PDA

View Full Version : Advice on vehicle insurance needed!

Carls
07-05-2012, 03:52 PM
I was hoping for some advice as I own a transporter shutttle for work which has nine seats but nowhere does it state it is a minibus! My friend has a Renault Trafic with nine seats and the documents state it is a minibus!
Now I have never had too much trouble getting insurance for my transporter, I have just phoned Lloyds and stated it has 9 seats and that is ok. My friend cannot get any insurance through anyone apart from Morton Michel which is over £1700 per year!
I am now worried that my insurance will be invalid as lloyds has said they will not insure my friend cause her 9 seater is a minibus!
Has anyone else got a 9 seater and who are they insured tghrough?
Thankyou for your help xx

sarah707
07-05-2012, 05:20 PM
We have had 8 seaters insured by Morton Michel in the past without a problem.

No idea about 9 seats sorry!

Could you ask advice from an independent insurer and then follow it up with ringing round for better deals?

Hth :D

lisa1968
08-05-2012, 07:59 PM
i was told that anything over 8 seats is classed as a minibus.
I drive a 12 seater minibus-a Toyota hiace,get my insurance through Morton Michel and pay around £775 a year fully comp.
Morton Michel are just the broker-there are loads of companys who do minibus insurance-Minibus Plus are a good one- but it takes time to ring round.You could always ring Morton Michel and ask what they class as a minibus.

Cammie Doodle
09-05-2012, 07:04 AM
According to Hubby up to and inc 9 seats are classed as people carrier over 9 seats is when licence and insurance change . Hope this helps

Monkey26
09-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I bought an 8 seat Citroen c8 because i was also under the impression that any vehicle with 9 or more seats is classed as a mini bus and thus different, more, expensive insurance!
I have a childminding friend who owns a transporter shuttle, and another who owns a mercedes vito, and both have taken the 9th seat out so that their vehicles go back into normal insurance :thumbsup: xx