PDA

View Full Version : New shoes for a one year old...trainers from asda

nipper
08-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Well, it doesn't take much to surprise me these days...
mindee aged nearly one is just about standing up but not yet ready to cruise.

Mum says 'oh we went to B&Q yesterday and we got her some new shoes', so i reply 'builders boots were they?', 'no, we went and got her some trainers from asda.'

:panic:

Zoomie
08-05-2012, 11:07 AM
What is wrong with trainers from Asda ?

nipper
08-05-2012, 11:14 AM
For a baby about to begin walking?
Well, apart from the fact that a baby's delicate bones in the feet are so tiny and need the proper support from a professionally fitted pair of shoes, with a soft sole not a clumpy trainer type shoe...just my humble opinion so don't shoot me down in flames lol.

BucksCM
08-05-2012, 11:19 AM
For a baby about to begin walking?
Well, apart from the fact that a baby's delicate bones in the feet are so tiny and need the proper support from a professionally fitted pair of shoes, with a soft sole not a clumpy trainer type shoe...just my humble opinion so don't shoot me down in flames lol.

no shooting going on here!!
Babies shouldn't really have fitted shoes until they have been walking confidently for about 4-6 weeks. Before this they can wear soft booties.
I too, would be alarmed, like you, and I would also say something to the parent about it too.

onceinabluemoon
08-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Some parents cannot afford £30 a go for a pair of shoes that are only guaranteed to fit for 6 weeks.

I wouldn't buy my kids trainers at that age but I had different priorities, doesn't mean they are right...

snufflepuff
08-05-2012, 11:32 AM
At least they are brand new, one of my mindees used to have second hand shoes- usually from charity shops, car boots etc. They would have moulded to the previous owners foot, which is not good for the soft bones in a child's foot.... not to mention the fact that when Mum bought them they were always really worn and often quite smelly! (Of course Mum's clothes and shoes were always brand new!!)

LOOPYLISA
08-05-2012, 11:58 AM
My dd didnt have specific walking shoes shes 14 now and has lovely feet x

I agree i couldnt have bought £30+ shoes every few weeks :thumbsup:

caz3007
08-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Some parents cannot afford £30 a go for a pair of shoes that are only guaranteed to fit for 6 weeks.

I wouldn't buy my kids trainers at that age but I had different priorities, doesn't mean they are right...

I agree, my son always had Clarkes, but I must admit my older children didnt as just couldnt afford it then. He is 9 now and only recently has had cheaper trainers, but his school shoes are still Clarkes. Mind you he didnt have shoes until he was properly walking

Perhaps the parents cant afford. Several of my mindies never have had Clarkes, always trainers that are named or from supermarkets, but in my view that is their parents choice, as long as they had shoes that fitted ok and werent too small, then thats fine

Baildon bears
08-05-2012, 12:03 PM
At least they are brand new, one of my mindees used to have second hand shoes- usually from charity shops, car boots etc. They would have moulded to the previous owners foot, which is not good for the soft bones in a child's foot.... not to mention the fact that when Mum bought them they were always really worn and often quite smelly! (Of course Mum's clothes and shoes were always brand new!!)

I have also had these kind of problems, I rememeber last year mum sending mindee in crocs that were far too big, nightmare getting to school and back, they kept flying off her feet:laughing:, I had a word that night, she never came i them again, I expect they may fit now.:D.

LOOPYLISA
08-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Ewwww crocs :laughing:

Mouse
08-05-2012, 12:21 PM
I have a thing about children not being in shoes until they really need to be (ie. they are walking everywhere outside). Even in the garden I have them just in socks.

If parents send their babies in shoes that I don't think are appropriate, I leave them off all day & only put them back on at hometime.

little chickee
08-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Shoes are not needed to support feet and ankles at any stage of a child development. Shoes are purely to protect the feet from the ground - stones, glass etc and from the elements, rain, snow etc.

Its a complete myth that shoes are needed for support.

It is preferable for a child to be barefoot as much as possible - its the natural way.

And although it may not be your choice to buy cheap shoes from Asda i don't think it is our place to judge others who do.

Each to their own.

Bridey
08-05-2012, 12:44 PM
She''ll be cramming her feet into high heels and wrecking them herself before long! :rolleyes:

nipper
08-05-2012, 12:50 PM
:laughing:

LOOPYLISA
08-05-2012, 12:51 PM
She''ll be cramming her feet into high heels and wrecking them herself before long! :rolleyes:

My dd ?

Not likely, one thing me and her stepdad won't let her wear, do what she likes when shes 18 :p

Velleity
08-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm having shoe issues with parents too.

One year old walking quite well now, in soft booties with laces that keep coming undone. Feel bad to nag Mum about going to get some fitted shoes because I know they are expensive however the child can't walk in the ones she has, especially outdoors.

Two year old wearing boots that are at least a width too wide and two sizes too long. They are like boats on him and I have to pull the straps as far across as they will go to give him a chance of walking in them. Before this he came in shoes that were broken open at the front - sole coming away from rest of shoe, before that were the shoes that were so broken that he was walking on a piece of metal bar and before that a pair of shoes that literally fell off his feet every time he tried to run. Tired of nagging this parent to buy something decent for him.

caz3007
08-05-2012, 01:04 PM
One of LOs has a pair of boots with pointy toes, she is just 2 and has these for a while. They lace all the way up and remind me of a wild west bar girls shoes and should be worn with fishnets :laughing: The also have a heel and have now said to mum that they arent appropriate for toddler group as she keeps falling over in them. Havent seen them since but if they appear again the come straight off and she can wear her wellies when we go out

PixiePetal
08-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I have a thing about children not being in shoes until they really need to be (ie. they are walking everywhere outside). Even in the garden I have them just in socks.

If parents send their babies in shoes that I don't think are appropriate, I leave them off all day & only put them back on at hometime.

Me too - if they are just starting to walk, most of the day will be shoe free especially indoors.

Shoes were the one thing I did pay out for with my own kids - I cut back on clothes by shopping in ASDA/catalogues etc and sales. A fitted pair of Clarks Doodles were cheaper for the dry months (if we get any now!) and wellies for the rain then fitted shoes as they needed them.

My sons first shoes were size 5H at 13months, no way was I squashing his wide feet in a standard width pair. He still has wide feet but at 15 yrs old they are now a size 12 :eek: His last pair of school shoes cost me £75 :( but have lasted the school year :thumbsup:

Little Pickles
08-05-2012, 01:10 PM
I am so glad its not just me who has issues with shoes on LO's !! I remove all shoes when they come into the house( - not because I am house proud believe me my house is lived in!!!) but shoes are not needed in the house. I also raise an eyebrow to myself when parents turn up and proudly show me a pair of branded trainers that haven't been properly fitted or a second hand pair from older sibling or cousin. I find its a really hard one to discuss as its a fine line between interfering too much and just letting them get on with it . I really only discuss with parents if they ask my opinion or if the shoes are causing problems like falling over .
And don't even get me started on when shoes come off in the buggy and I have to retrace the whole route to find shoes!!!!!:laughing:

mummyof3
08-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Well, it doesn't take much to surprise me these days...
mindee aged nearly one is just about standing up but not yet ready to cruise.

Mum says 'oh we went to B&Q yesterday and we got her some new shoes', so i reply 'builders boots were they?', 'no, we went and got her some trainers from asda.'

:panic:

I had same problem little one could only just stand up and they put him in a pair of hand me down trainers with a hard heavy sole and 2 sizes too big!! Everytime he arrived they were removed and he had bare feet so he could learn to walk with ease! This little one has taken so long to walk and I think this is down to the ridiculous footwear he has on!

loocyloo
08-05-2012, 01:20 PM
i have one LO who comes in second hand shoes, she must have 2 pairs for every day, BUT each and every pair is at least a size too big & often too wide. and despite this, mum can't or won't provide a pair of wellies!

my children have an inset day on the day that i have this mindee ... and DD needs some new shoes, not because they don't fit, but because she had worn the heel down :rolleyes: but she has had them since october! so i think i might do a massed foot measuring session at the show shop!

VeggieSausage
08-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I have never gone in for fitted shoes for any of my children apart from school shoes because they last longer than ones I have bought elsewhere and all of them have perfectly good feet, don't see an issue with asda trainers at all....even if not in them all day as still just beginning to walk it is very handy for a parent to provide something for this weather when you are holding their hands to walk around on wet, muddy grass.....

Playmate
08-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Thats me too :thumbsup:

boxtree7
08-05-2012, 01:32 PM
I left my son without shoes until he was 18 months - even now he goes around with socks - It was other peoples comments that made me buy him some shoes.
He started to walk at 11 months.

QualityCare
08-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Both of my boys didn't walk until they were 17mths and didn,t have shoes until they were 2yrs at home they were bare foot all the time and only wore the shoes (clarks) if we went any where that required them to be wearing them, when it was cold and we went out they wore tights under their trousers to stop them pulling them off. even now at 17 and 19yrs they still prefer bare feet.

nikki thomson
08-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi, I wouldn't do it but you know each to there own and all that, some people just don't think about properly fitted shoes it's not important.
I nannyed for many years for a chiropodist and his biggest issue was children who did not yet walk wearing shoes, he said they shouldn't even have socks on, so when I use to visit with my children when they were babies I use to take there shoes off before going so he didn't nag me,lol.
Also growing up me and my brother and sister had absolutely nothing we were very very poor but we always had clarks shoes on our feet, my mum use to save her penny's in a jar so she could buy them.

