PDA

View Full Version : Feeding/sleeping problems with 18mth old

butterfly
08-05-2012, 11:41 AM
I've cared for this particular 18mth old since she was 9mths. She's always been whingy and her parents have always known this but she really is staring to worry me now.

Basically she arrives at 9am and by 9.30 is screaming 'bed' at me and whinging by the stair gate. If I take her up to bed she screams for about 20 mins and then goes to sleep for about 2 hours waking around lunchtime. At this point I try and give her lunch but she won't eat ANYTHING! I've talked about this with her parents but they don't seem overly concerned saying things like 'oh you are a monkey' and admitting that at home she'll only eat cake and crisps :eek:

She will literally throw her food on the floor or push away the plate and keep saying 'out' wanting to et out of the highchair. I make her wait until we've all finished by which time she's screaming and shouting 'bed' again. She is actually tired not just putting it on as she's having difficulty holding up her head and is rubbing her eyes.

She'll then go back to bed for another 2 hours waking just in time for about 20 mins play before we do the school run. During this 20 mins and throughout the school run's she's perfectly happy and then dad comes to collect. So in a 7 hour day with me I would estmate that she's actually happy for 1 hour max :(

She will drink milk (she has aptimal follow on) but will only have it from a bottle not a cup or beaker. The last two weeks I've tried giving her the milk in a beaker and holding fast during her whinges but in the end I feel bad because that's the only nutrition she has all day!

Her nappies still resemble baby nappies always dirty (yellowy and runny) because her basic diet is still milk!

I don't know what to do. I feel like i'm not doing enough for her but i can't think what else to try. I've tried all sorts of food (finger food and off a spoon, hot and cold) nothing works!

I think she's sleeping so much because she doesn't have any energy.

I tried talking to her parents but they know exactly what she's like and don't seem to know what to do either. Her mum's a nurse and does understand about nutrition etc.

What would you guys do?

Baildon bears
08-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Ow dear, I have had a little think of how I would deal with the situation, The only thing I can think of is too break her routine, to do this I would take her out in the morning to stop her having sleeping, take her to a soft play or to the park where she can get lot lots of fresh air and hopefully build up an appetite. For food, may be take lunch out for a change try giving it her a bit early say about 11.30am before the others have their lunch so as she has plenty of time, I would put her down for a sleep in afternoon. If all else fails, I would suggest to parents they need to speak to the health visiter, the amount of food would not overly worry me, but the need to sleep so much would.

nipper
08-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Crikey, you say she will sleep in the travel cot for two hours of a morning if you let her? What would happen if say like Baildon Bears suggested and take her to the local park or just out for a walk in the pushchair? Would she be likely to fall asleep then? Do you care for any other children at the same time as her?
I would be inclined to try and break this routine as it is something she has learned to do and has control of.
As for the milk, I think she needs to be on cows milk doesn't she?
Good luck!

butterfly
08-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Crikey, you say she will sleep in the travel cot for two hours of a morning if you let her? What would happen if say like Baildon Bears suggested and take her to the local park or just out for a walk in the pushchair? Would she be likely to fall asleep then? Do you care for any other children at the same time as her?
I would be inclined to try and break this routine as it is something she has learned to do and has control of.
As for the milk, I think she needs to be on cows milk doesn't she?
Good luck!

If she was my child yes I'd definitely have her on cow's milk, from a beaker! The Aptimal tub says she should only have 2 x 5oz per day. She would guzzle it like a 3mth old given the chance!

Breaking her routine is a good idea. She's here two days per week and I care for the same other child on both those days too. The other one's only 11mths and is in the process of pushing her two sleeps into one currently going down at 11am but it keeps going back a bit so in a couple of months it will just be after lunch. I could take them both out for a walk between 9.30-11 and then have an earlier lunch.

Unfortunately her next day is fri when I have the children's centre teacher coming out for my annual review :( Next week we'll start a new routine and see if that helps!

nipper
08-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Sometimes it's easier if you look after other children just to 'modify' the routine a tad.
Best of luck.

The Juggler
08-05-2012, 01:04 PM
i would speak to the parents hon. They need to be made aware that it's important she eat a varied diet at her age and NOT to eat just cake and crisps and milk.

I would suggest they perhaps see a HV for advice.

On the sleeping I agree with the others, take her out in the morning. if she drops off fine but she will likely wake when you get to where you are going and no worries if she doesnt.

I'm not surprised she is tired and lethargic with her diet but in addition if she tends to rule the roost at home with food it's likely she does with bedtime/sleeping too so she may just be sleep exhausted.

I'd deal with teh food issues first and then for now let her sleep as much as she needs and tackle this issue later. :)

VeggieSausage
08-05-2012, 01:25 PM
I would keep her awake in the morning and no mid morning snack but an early lunch followed by a long snooze and try and get her in a good routine with you....sounds like she may be holding out for crisps and cake and not sleeping at night at home either :(