PDA

View Full Version : One hour per day outside!

butterfly
08-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I am rubbish with regards to outdoor play even though I absolutely know the benefits and am cross with myself every day we don't go outside!

However from here I am starting a fresh and plan to have at least an hour outside every day! With my very tinies (who can't stand) do you think a walk around in the buggy would be OK? I'm just thinking if it's very wet it's not partiularly nice for them to be crawling about on wet grass even with waterproofs on. I would let them go out in the wet sometimes but wonder if a walk in the buggy would also constitute on some days?

What do you think?

francinejayne
08-05-2012, 12:54 PM
we go outside lots - the children are so used to it now it is part of our routine - only on the days with the extremest of weather do we not venture outside. I have waterproof suits for crawlers to wear, and I have virtually every size of wellies up to my son's current size as I've kept all his old ones. as long as we have a change of clothes available then we go outside - I'd say go for it! it makes me feel much better after being outside in the fresh air.

if it is so wet you don't want the pre-walkers crawling about then I guess a walk in the pram is a good idea, they are getting fresh air, even though they won't be getting any exercise.

JulieA
08-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Definately.

Don't forget even something as mundane as the school run counts as time outside, and you can make it really interesting for the older ones. Maybe get them to create a map, or make a map stick - collect a twig and using coloured string tie on things of interest that the children find on the way, ask them to recall at the end of the day or return journey (obviously you need to factor in the extra time it will take to get to school!). Take some photos of things on the journey and get the children to look for them. Have a shape/number or colour hunt on the way.

Younger ones in the buggy will still benefit from being outside in the fresh air, and will be fascinated by clouds, trees, dogs as well as the older children.

Playmate
08-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm rubbish too :blush:

I hate being outside in the wet because it causes my joints to stiffen, however like you I'm trying to make an effort. My problem is the children don't like it either. Last week I got them all togged up in wetsuits and wellies to do waterplay in the rain. The activity last 10 mins and then they were complaining they were cold and wanted to go in. This morning we drove to a park (don't have any within walking distance) it was better, but everything was so slippy :panic:

in regard to the littlies I probably would walk them in the buggy. Mine are all walking and hate being in buggies, but not capable of walking the distance I need them to in order to get them anywhere!

Lets just hope the rain gives over soon and we get some nice sunshine :D

The Juggler
08-05-2012, 01:05 PM
park in the fresh air in a buggy fine but if you are in the garden hon, invest in some all in one splashsuits so they can crawl around with out getting too dirty :thumbsup:

mummyof3
08-05-2012, 01:10 PM
I had a parent complain that I spent too much time outside and her little one was getting too dirty every day :laughing:

I bought a set of clothes from the charity shop and let him crawl around having fun then got him changed when he went home. ;)

Little Pickles
08-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Nevermind the kids ...I need to get outside for an hour each day !!!:laughing:
What better therapy when dealing with teething babies than to pop them into the cosy buggy and off we go !

lisa1968
08-05-2012, 07:44 PM
I take a lot of my 'inside' toys outside....Duplo,garage and cars,dolls house-all plastic so it doesnt matter if they get wet.
Definitely get some waterproofs for the crawlers-try ebay for 2nd hand ones-if your crawlers are anything like mine,theres no way theyll stay in a pushchair while the others are charging around!!

loocyloo
08-05-2012, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=lisa1968;1096652]I take a lot of my 'inside' toys outside....Duplo,garage and cars,dolls house-all plastic so it doesnt matter if they get wet.
QUOTE]

:blush: i got some especially for outdoors, that live outdoors as i didn't want them getting lost, or all muddy and coming back in!

mushpea
08-05-2012, 08:29 PM
mine all go outside,, I havent got any crawlers at the moment but when baby starts crawling I will just put her in suit and she can join us,, I also take the babys for walks in the pram with the dog and to get them to sleep, mine all sleep in prams in the garden aswell, wrapped up warmly of course.

jadavi
08-05-2012, 08:37 PM
which all in ones do you recommend?
Most on ebay seem to be for age 4....

The Juggler
08-05-2012, 09:31 PM
which all in ones do you recommend?
Most on ebay seem to be for age 4....

the regatta splashuits are fab. try e-bay or waterproofworld.co.uk :thumbsup: