PDA

View Full Version : No more variations???

09-05-2012, 11:19 AM
I am sure I have read about this somewhere and today I heard another childminder talking about it......is it true that from September when the new EYFS comes into force, we will no longer have to apply to Ofsted for variations????

Tazmin68
09-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Hi

I did call Ofsted with that question. In a nutshell the answer is yes there will be no requirement for variations as we will be expected to risk assessment the reason for the increase so that should someone report a childminder to Ofsted we have the evidence that we have RA the implications of increasing a child in a particular age group

09-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Oh wow!!!! Well if this is the case how does that affect numbers? How many would be allowed in the early age group? Not that I'm planning on having many more than what I've got now lol :panic: Plus do we just need to display our original Ofsted certificate and not get an updated one with new numbers on?? I don't think this has been made clear at all

blue bear
09-05-2012, 02:53 PM
We will get new certificates. As it stands we will need to stay within tge numbers allowed to the space in your house. So a standard would be 6 under 8 of which no more than 3 can be under 5 and 1 under 1. There is an allowance to have 2 under 1 for sibling babies but it's not very clear but no where does it states we can go over 3 under 5 except for school children who are four and full time. Ofsted are going to issue guidance on numbers in the summer.

mum2two
09-05-2012, 03:08 PM
This just seems all a bit to easy for minders to be over numbers whenever they want. And if we're not allowed to increase from 3 under 5, wonder what will happen in situations where parents jobs change, another baby comes along etc.... :rolleyes:

xx

AliceK
09-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Around this time next year I will need 5 under 5's and that's with me getting rid of 1 (this is due to current mindees mums having babies) and I don't think I stand a cat in hells chance of having that granted :panic: I have no idea what I'm going to do?

xxx

mum2two
09-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Well - by the sounds of it, you'll just need to risk assess and then grant it to yourself!! :laughing:

xx

Tazmin68
09-05-2012, 04:38 PM
In a situation that you would request a variation you will need to ra and have them to hand should ofsted visit. The new certificate will state eg 6 children under 8 years, 3 in the early years bracket but may increase on this for continuity of care sinarios as long as do not exceed the total of 6 children. It would really stupid to try and get away with 5 or 6 children in the ey bracket.

mum2two
09-05-2012, 04:51 PM
It would really stupid to try and get away with 5 or 6 children in the ey bracket.

I wasn't suggesting doing it. It's just how the new EYFS reads, and I can already see some minders trying it on.... :rolleyes:

xx

AliceK
09-05-2012, 05:11 PM
In a situation that you would request a variation you will need to ra and have them to hand should ofsted visit. The new certificate will state eg 6 children under 8 years, 3 in the early years bracket but may increase on this for continuity of care sinarios as long as do not exceed the total of 6 children. It would really stupid to try and get away with 5 or 6 children in the ey bracket.

All my schoolies will be going in order for me to keep to my 6 under 8's but I really don't want to have to get rid of any of my LO's families. The ages will be 2 x 19mths, 1 x 3yr, 1 x 4yr and 1 x 7mth. The thing is it will only be 5 on some days of the week, the other days it will only be 3. I'm going to worry about it later this year when everything is clarified and we know exactly how this is going to work.

xxxx

hello kitty
09-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Around this time next year I will need 5 under 5's and that's with me getting rid of 1 (this is due to current mindees mums having babies) and I don't think I stand a cat in hells chance of having that granted :panic: I have no idea what I'm going to do?

xxx

I had a variation for 5 under 5 for 3 afternoons a week. It is possible. ;)

AliceK
09-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I had a variation for 5 under 5 for 3 afternoons a week. It is possible. ;)

Thank you. That gives me some hope :thumbsup:

xxx

blue bear
09-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Where did you get this information from? When I contacted ofsted via e mail for clarification they said the new eyfs reads we can not exceed 3 under 5 unless child is 4 in full time education. Variations for continuation of care is not mentioned in the new eyes, except for sibling babies but then that only refers to 2 under 1. I was told to contact dfe for further clarification but have not yet had a response.

sarah707
09-05-2012, 08:49 PM
I understand from Ofsted that there will be further clarification to the requirements... so anything we say now is just speculation.

Hopefully it will be sorted before September :D