PDA

View Full Version : Learning the different types of Mums!

kellsbells
03-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi all, I'm just sharing an experience as a new child minder & asking the exprience of some of the pro child minders ;-)

I just moved beg of May, got my first two mindees about 4 weeks ago, Their mum is a dream, pays on time and in advance even when she has extra hours, the kids are wonderful and everything is going great, I then got a call from another mum who came to visit me for me to mind her two boys, I was very relaxed about it all and after a chat and a coffee, I told her I don't mind being flexible (only wants till July, may want holidays but not sure, but wants guarantee places) and off she went having encourage me to drop my fees, not sign a contract and convincing me that I should take one weeks deposit insted of two! Don't ask me how but after chatting and being friendly it all happened too easily.

So I slept on it, Spoke to my mum and she said that I should get it sorted all today before I started tomorrow otherwise I could be in for a bit of a ride with this mother and that I have to be top of these things and be professional about my business, as If I went into a shop and bought something I couldn't banter about the contract or deposit or cost of something but take the goods!

So I spoke to boy's mum today, told her contract has be signed until July and we will review for the holidays although if a contract isn't signed then a place will not be guaranteed for her boys, it took a lot of pursuading as she wasn't going to sign it until I advised her unless she signs I cannot take on her boys, she eventually signed but not without reading through the contract for an hour advising me that "she doesn't usually sign anything as she doesn't like too" I couldn't do anything about the reduced fees/deposit I had already agreed too so didn't mention that but at least I'm starting tomorrow with one weeks deposit and a contract and have safe guarded myself!

I'm just writing this post for the newbees to be warned as after meeting parents, you get along have a coffee and everything seems great, luckily I saw the light before anything could of happened, which is my fault I know, but as my first mother of my first mindees is so relaxed and good about everything I took it for granted that every other parent would be too.

This new mum even said to me, why do I need a pasword protection? and for you to be introduced to other people collecting them? So I advised for child protection and she said "well my children don't need protecting from their own family" - I think you are all getting the picture.......'Difficult' springs to mind

Be aware! and make sure you are very professional when it comes to starting a child, there are all types of parents out there and this was a lesson learned for me, even if she does turn out to be difficult I think I should be ok as I have the backing of the contract and NCMA and have hopefully safe guarded myself :thumbsup:

If any of the more experienced child minders out there have any further advice for me regarding this parent, please feel free to advise me as I want to make sure I've left no loop holes as I'm sure this won't be the end of the 'drama parent' I have completed child record forms and an "all about me" form for each child and sent the mother my policies by e-mail asking her to sign all permission forms and return them to me.

Kellsbells :D

crazybones
03-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I think you have done really well. I have been caught out in similar ways over the years but I have a lot more confidence since finding this site that my attitude now is "My way or the highway". That being said I do need to fill my upcoming spaces soon and hope I dont grab at something without thinking first. Start as you mean to go on. :thumbsup:

katickles
03-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for that Kellsbells.

Like you said it can be easy to go along with at the time though. I think you have recovered yourself from the situation really well, so well done you.

I can imagine that when i'm interviewing/being interviewed I will remember your thread if they start trying to change the way I run my business.

:)

sarah707
03-06-2008, 07:17 PM
It can be really hard sometimes when you are faced with mothers who try to either change the way you work or tell you how the previous minder / nursery used to run their business and suggest you should do the same.

I think you have done really well with this one, but be on your guard... she might try something else! :rolleyes:

Lou
03-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Great advice hun, only thing i would add is to be firm from the start and dont waver at anytime, ie if she pays late or says she will drop it in do not say oh ok etc.

I have been minding for nearly5 yrs and i have had so many different kinds of parents, in that time though i think i have only ever had 1 parent that has never needed anykind of reminding about paying!!!!!

The ones i have at moment are a mixture, dont get me wrong i always get paid but i have to remind one by text!!!!

angeldelight
03-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I think you did really well

Hope it all goes well with this new parent

It is so easy to get carried away when you are with new parents and you do so want to impress them but your mom is right you are running a business

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the great advice you have given hopefully it will help someone in the future

Angel xxx

kellsbells
03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Thank you, I've just e-mailed her an invoice as she has said she will pay the deposit/fees into my account and I'm starting tomorrow! What would you suggest I do if payment hasn't arrived in my account by tomorrow? she did offer to pay by cheque and wrote it out but I refused as my account takes 5 days to clear.

I have just spent the last hour e-mailing her all my policies (about 20 pages with parental permission slips lol) which I'm sure she will have something to say about as she had plenty to say about just the contract and record book, You'd think parents would be glad you were asking so many questions and making sure everything is just so.....I shall update you all :laughing:

Thanks for all your support
x

kellsbells
03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I've just sent a tex to the mother advising her that I shall check my bank tomorrow for the money but I have to be paid before I start work :D

I don't really care if she gets shirty or if I lose her , I need to be paid before I start eh!

x

deeb66
04-06-2008, 07:43 AM
I've just sent a tex to the mother advising her that I shall check my bank tomorrow for the money but I have to be paid before I start work :D

I don't really care if she gets shirty or if I lose her , I need to be paid before I start eh!

x

I think that is definately sensible.

She sounds like she could be a real big handful :panic:

Hope all goes well

Tatia
04-06-2008, 11:44 AM
How'd it go? Was your money there? Hoe it all turned out. Been doing this job for a long time and you still get people who surprise you!

kellsbells
04-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Nope, still no money in my account and I'm starting tonight 4.45 till 7pm (I rang bank and they advised me it takes 3 working days so she could be telling the truth), I've just e-mailed her and advised her that she either pays me cash tonight upon collection and I will issue her with a credit invoice once monies have deposited into my account otherwise I will not be collecting the children as arranged and that next weeks fees are due on Monday and I want prompt fees in advance to ensure I collect children next Wednesday/ Thursday & Friday.

Do you know what the best bit is her children go to a private school, yet my other mum who is a single parent with two children working part-time makes sure my fees are paid on time and in advance! it's unreal.....

The new mum rang me this morning regarding me e-mailing her the policies and said can you just send me the forms I have to sign as I'm not reading all of the other stuff! I knew she would have something to say! lol

we shall see...and I shall let you know later tonight! :eek:

katickles
04-06-2008, 12:22 PM
:rolleyes: Hope she turns up with some cash then.

I can't believe she wouldn't sign the contracts but now says she'll just sign all the permission forms with out reading them???

kellsbells
04-06-2008, 12:50 PM
I know! Just proves she's out to be difficult, I know when I left my daughter with her child minder I wanted to know everything from what colour undies she was wearing and to whether she smoked dope in the seventies lol

These people make me die! But one of the best things is I'm my own boss and I won't suffer fools gladly, I will see how she goes and if she gets worse I will tell her I have someone who wants to use the spaces in holidays as well as term time once her contract ends! Her contract ends on the 11th July so at least my 'flexibility' error can be used in my favour too. :D

kellsbells
04-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Mum sent me an e-mail saying I'm leaving my kids who are precious to me, why wouldn't I pay you, So I ignored her and she came tonight with the cash lol

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

She said I could give her the cash back once the monies have dropped into my account, which I agreed too.