PDA

View Full Version : MEDICINES, HELP NEEDED PLEASE

silvermist
10-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Morning all, my 9 month old mindee has arrived with a cold this morning.(hes asleep now!) Mum told me she has given calpol this morning and it is written in his home contact book, she's written the time and dose but should I log it somewhere too? I have an ancident/accident book, should I have a medicines book(I do have permission slips if I need to give meds with consent)or do I need to do something else? As always your help is appreciated.:)

AliceK
10-05-2012, 08:33 AM
I've had the same this week, a child arriving and mum telling me she has given Calpol. I make a note of it in my diary but more just for my records to record that the child wasn't well. I don't record it anywhere else unless I have to administer more in which case I can write on the consent form what time the child had a previous dose.

xxx

sarah707
10-05-2012, 08:35 AM
I have some 'emergency permission to administer medication' forms with my register.

If parents come in waving meds they know they have to wait until a form is filled in and signed.

I am training them to tell me the night before so it doesn't slow them down in the morning :laughing:

Hth :D

The Juggler
10-05-2012, 08:37 AM
if parent has written a request into home school book with time THEY gave as well, I'd write up a medication form, stick a copy of the page from home contact book in then get them to sign at pick up.:thumbsup:

silvermist
10-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Mum has said I can give meds if needed and I have permission forms which she would have to sign but I would ring her before I gave it anyway. Sarah, do you have a seperate book for meds, should I note it somewhere or is it ok that its in the home contact book?

silvermist
10-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I do not have a permission form already signed for meds.

Smiley
10-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Page 26 of the welfare requirements states the specific legal requirements and Ofsted have a fact sheet about administering medication

sarah707
10-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Mum has said I can give meds if needed and I have permission forms which she would have to sign but I would ring her before I gave it anyway. Sarah, do you have a seperate book for meds, should I note it somewhere or is it ok that its in the home contact book?

How do you file the medication administration details with the child's paperwork in case of future query.

What would happen if the home contact book was lost / dropped in a puddle / scribbled on by the child and there was a problem in the future?

What would happen if an allegation was made against you that you had overdosed a child... would you have a form specifically signed by parents giving you permission to administer the medication?

Mouse
10-05-2012, 10:29 AM
If a parent asks me to give medication I complete permission form & make a note on there about what time the child last had it, the dose etc.

If they just say that the child has had medicine, but I don't need to give it while the child is with me, I have a sheet of paper in the child's file & I just make a note on there. I put the time, the dose, the medicine, the reason & who gave it (eg. 8am 5ml Calpol given by mum for teething). Each note usually just takes a line on the sheet, but it means I have a record of what was given at home.

silvermist
10-05-2012, 11:07 AM
If a parent asks me to give medication I complete permission form & make a note on there about what time the child last had it, the dose etc.

If they just say that the child has had medicine, but I don't need to give it while the child is with me, I have a sheet of paper in the child's file & I just make a note on there. I put the time, the dose, the medicine, the reason & who gave it (eg. 8am 5ml Calpol given by mum for teething). Each note usually just takes a line on the sheet, but it means I have a record of what was given at home.

Thanks for reply, while he is sleeping I have made a book up for medicines. I have written what dose he had, the time and given by mum at home, I will get her to sign it when she collects. Thank you for advice everyone xx

silvermist
10-05-2012, 11:10 AM
How do you file the medication administration details with the child's paperwork in case of future query.

What would happen if the home contact book was lost / dropped in a puddle / scribbled on by the child and there was a problem in the future?

What would happen if an allegation was made against you that you had overdosed a child... would you have a form specifically signed by parents giving you permission to administer the medication?

Hi Sarah, I do have specific medicine forms which are from childminding matters which I would sign if I was to give medicine. I was more concerned about the fact he'd already had the medicine and where I should put that information. :thumbsup: