PDA

View Full Version : After some advice

littleones
07-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Ok so here's the situation,
I took on a child (14months) that is on a variable contract gradually increasing hours until sept when it will be full time
I usually walk everywhere as me and husband share 1 car, she lives about 30-40 min walk away depending how fast you walk
This was fine as she was the only child I had
Now I have a 6 year old school child starting tomorrow and I he gets here at 8 I drop him off at 9, pick him up at 3:15 and have him till 6, meaning I can't get the first child back at some of the times I have been asked (different days and times each week to fit in with mums work)
I took the first child on saying it was no problem to pick her up (she was my only child and it didn't look like more work was coming) now I'm left with either offering more care for free (maybe noigotiate a reduced fee but it is me that can't drop her off) or having to give up this child and I have no idea what to do
My sister says I have to get tough with the parent but it's not her fault my situation has changed
Please help, any words of advice are welcome
Hopefully this makes sence :)

flowerpots
08-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Ok so here's the situation,
I took on a child (14months) that is on a variable contract gradually increasing hours until sept when it will be full time
I usually walk everywhere as me and husband share 1 car, she lives about 30-40 min walk away depending how fast you walk
This was fine as she was the only child I had
Now I have a 6 year old school child starting tomorrow and I he gets here at 8 I drop him off at 9, pick him up at 3:15 and have him till 6, meaning I can't get the first child back at some of the times I have been asked (different days and times each week to fit in with mums work)
I took the first child on saying it was no problem to pick her up (she was my only child and it didn't look like more work was coming) now I'm left with either offering more care for free (maybe noigotiate a reduced fee but it is me that can't drop her off) or having to give up this child and I have no idea what to do
My sister says I have to get tough with the parent but it's not her fault my situation has changed
Please help, any words of advice are welcome
Hopefully this makes sence :)

Why cant parent(s) drop/collect?:)

mama2three
08-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Once the child is full time will the hours mean you are able to drop off and collect again?
if so it might be worth explaining to the parent that between x and x you are unable to drop and collect due to other commitments , but that you will discuss what times will suit them where there are problems . If you end up doing a little extra unpaid then see it as an investment for when you earn more from the family come september

miffy
08-05-2012, 06:55 AM
I think you have to be honest with the parent and say your circumstances have changed and you can no longer off all the drop-offs/pick-ups you have been doing.

If parent is unhappy (she may not be able to get another cm to do this anyway) then you may have to face losing her business.

Miffy xx

alwaysright
08-05-2012, 09:05 AM
i would tell the parents that they have to drop off and collect the child themselves as you now have other children to care for. if you continue to drop this child at home and walk there to collect them 5 times a week for 30 mins and 5 times after dropping off back home again 5 times a week at 30 mins that adds up to 5 hours per week UNPAID work you are doing! imagine doing that in the middle of winter. and that doesnt even include the 30 minutes each way when you have the child that i assume you are paid for.

little chickee
08-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I too would explain to the parent that you are unable to collect and drop off anymore.
It may mean you lose child but i don't see you have much choice.
If parent still wants collection and drop off I would say that you will nedd to re-negotiate the terms of the contract changing the times to ones where you can accomodate them - with the required increase in fees of course.

Can parents collect/ drop off and just chose not too or are they for some reason unable to at all? My therory being that if you are able to walk to them then surely they can walk to you?

littleones
08-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Once the child is full time will the hours mean you are able to drop off and collect again?
if so it might be worth explaining to the parent that between x and x you are unable to drop and collect due to other commitments , but that you will discuss what times will suit them where there are problems . If you end up doing a little extra unpaid then see it as an investment for when you earn more from the family come september

Thanks for this, I am going to talk to mum and discuss the times etc and see it as an investment since she will be full time in September and hubby is looking at getting his own car in the next few months which will make it 100 times easier lol
Thanks everyone for the advice, I have defo learnt from her and won't be offering to pick up/drop off in the future
Thanks

karen m
08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
We all learn by trial and error over these things