PDA

View Full Version : I can see complaints arising....

LittleLegsCM
09-05-2012, 06:29 AM
... From my neighbours!!!

I have 2 brothers that arrive her at 7am every morning, 9 & 2year old, and it amazes me how they can make so much noise between them!!

I normally let them play while I prepare breakfast but I spend more time goin back & forth just to ask them to calm down a bit. I'm not stupid or naive, I know they're going to make noise, they're kids after all, but these takes it to excessive levels screaming at each other, banging toys on the floor, other toys etc. they make more noise between them than all my other children can together!!

Anyways enough of my waffling, would it be really mean of me and evil CM type if I cut off the playroom first thing in the morning?? Does anyone else do this? Am I being completely unreasonable by even thinking of doing it?!

boxtree7
09-05-2012, 06:31 AM
I got the same problem I feel by the time 8.00 comes I have done a days work. What can they do instead of going into playroom.

kindredspirits
09-05-2012, 06:35 AM
i would guess that the 9 year old is geeing up the 2 year old?? at 9 he should know better. explain to parents that you will be unable to continue starting work at that hour unless he is able to control himself - you will provide books/pens and the tv from 7-8am and a small selection of toddler toys for the 2 year old.
i don't have shouting or screaming in the house at all - its not (or hasn't in the past) been fair on my neighbours - quite frankly if you'd like to send them over to mine for a few weeks i'd be happy to disturb my new neighbour who is the worlds most inconsiderate DIYer and who i'd quite happily string up from his gentlemans piece after 6 months of constant banging on my walls i am really to pull my hair out.

miffy
09-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Could you have them in the kitchen with you whilst you prepare breakfast?

If not then I'd split them up, 2 year old with you, older one in playroom but I'd also work on the not screaming/shouting in the house - 9 year old is old enough to respect that.

Miffy xx

butterfly
09-05-2012, 06:40 AM
I have the same problem - two brothers arriving at 7am (7 and 4). My problem is that they come screaming across the road with the mother shouting behind them.

I've warned the parent on several occassions that this is unacceptable. I've told white lies saying that neighbours have omplained and that if it happens again I run the risk of the council saying I can't work so early. Mum is so worried she wont be able to drop off at 7 that the warning works for about a week and then i have to remind them again.

In the house I only allow a limited number of activities as I have my own dh and children asleep at that time. colouring, tv, books, puzzles nothing else.

LittleLegsCM
09-05-2012, 06:55 AM
The 2 year old doesn't need any encouragement at all he can be a menace at the best of times lol but yeah the 9 year old doesn't really help the matter!

I have an extra large arts & crafts cupboard full to the brim and the 9yo does enjoy colouring so I think tomorrow I'll get the colouring books, paper and pencils out, a few cars and bits for the 2yo and shut off the playroo until at least 8am (or until we leave for school run if I can get away with it :p lol) Just to test for now, see if it makes a difference.

My little boy and husband normally stay upstairs until 8ish getting ready for the day & stuff but a few times he's come running down to make sure I'm ok and not pulled my hair out lol x

onceinabluemoon
09-05-2012, 07:07 AM
I can't shut off my playroom as it's our main downstairs room, but I have a 'no noisy toys before school' rule and this goes for shouting and banging too. My mindees are younger than yours so if mine can understand it then yours should be able to.

What about using a non verbal noise of some type (e.g. a timer which you can just set for a few seconds or a buzzer or bell) which you can click so they hear it and regulate themselves (obviously you'd have to press it but you wouldn't have to keep telling them off). Would this work?

Other than that then yes shut off the playroom, and offer quieter activities. It's not as if you haven't tried other ways first and the 9 YO is quite old enough to understand to keep the noise down (I presume he has no additional needs?).

Hope you have a better day :)