PDA

View Full Version : What can be claimed?

Kirsty90
07-05-2012, 08:10 AM
A few month ago we play barked a section of our garden, we done this purely because I was starting childminding. My partner has two children though so obviously they use the garden at weekends etc can I put any of the cost through my accounts?

Also is there a limited amount that can go through your books? What I mean is I bought a new double pushchair and it cost over £100 so I'm guessing I can put all of this through as I have a receipt but is there a certain amount you can spend on one item?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Kirsty xx

twinkletots
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Hello,

With regards to the pushchair, you can put the total cost of that through as long as it is only used for your childminding business.

With regards to the bark, I would be inclined to work out the percentage cost, for example:

If you childmind 5 days per week and your husbands children visit at weekends for 2 days I would firstly divide 100% by 7 days which works out on average 14.3% per day

So the percentage of childminding use 5 x 14.3 = 71.5%

And personal use 2 x 14.3% = 28.6%

So if the total cost of the bark (for example) was £50 then divide that by 100

Which works out 0.5

Multiply by 71.5% for childminding = £35.75 - I would then use this figure against expenses as it is an expense incurred due to your childminding business.

Hope this helps,

Rach :)

rickysmiths
07-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Divide the cost of bark by 7 then multiply by 5 to get the cost of Bark you can claim as an expense for your childminding.

Yoiu don't need to do the % bit!!!

rickysmiths
07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Hello,

With regards to the pushchair, you can put the total cost of that through as long as it is only used for your childminding business.

With regards to the bark, I would be inclined to work out the percentage cost, for example:

If you childmind 5 days per week and your husbands children visit at weekends for 2 days I would firstly divide 100% by 7 days which works out on average 14.3% per day

So the percentage of childminding use 5 x 14.3 = 71.5%

And personal use 2 x 14.3% = 28.6%

So if the total cost of the bark (for example) was £50 then divide that by 100

Which works out 0.5

Multiply by 71.5% for childminding = £35.75 - I would then use this figure against expenses as it is an expense incurred due to your childminding business.

Hope this helps,

Rach :)

71.5 + 28.6 don't add up to 100?

twinkletots
09-05-2012, 06:02 PM
71.5 + 28.6 don't add up to 100?

- very true!

Tiny error made my total a few pence out :panic:

Was just a quick message to explain approx amounts to help out someone with a query!

Sorry for offending anyone, that was not my intention, was doing workings in my head and quickly sent message to give a rough idea of how it's worked.
:)