PDA

View Full Version : Those of you who have mindees sleeping outside

Trpta108
09-05-2012, 06:22 AM
When new parents visit, do you ask if they are ok with sleeping outside or do you just say that this is how you do it?

butterfly
09-05-2012, 06:28 AM
I only have mindees sleeping outside when the weather is lovely and have only done this very occassionally.

I ask new parents where they would prefer their child to sleep eg cot, buggy and would def ask them if outside was an option.

I believe in being very upfront and honest from the start - I gain permissions for everything to cover me later on!

gegele
09-05-2012, 06:44 AM
I don't make a point of saying it as it's not the main sleeping arangement. I leave the children asleep in buggy if they fell asleep when out but i would only put a child to sleep in buggy if sleeping time too close to school run and try to not wake up child.
I do explain that to the parent when we talk about sleep. they're usually happy with it

just edited this because your post sounds like the the children would always sleep outside. If it's the case you have to tell parents.

Trpta108
09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I guess my question doesn't sound right. I am a firm 'believer' in children sleeping outside, so my question was not do I tell parents or not, of course they need to know, but if I should say 'Would you be happy for your child to nap outside?' or 'I always put children to sleep outside', as in give them the option or 'this is my business and this is what I do.' Just wondered what other 'believers' do?:)

butterfly
09-05-2012, 10:56 AM
I suppose it depends on how much of a 'believer' you are ie would you be happy for parents not to use you because of it? or would you let a child sleep inside if that's what the parent wanted?

On points like that I stand firm and say 'this is what I believe in and this is what you will get if you come here' therefore making it a positive selling point. Some parents will agree with you and therefore be over the moon that that is what you offer but you will have to accept that some parents wont like it and therefore will choose not to use you.

If you decide that's what you want to stick to i would make it very clear on all my advertising stuff - sell it as a USP!

butterfly
09-05-2012, 11:13 AM
also be prepared to explain to people why you believe it's the best thing and show parents what safety precautions you have in place concerning this

gigglinggoblin
09-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Since we got burgled a few weeks ago I dont think I would put children outside to sleep unless I was with them all the time. Someone got over out 5 1/2 foot wall with the wire round the top for the plants to grow up and I no longer consider our garden that secure. It depends on what you have of course but I thought our garden was pretty safe. I would risk assess it to within an inch of its life if you cant watch the kids all the time and really you cant guarantee you can do so. As a parent if you werent willing to accomodate my preference I probably would look else where, I think you have to be prepared for a fair few people to do that. I do agree kids sleep better outside and its a lovely idea.

mushpea
09-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I dont actutaly tell parents incase they ask,, not because I dont want them to know but it dosent really occur to me,, I do let mine sleep outside , if its raining I wouldnt go and put them out there but if we come back from a walk in the rain and they are asleep I wouldnt bring them in, same in the cold,, if they are wrapped up and warm when they are out and fall asleep I wouldnt want to bring them in as you either wake them as you strip coats and blankets off or you leave them on and they get far too hot.
Anyway if parents ask then I tell them how it works if not I dont bother after all if they were that fussed where their child sleeps I am sure they would ask