PDA

View Full Version : Contact with Nurseries

Annabelle
09-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi, I wasn't sure where to put this sorry.

I was wondering whether anyone had any good tips on keeping in contact with nurseries, I've just re-read my Ofsted report and had forgotten this was an area I was supposed to work on :rolleyes:

I have sent a letter (via parents) to the nursery advising them I look after "child" 2 days a week but have heard nothing from them. This was about 5 months ago. I know I should be more pro-active but I also know what nurseries are like...

Any tips on how to keep in contact with them would be most appreciated.

Many thanks
Annabelle

moggy
09-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Give them a ring, say you are working on your 'EYFS working with other care providers' (or how ever it is worded!) as they probably are too... ask for key worker's name, ask if you can be sent (email?) their newsletter (if they do one?). And then see what happens, you will have made a good opening, document it for your own records and then it is up to them to respond. You can't make them cooperate! I am lucky my mindee's playgroup are lovely and send me their newsletters, chat at drop off/pick up and are happy to share info- they even visited mindee at my setting before she started there!

blue bear
09-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I make a little album with lo to take to nursery/preschool to put the pictures in their lj there, the child chooses and takes photos of their favourite things here including art work (parents written permission) I send a little note introducing myself and ask them for photos of lo at preschool to put in lj here.
Once a term when writing summative assessment I write to nursery asking if they want to input to assessment and if they would like to see lj and share theirs too.
Dont always get a response but have had some positive experiences.

Little Pickles
09-05-2012, 08:22 PM
I always get the details of the nursery from parents - I made up a form for parents to fill in - days / hours attending , name of nursery & address, name of key worker etc
I then send an introduction letter to the nursery with a copy in their file. Most nurseries don't respond , I verbally keep updated through parents and child and OFSTED can see that I have made the effort. Some nurseries will share information & LJ's but in my experience only 1 out of 5 nurseries I have written to have responded! And I have never been approached by the nurseries ....

sarah707
09-05-2012, 09:11 PM
I recently had one nursery ask parents to tell me to stop writing to them as they were too busy to respond! :rolleyes:

I now send them stuff and add at the bottom that I understand they are busy but it's sooo important we share blah blah :laughing:

Another isn't too bad - I get the odd nugget of information and write it in the little one's LJ.

Most information I get from the children themselves and use it when I can to complement care :D

Smiley
09-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I also send an introductory letter, then a form with my signature, parents and a place for other settings which gives consent to share information. I also give them an I depth record of transfer and show them child's learning journey. However, I also don't get approached by them and they don't instigate anything, it's always me

Hayley102
10-05-2012, 06:56 AM
I was wondering how to work with day-care nurseries too. I have one child who attends a nursery 1 day a week. I know I need to get in touch but haven't thought how I am going to do that! It is good to hear others experiences and I think I will have a good think about some of the ideas posted here - Thanks

miffy
10-05-2012, 07:03 AM
I've found reactions mixed, sometimes surprise that childminders are doing eyfs :rolleyes: but other times very positive - you need to show Ofsted that you are trying even if your efforts don't seem to be appreciated!

Miffy xx