 AM
hand foot and mouth is doing the rounds! Just had 9mo with it!

Hmmm that is interesting, just read up on it and when I asked mindee where it hurt he pointed to his cheek area. Then he coughed and sort of gagged and tried to stratch his tongue... Hadn't thought of that. I may text Mum in a while to see how he is.

If it turns out to be HFM, the HPA guidance says no exclusion... what would you do in this situation because he did become quite ill with the fever and perked up with medicine... If parent wants to send her child back and I say no, she may read the HPA guidance and say to just give him calpol...

nokidshere
11-05-2012, 10:16 AM
My own son suffered from random temperature spikes from the age of 2 till he was about 7. He had no other symptoms at all but his temp would be very high. If it was during the night and he was fine by morning he would still go to school but with a message to call me if he was unwell at all.

He still gets high temps now sometimes with no apparant reason for them and he is 11.