PDA

View Full Version : Full time Mindees

notts
09-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Following on from another thread, am very interested to see how many of you have full time mindees, say one child/family 4days+ per week and how many of you make up the week by lots of part timers???

handeme
09-05-2012, 06:54 PM
I have a mixture of both x

sharonmanc
09-05-2012, 06:55 PM
I have my one and only mindee who is full time 50 hours per week mon - fri. If i get my varation I will have another full timer 50 hours mon - fri (fingers crossed)

notts
09-05-2012, 06:56 PM
fingers crossed for you sharonmanc :thumbsup:

silvermist
09-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Hiya, I will have one for four days but all the others are part time.:)

muffins
09-05-2012, 07:17 PM
In 7yrs I have only ever had 2 that did 4 days (40hrs) and they were siblings! At the moment I have 5 pre-schoolers who range from 1 -3 days each!:thumbsup:

I think I actually prefer it this way for finance reasons, if 1 leaves your not skint:thumbsup:

Hayley102
09-05-2012, 07:18 PM
I have 1 family with 2 children (one school and one LO) full time - term time only. And 1 other full time LO. My 3rd place for LOs is made up of 2 children - 2 days each.

Chimps Childminding
09-05-2012, 07:22 PM
The maximum I have with LO's is 2 days!!! I have one schoolie who I have 4 mornings and afternoons term time and 3 days in the holidays, but thats the most full time I have had for years!!!

nikki thomson
09-05-2012, 07:29 PM
I've only ever had fulltimers, I don't consider part timers.
They are like part of the family because they spend more time with me than with mum and dad, we have a great relationship.
But at the end of the day it's what works for you, I personally wouldn't want lots of different children it doesn't work for me, all that paper work, oh no.
I do know a few cm who love lots of part timers, each to thee own and all that.

uf353432
09-05-2012, 07:45 PM
My whole business is made up of part time children and I LOVE IT!!!

I have childrens hours ranging from 3 hours a week up to 25 hours a week. I have 9 children in the early years, 3 of which are accredited . I have 14 different after school children. I only have 1 child who comes to me every day (5hrs a day) and the other 8 only come on 1 day of the week, one is soon to come for an extra afternoon.

In 3 years I could count on one hand the number of full time enquiries I have received and still have fingers spare.

No day is the same, the dynamics change every day and I never get bored. I adore all the children, they all adore me and my family and they are still part of the rather large wonderful family I seem to have created.

I do agree that there is a degree of safety in having part time kids - I have 3 leaving in July to start school, i've already filled their spaces from Sept.

silvermist
09-05-2012, 07:52 PM
My whole business is made up of part time children and I LOVE IT!!!

I have childrens hours ranging from 3 hours a week up to 25 hours a week. I have 9 children in the early years, 3 of which are accredited . I have 14 different after school children. I only have 1 child who comes to me every day (5hrs a day) and the other 8 only come on 1 day of the week, one is soon to come for an extra afternoon.

In 3 years I could count on one hand the number of full time enquiries I have received and still have fingers spare.

No day is the same, the dynamics change every day and I never get bored. I adore all the children, they all adore me and my family and they are still part of the rather large wonderful family I seem to have created.

I do agree that there is a degree of safety in having part time kids - I have 3 leaving in July to start school, i've already filled their spaces from Sept.

Wow, thats impressive! You must have a very good reputation. Fantastic news x

uf353432
09-05-2012, 07:57 PM
[/COLOR]

Wow, thats impressive! You must have a very good reputation. Fantastic news x

Thanks! I've worked REALLY hard to get a great reputation locally - not just with familes but with other childminders as well. I run a toddler group and so use that as my shop window as a childminder for parents in the local area to see how well I do my job and how fabulous childminders are. I love my job! The only drawback of part timers as has been pointed out is I do have 9 learning journals - but if you have a good system in place it is very workable.

rickysmiths
09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I've only ever had fulltimers, I don't consider part timers.
They are like part of the family because they spend more time with me than with mum and dad, we have a great relationship.
But at the end of the day it's what works for you, I personally wouldn't want lots of different children it doesn't work for me, all that paper work, oh no.
I do know a few cm who love lots of part timers, each to thee own and all that.

That was me until a year ago. I had 4 full timers 9-10hrs a day each plus 2 before and after school. I had always had full timers and much prefer them.

However they left last year for various reasons, moving away, redundancy. I haven't had one inquiry for a full timer in a year. The most is four days and usual 3 days. I have a combination now, not ideal but no choice. you are very lucky.

blue bear
09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I have never taken on a full timer but have had childrens hours increased to full time. At the moment I have 1 full timer plus older sibling, 9 other eyfs and 6 school aged children. hours range from ad hoc holiday care to 5 hours upto three short days.
I like the variety no two days are the same, sone don't come holidays some are just holidays. When one leaves it does not leave a massive hole in the income.

kellib
09-05-2012, 08:02 PM
I have 2 part timers and one ad hoc child signed up to me, come September I'll have 3 part timers and I've had an enquiry tonight for 2 part timers. I love the part timers as it breaks the week up having different children, think I'd get bored otherwise :blush:

loocyloo
09-05-2012, 08:03 PM
i only work 4 days a week, i have siblings who do 3 full days a week and then my others are either a full day, school hours or 3 X 5hr sessions a week! ( funded )

i have had full timers before and enjoyed that, but i do like the mix of children each day too! although sometimes i find myself doing the same things all week as the children change!

karen m
09-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Over the years i have had a mixture of both,but right now i have 1 over 8 before /after school every day and 2 weeks in summer holidays. 1 lo three days a week before and after pre school till 6,1 older one 2 days after school /holidays and a saturday,1 just 1 day after school and on a saturday

silvermist
09-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks! I've worked REALLY hard to get a great reputation locally - not just with familes but with other childminders as well. I run a toddler group and so use that as my shop window as a childminder for parents in the local area to see how well I do my job and how fabulous childminders are. I love my job! The only drawback of part timers as has been pointed out is I do have 9 learning journals - but if you have a good system in place it is very workable.

I love this job too, even the paperwork!! I know, sad aren't I.:laughing: Im currently aiming to start attending various groups but bit nervous about it, I hate being the new person at places iyswim x

BucksCM
09-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I've always had fulltimers too.
A few are now afterschoolers and one family has reduced days over the 4 years.
I have a 9mo m-th, an 18mo m-th and 5 afterschoolers on different days.
I too, prefer fulltimers. Fewer families to juggle when arranging holidays and time off!

Demonjill
09-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Mine are all part timers and i love that - i personally at the moment would not like full timers - the same kids all week every week i would get bored!:rolleyes:
Mine range from 2 hours - 19 hours so dont have any one kid till im bored :laughing:
The most days any attend is 3 most do 2 days though

Dont know if i would like to spend more time with a child than their parents do - but thats just my feeling.

I can see how full timers are great money wise but ive got 8 kids on my books so for the forseable future touch wood should have some money always coming in. I would be afraid of a full timer leaving

Little Pickles
09-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I have only one full timer the rest are a mixture of 1 day per week , 2 half days per week , or 2 days per week - 7 in total EY's . I had never thought about having more full timers so less LJ's but on reflection I think I like the variety of having different children each day and I am very grateful to be full with a waiting list :clapping:

lozzy23
09-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I have one 2yr old full timer 50 hours per week.

If I get my variation, I will have a 3yr old & 8mth old for 4 days - 40hrs per week (had 3yr old since she was 8mths old). The other two EY children both come 3 days a week.

3 after schoolies, 1 for 5 days a week, 1 for 3 days a week and the other 2 days a week.

mama2three
10-05-2012, 06:42 AM
I wasnt in a position financially to make a choice tbh - if an enquiry came along that I could do I did it! I now have 3 children - two 4 days a week and one 5 days a week. Im the only one of 9 in our village with any full time children - just coincidence i suppose. i worry about when 1 leaves , though I have managed to fill the space of 1 who starts school in sept ( with another full timer)

miffy
10-05-2012, 06:46 AM
I only work three days a week so all mine are part time. Even when I worked more days I never had any full timers, that was my choice - I love having different children and different combinations of children every day.

Miffy xx

TooEarlyForGin?
10-05-2012, 07:33 AM
In 9 years of childminding I have only ever had 1 full timer. But I have pretty much been full with lots of part-timers which I actually enjoy more. When I had the full timer 7.30 - 6.00 I found it much harder to find plenty of things to keep her entertained all week long.

dette
10-05-2012, 09:42 AM
ive got 3 LO at the moment.one 4yr old 55hrs a week ,one 2 yr old 40 hours and a 1 yr 24 hrs over 3 days so quite happy i have 3 under 8 of my own so im full !!!until september.cant decide if i want another mindee or not then.

uf353432
10-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I love this job too, even the paperwork!! I know, sad aren't I.:laughing: Im currently aiming to start attending various groups but bit nervous about it, I hate being the new person at places iyswim x

Just remember you are only the new girl for the first session - then next week you are an old pro :)

mum2two
10-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Working with hubby we can have 5 and all of them are full time. 3 are 5 days and 2 are days a week.

2 leave for school in Sept and we've already filled their spaces - one with 5 days and the other is 4 (although she e-mailed today saying it will now probably be 5).

For me part timers don't work, as if one leaves we've been left with an awkward space to fill.

xx

Vickster
10-05-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't work full time, I work three days and have three each doing two days.

fluff1975
10-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I work a 4 day week and have one child every day, one for just 2 days and another for 1 half day.

I've had loads of requests for full time and part time which is nice, but I won't take on any more at the moment. I feel I'm at 'my' capacity.

hullabaloo
10-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Over the past 12 years i have only had full timers. I think i would stuggle with all part timers, all those families to organise holidays !! My cm friend has only ever filled her spaces with part timers. I guess what ever works for you, and also taking whatever work comes along !

samb
10-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I have only part time and prefer that - although I have never even had an enquiry for a full timer.

I have 3yr old x25 hours; 2 yr oldx12.5hrs; almost 1yr old x27hrs plus a holidays only 6yroldx 18hrs.

caz3007
10-05-2012, 10:23 PM
In 7 years they were all part timers up until last year when I got a 4 day a week Lo, she is now 5 days. The rest are part timers. Its my area though as think more mums do part time round here or the wages arent so good so they get help from grandparents too

uf353432
10-05-2012, 10:28 PM
In 7 years they were all part timers up until last year when I got a 4 day a week Lo, she is now 5 days. The rest are part timers. Its my area though as think more mums do part time round here or the wages arent so good so they get help from grandparents too

Yes thats how it is where I am - mums working part time and then grandparents helping out as well. I have one child 1 full day - mum works 3 full days and child goes to grandparents on the other 2 days. It works though and everyone is happy.

Helen Dempster
11-05-2012, 07:03 AM
I have one full timer - 55 hours per week. Then I have 2 part timers (half days) and 2 after schoolies.

singingcactus
11-05-2012, 07:27 AM
All my kids come every day. Some just before school, some just after. My EY kids one is very full time 50 hours a week, one I would guess would be classed as full time, he is 7 hours a day, one is here during the middle part of the day variable hours.
My 50 hour a week boy leaves in sept/oct and I was planning on keeping the space open, or taking on a very part time child, but another 50 hour a week child has asked for the space...so another full timer for me.
I like part timers, but seem to be full with full timers all the time. Good job my kids are awesome :)

JCrakers
11-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I have only 1 full timer

3yr old Mon-thurs 8-6 (full time)
2 yr old Mon/Tue/Weds 9-3pm (part time)
2yr old Thur/Fri 9-4pm (part time)
1yr old Thur/Fri 8-6 (part time)
4 yr old Thur/Fri 3-6pm (part time)

Then I make up my day with between 3-6 schoolies

nipper
11-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I wasnt in a position financially to make a choice tbh - if an enquiry came along that I could do I did it! I now have 3 children - two 4 days a week and one 5 days a week. Im the only one of 9 in our village with any full time children - just coincidence i suppose. i worry about when 1 leaves , though I have managed to fill the space of 1 who starts school in sept ( with another full timer)

I'm in pretty much a similar position to you. I have one fulltimer x 4 days, one x three days, one x two and a baby floater who alternated between three and four days a week, although mum is always asking for extra days.
When I first started, financially I was struggling so couldn't really afford to be choosy. Wow there are nine childminders in your village...that's impressive!

edayhouse
11-05-2012, 11:09 AM
I have got one f/t - 5 days per week
1 p/t - 2 days per week
3 p/t - 3 days per week (siblings)
1 x after schoolie 3 x per week

Not sure which I prefer, probably the variation that part timers gives you