PDA

View Full Version : getting that 1st client!

notts
09-05-2012, 07:46 AM
ok so I'm held off with the lurgy (chickenpox/impetigo - yuk, yuk, yuk!) so I've ground to a halt. regardless before this I've been advertsiing a little on my car, 150 door drops, couple of posters and childcare.co.uk membership and so far.... jot!

How did your first clients come about? am I missing the boat? or has everyone possibly heard we have the lurgy hahahahaha!

Milli147
09-05-2012, 07:59 AM
All of mine have been through word of mouth - a friend at school telling another mum I'd just registered was Mindee No.1, No.s 2, 3 & 4 were both passed to me via enquiries to other minders I'd got to know, and No.5 was a friend of a friend! I still have them all over 2 years later.
The only thing I won't do is mind a friends child...too many horror stories!

kel1983
09-05-2012, 08:07 AM
I just kept sending messages to families advbertising on childcare website. I got my fiirst 2 through the site. Getting the frst was a slow process though. I dont have any children of my own so felt like I had to prove I was capable of caring for a child.

1.5 years down the road and I now work alongside my mum who is also a childminder and we are pretty much full with atleast 13 children now over various days. 50% have been through the FIS or local council website, 49% work of mouth and 1% through the childcare website.

notts
09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
The only thing I won't do is mind a friends child...too many horror stories!

Interesting!!!! I have to start another post :)

loocyloo
09-05-2012, 12:49 PM
when i first registered 9/10 years ago my mindees came through the FIS, and then word of mouth.

i moved 12 mths ago, and took 5mths to get first mindee. mindees mum is a mum from school/was a neighbour and ran toddlers! i was then recommended by my DO for some respite care over the holidays. my other mindees came from seeing me on childcare.co.uk, but googling to find my details! FIS and word of mouth. i went round all the local toddler groups, giving out fliers/business cards and staying and playing with the children/chatting to parents/helping with teas! everywhere i went i wore my 'childminder' fleece and left business cards/fliers! local shops/notice boards/local halls/library/church. i spoke to the HV, and local school. i also volunteer at school and now LOTS of the children know me and say hello! i contacted local childminders to say hello as well. ( but they are very few and far between here! ) although i am as full as i can be with LO, i still tell everyone i meet what i do! and now that i have mindees we are out and about everywhere and everyone knows us! :blush:

Tatjana
09-05-2012, 08:33 PM
My first client found me through my own advert in a shop window, the second through netmums.

Since then: my adverts in shop windows, childcare.co.uk and a mum watching me at the childrens centre we go to and then approached me.