LOOPYLISA
08-05-2012, 02:19 PM
I think the reason being my dd never had clarks or startright shoes regularly is the first couple of pairs i bought for her fell apart :eek: i did like their doodles? do they still do them?

I must have had no shoes or socks when i was younger as i love being bare foot now :thumbsup:

ziggy
08-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I always bought my children clarkes shoes thinking i was doing the right thing. But now at the grand old age of 33 my son has awful feet so it makes me wonder if the expense was worth it.

Monkey26
08-05-2012, 04:21 PM
i have one LO who comes in second hand shoes, she must have 2 pairs for every day, BUT each and every pair is at least a size too big & often too wide. and despite this, mum can't or won't provide a pair of wellies!

my children have an inset day on the day that i have this mindee ... and DD needs some new shoes, not because they don't fit, but because she had worn the heel down :rolleyes: but she has had them since october! so i think i might do a massed foot measuring session at the show shop!

We regularly go to Clarks or Brantano to measure our feet and look at all the different styles of shoes :D my assistant used to work for Clarks so knows how to properly measure feet and it's a great learning curve for the children ESP when looking at the "all about me" or "growing and changing" theme :thumbsup: I always get the staff to write each child's feet size on a headed piece of paper so the kids can take it home to mummy/daddy, I also make a note of it in their learning journal! Xx

Helen79
08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I have never gone in for fitted shoes for any of my children apart from school shoes because they last longer than ones I have bought elsewhere and all of them have perfectly good feet, don't see an issue with asda trainers at all.

the only fitted shoes I have ever bought are dd's school shoes. All my kids shoes are cheaper ones that aren't fitted. dd has even had a pair of 2nd hand ones off ebay :rolleyes: I can't see the problem with supermarket trainers either, it's just something else for the perfect mum brigade to feel smug about.

I'm sure fitted shoes are so much better for feet but I can't afford them and clarks shoes are just plain ugly and uncomfortable.

funemnx
08-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Don't you just hate the converse type boots with all the laces - takes ages to take them off and put them on!!

karen m
08-05-2012, 06:16 PM
A few years back i had a lo from 6 months and his shoes were always to big "but they were a bargain" the amount of times i would be "reminded" not to lose his shoes i started taking them off when he was in the house but that never helped him when we were out and about . I then took his sister on same problem,they left when eldest was 5 and sister was 2, mum gave up work

kellib
08-05-2012, 06:20 PM
One thing that really annoys me is children in ill fitted shoes! It's so important to make sure that they have correctly fitted shoes. And don't even get me started on hand me down shoes! :eek::eek:

Yes shoes are expensive but imo totally worth it to ensure your child doesn't have any problems later in life.

LauraS
08-05-2012, 06:24 PM
We used to put our children all in Clarkes shoes until our second child was fitted for a pair at about 18 months which blistered her foot - one foot was blistered quite severely under her ankle bone where the shoe chafed. Haven't been back since - they wear all sorts of shoes now from different shops.

littleones
08-05-2012, 06:28 PM
My mindee came in size 3 hard sole branded trainers the first time she came, when we got home I took them off and her feet were min 4.5, I told mum I was going to sainsburys to get my sons feet measured as theres a clarks in there, and asked if she wanted me to check mindees too, she said yes and she was a 4.5g, I told mum and it was 2 weeks before she brought new shoes that were bigger, still sent her in the old trainers, she did then by clarks cruisers but I didn't expect it even though I buy clarks, I just wanted some that fit her, she is now walking much better. I did work in clarks so may be better at judging but almost 2 sizes is a lot, I dread to think what damage has already been done.
Sorry I rambled so much

Jiorjiina
08-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Don't you just hate the converse type boots with all the laces - takes ages to take them off and put them on!!

I love them. They feel more secure on my feet, and I really like the flexible soles. On the other hand, I am dyspraxic so I either wear really flexible shoes (I'd go barefoot more often if I didn't always trip over things or stub my toes) or boots because they help me to feel where my feet are.

On a first-shoe-buying related note, I was born in Hong Kong, and my mum had to take me to Macau to find the only shop in the mainland of south west Asia that sold Clark's shoes. And I had really wide feet too.

samb
08-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I am also one of the "must buy properly fitted shoes" birgade! My Mum drummed it in to me when I was a child. She didn't have much money to spend but always told us that our feet were very delicate and needed protecting and our little bones might get pushed out of place if our shoes didn't fit properly.

I also take off shoes of lo - I don't see why they need them? I waited until mine were walking confidently and regularly outside - about 3 months after they took their first steps. And yes they were barely worn but that was my choice - they wore them for walking outside - other than that it was back to barefeet.

One mindee is almost standing up on his own (not walking on his own) and randomly turns up in different shoes. I guess they belonged to his older brother. They fall off or he falls over a lot in them so I take them off and leave them in his bag. If he is outside I pop an extra pair of socks on him and his all in one waterproof as he crawls so the shoes wouldn't do much anyway.

buzzy bee
08-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I know Clarks shoes are expensive, but to me it's money well spent. I don't have very much money and have never been able to buy new things for DS - most of his clothes, toys etc have been second hand, but the one thing I have made sure I buy new and "proper" is shoes, because I know it is so important for his development.

I think some parents just don't realise how important it is, so maybe you should say something to them. It's hard to know what to say though!

little chickee
09-05-2012, 11:34 AM
When my son was 18 months I took him to Clarks had his feet measured and bought a £35 pair of shoes.

My son would not walk in them - he just refused to move so after 4 days of trying to get him to walk in them i took them back - they re measured his feet and was told i had been sold a pair of shoes 1 and a half sizes too small!!!

Their excuse? It was a trainee who served me! No apologies, no discount to make up for it.

i could have persevered and made my son wear those shoes for several months.

Lost faith in Clarks after that.

gigglinggoblin
09-05-2012, 12:05 PM
My mil took ds to clarks and bought him 'properly fitted shoes' which I refused to use because he wasnt walking at that point. Some time later I took him to get him measured and they measured him a size smaller! I have no faith in their system of 'properly fitting shoes'. In fact time before last their machine measured him 2 sizes smaller than he was previously and the staff were happy with that measurement. I always check manually, its much more accurate ime.

loocyloo
09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
i've been in childcare for over 20 years, and have taken many a child to have their feet measured and to buy new shoes.

i can usually see if a shoe will fit before it is on my childs foot and also can see if it is too loose/tight/deep/shallow etc. i refuse to be told 'the leather will stretch/soften etc' and i always check the shoes myself for width/toe room etc. if i am not sure, then i ask for someone else to check the shoes as well. they must all hide at my local clarkes when they see me coming! :D

both my children have very wide feet ( as do i! ) and i do take great care of their feet, but DD dances and so her feet are screwed into ballet shoes/tapshoes and DD lives in football boots :rolleyes: it is hard to get wide fitting sports/dance shoes, as to be wide enough, they are often too long.
also ... can you get wide fitting wellies for children? !!!

i used to buy shoes from brantano, and never had a problem, but they have stopped doing 1/2 sizes, which makes a BIG difference when fitting shoes! i do wish everyone sold 1/2 sizes!

PixiePetal
09-05-2012, 01:44 PM
i've been in childcare for over 20 years, and have taken many a child to have their feet measured and to buy new shoes.

i can usually see if a shoe will fit before it is on my childs foot and also can see if it is too loose/tight/deep/shallow etc. i refuse to be told 'the leather will stretch/soften etc' and i always check the shoes myself for width/toe room etc. if i am not sure, then i ask for someone else to check the shoes as well. they must all hide at my local clarkes when they see me coming! :D

both my children have very wide feet ( as do i! ) and i do take great care of their feet, but DD dances and so her feet are screwed into ballet shoes/tapshoes and DD lives in football boots :rolleyes: it is hard to get wide fitting sports/dance shoes, as to be wide enough, they are often too long.
also ... can you get wide fitting wellies for children? !!!

i used to buy shoes from brantano, and never had a problem, but they have stopped doing 1/2 sizes, which makes a BIG difference when fitting shoes! i do wish everyone sold 1/2 sizes!

30 years in childcare and 2 of my own and I can see at a glance if shoes will be the right shape for a foot, well at least those which will be no good.

Clarks fitted shoes wrong for my DD when she was young and I refused them and asked for a different fitter!

Plain Dunlop wellies used to come up wider - my DS has the wide feet - as do I :rolleyes: - some wellies were useless on him. He loved his JCB ones from Debenhams who did a whole range of JCB clothing :thumbsup: Don't get me started on football boots, just glad he only does it in school lessons, so for short periods of time. Do know puma are narrow though, he usually goes up a size and lumps it!

Oh and for the record my good family who always have had fitted shoes for kids - 17month mindee came in converse canvas shoes from ebay today :rolleyes: oh well, can't win them all. Shoes off in the house anyway and actually they don't fit too bad.

rachelle
09-05-2012, 05:43 PM
My son's physio recommends trainers for his feet!
Mindees vary - one has uggs (aren't they fab on under 2s, all flopping to the side!), one has clarkes, one always a new pair, ususally from H and M and the other little one has his brother's outgrown clarkes. Each to their own I say. My own 2 have clarkes for one and the other is in prescription boots, kickers or trainers depending on occasion!