PDA

View Full Version : Attendence register

Dragonfly
08-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Hello,How does everybody do their attendence register? do you have a special book, print off monthly sheets for each child (like me) or have their special easy way which they wouldnt mind sharing with me.
With 11 children on my books thats 11 sheets to print out each month alot? Im sure when I started 18 years ago i didnt do it this way, think just noted in my diary that they were here!

rickysmiths
08-05-2012, 11:35 AM
I use the NCMA Register and put tabs down the side with initials on so I can find each childs page quickly. I page per month per child.

loocyloo
08-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I use the NCMA Register and put tabs down the side with initials on so I can find each childs page quickly. I page per month per child.

same here :D

butterfly
08-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I have the same problem as you with 12/3 children each week - I went through NCMA books so quickly. Now I have a sheet with everyone's name on per week. I'm rubbish at remembering to fill it in though!

Bridey
08-05-2012, 03:05 PM
All mine are before and afterschoolers so I use one weekly page with all names on. However, if I had little ones then I would use one page per child and get parents to sign it, for my own security.

rickysmiths
08-05-2012, 03:52 PM
The problem with having all the children on one sheet instead of one sheet per child comes when you might need to copy the records for one child the way I did last year when a parent complained about me. I was able to copy their childs pages from the register, signed by the parent thank goodness and prove the parent was lying. :thumbsup:

miffy
08-05-2012, 04:52 PM
I use one sheet for every week with all the children's names on.

I sign them in and out - there is no requirement to get the parents to sign the sheet and Ofsted have always been happy with it.

Miffy xx

sarah707
08-05-2012, 05:00 PM
I have printed sheets - one for each child in case of query in the future.

They go in the child's file when completed and signed :D

funemnx
08-05-2012, 05:51 PM
I wish I could remember to fill them in - I've always put in my diary when each child arrives and goes home but my DO suggested Ofsted might not like it so got a MM one - can't get used to it and keep forgetting!

Helen Dempster
08-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Same here, tho' I no longer buy the NCMA ones, I've typed my own version using their template.

kellib
08-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I've got the SCMA one which doubles as a cashbook, handy to keep track of my accounts too! :thumbsup:

Dragonfly
08-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Thank you for your kind replies.Looks like I'll be staying as I am then One page per month per child. Everyone seems to be doing a similar thing. i still wont be getting the parents to sign though, think thats a person thing and up to each individual.

lisa1968
08-05-2012, 07:25 PM
made my own on the computer because I couldnt find one that suited!

A4 paper,days of week across the top.childrens name down left hand side.
Each day for each child is split into 2-arrival and departure.For a child I have before and after school,they have 2 rows of arrival and departure next to their names to log before and after school times.
hope that makes sense?

Joda
08-05-2012, 07:51 PM
I use MM Attendance Sheets - I have 6 children over the week and I can fit all 6 children on one sheet per week which works better for me than the NCMA Attendance register did.

sweets
08-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I couldnt get on with the NCMA one, too much flicking over pages!

my sister made me one with 2 months on, 1 for each child. So much easier.

I think its in the free downloads somewhere :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
08-05-2012, 09:23 PM

I sign them in and out - there is no requirement to get the parents to sign the sheet and Ofsted have always been happy with it.

Miffy xx

I know that Miffy but by getting the parents to sign for their children it demonstrates you are sharing this information with them.

I had a complaint made that I was always late for school and had not told the parents. Because I had the attendance register and it was signed weekly by the parents I was able to send a copy with my other information to Ofsted and demonstrate that the parent was lying. Had the parent not signed the register I would not have had this to back me up. Worth doing as far as I'm concerned even if it has only proved useful once in 18 years. :thumbsup:

Dragonfly
11-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Being thick here sweets. You said its under the downloads is it just under attendence register?

miffy
11-05-2012, 06:40 AM
I know that Miffy but by getting the parents to sign for their children it demonstrates you are sharing this information with them.

I had a complaint made that I was always late for school and had not told the parents. Because I had the attendance register and it was signed weekly by the parents I was able to send a copy with my other information to Ofsted and demonstrate that the parent was lying. Had the parent not signed the register I would not have had this to back me up. Worth doing as far as I'm concerned even if it has only proved useful once in 18 years. :thumbsup:

I might be being thick here but how did having the parent sign your attendance register prove she was lying about the time you dropped her child at school? She wasn't there when you dropped the child off so she couldn't say anyway. I would have thought the schools attendance register would have been much more use in this situation as they usually mark down if a child is late.

I'm glad the complaint wasn't upheld.

Miffy xx

Hayley102
11-05-2012, 06:57 AM

Miffy xx

Me too:clapping:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
11-05-2012, 07:03 AM
I made my own was fed up of spending so much money on books. I use one sheet per child per month..

fluff1975
11-05-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm considering making my own register too. Do I need to have a column for how many hours they've been with me, or will the in/out times do?

twinkletots
11-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Me too:clapping:

Originally Posted by miffy

Miffy xx

Same here!x

clairelou
11-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by miffy

Miffy xx

Same here!x

Me three, one per week with pre printed times for regular times and left blank for ad hoc children or a perent that picks up at different times.
I then write on fees at the end of the column before filing away for my accounts.

rickysmiths
11-05-2012, 09:03 PM
I might be being thick here but how did having the parent sign your attendance register prove she was lying about the time you dropped her child at school? She wasn't there when you dropped the child off so she couldn't say anyway. I would have thought the schools attendance register would have been much more use in this situation as they usually mark down if a child is late.

I'm glad the complaint wasn't upheld.

Miffy xx

It was actually collecting and I record the time I collect from school in my attendance register because that is the time that the child is in my care. It was the fact that the parent had complained about a specific day and accused me of being late to collect and that I hadn't told them that I had collected late. On the day in question I was not late and the fact that the parent had signed the register confirmed to Ofsted the time I collected and because the parent had signed proved that they were also well aware of the times recorded and therefore clearly had been informed by me about the time I had collected their child. Without that signature it would have been the parents word against mine as to whether I had informed them or not.

Chimps Childminding
11-05-2012, 09:57 PM
made my own on the computer because I couldnt find one that suited!

A4 paper,days of week across the top.childrens name down left hand side.
Each day for each child is split into 2-arrival and departure.For a child I have before and after school,they have 2 rows of arrival and departure next to their names to log before and after school times.
hope that makes sense?

Sounds more or less exactly the same as mine!! :thumbsup:
I collect from our local nursery and all children for that day are on one sheet! Parent etc logs down time of drop off and later collection time and signs!

Wendybird
12-05-2012, 12:18 PM
I just note arrival and departure down in my work diary with the child's initials. Activities, visitors, expenses, sickness, etc are all in there as well. I showed Ofsted at my inspection and she didn't say anything about it, noted that I have good systems and excellent organisation in my report. I can barely get parents to read and sign accident / incident forms - much less look at the details of arrival and departure! But I run a very small business here, only one or two max / day.

Chimps Childminding
12-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I just note arrival and departure down in my work diary with the child's initials. Activities, visitors, expenses, sickness, etc are all in there as well. I showed Ofsted at my inspection and she didn't say anything about it, noted that I have good systems and excellent organisation in my report. I can barely get parents to read and sign accident / incident forms - much less look at the details of arrival and departure! But I run a very small business here, only one or two max / day.

Same here!!! I think if I had somewhere by my front door the hall that I could put my attendance register that they could sign in and out on the way through the door it would be better but i've only got a small, narrow hall so the register sits on my kitchen worktop - usually hiding under some clutter or other :rolleyes:

toddlers896
12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
I am so glad that i came across this thread as i have been doing my attendance wrong. I use the NCMA register but i have been putting down the hours that they are contracted and not the exact time they arrive and leave. ooops!!:eek:
I had better start doing it properly on monday also once this book is used up i think i will use the idea of many and buy a book and make my own attendance register so that everybody is on the same page.

thanks for the info x

ziggy
12-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Each of my children have a monthly sheet showing times they attend each day or reason why not (sick etc) then at the bottom i write weekly hours and amount paid, then myself and parent sign it. But i do this more for the tax man

rickysmiths
12-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I am so glad that i came across this thread as i have been doing my attendance wrong. I use the NCMA register but i have been putting down the hours that they are contracted and not the exact time they arrive and leave. ooops!!:eek:
I had better start doing it properly on monday also once this book is used up i think i will use the idea of many and buy a book and make my own attendance register so that everybody is on the same page.

thanks for the info x

I don't put mine all on one page for confidentiality reasons. One page per month per child. Also by having several children on one page it would be difficult to use it the way I had to when a complaint was made and I had to send copies of ONE childs register to Ofsted.

FussyElmo
12-05-2012, 04:27 PM

thanks for the info x

Brilliant reflection on your practise though :thumbsup: