PDA

View Full Version : diamond jubilee activities

lulubelle
06-05-2012, 07:42 PM
i am doing a jubilee theme (along with 10 million other people i bet) and i was wondering if any of you had any ideas of things to make/do with the children?
so far i have

make a crown
making bunting
souvenir plates
a collage
time capsule (any ideas what to put in it? i was going to ask children to bring things for it)
(apparently there is a big thing about planting a tree for the jubilee but i am not sure my garden is big enough for another tree! lol)

or any links to places with good ideas?

VeggieSausage
06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Yes i am going to do jubilee activities too, the same as you. Thought we would:
Have a mock street party
Have bought union jack cake cases to bake cakes,
Make flags,
Junk modelling of buckingham palace,
Red, white and blue painting
Paint rolling with red, white and blue,
Potato stamping
Jewellery making (on theme of crowns and jewels)
Sparkly mobile using foil, and pictures of royal family
Family tree - of lo's own families
Dressing up kings and queens
Make capes/shields/carriages out of boxes

I am tying in London activities too - so Big ben bookmarks, River Thames picture, look at London online etc.....:)

miffy
06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
We're having a street (well, garden) party, making crowns and flags etc.

I've bought some crown cookie cutters from Lakeland so we'll be making biscuits and icing them.

We'll be looking at the Queens family and making her family tree, them getting the children to bring in photos of their family. To make. Their own family tree.

There are Some ideas on activity village too

Miffy xx

lulubelle
06-05-2012, 09:01 PM
thanks guys! now have a great list of ideas to do! keep them coming tho!

miffy
06-05-2012, 09:06 PM
(apparently there is a big thing about planting a tree for the jubilee but i am not sure my garden is big enough for another tree! lol)

or any links to places with good ideas?

you could plant a small tree in a tub or look for a rose, I bet there's one for the jubilee!

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I've been to lakeland this weekend and bought Union Jack cup cases, red white and blue sprinkles, jubilee Union Jack rice paper toppers and Jubilee doylies :thumbsup:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/search/jubilee-cup-cakes/q03.r16.1

miffy
07-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I've been to lakeland this weekend and bought Union Jack cup cases, red white and blue sprinkles, jubilee Union Jack rice paper toppers and Jubilee doylies :thumbsup:

Popped in today and picked up a few bits :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Jo Lees
08-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Lakeland also have crown biscuit cutters:)

charleyfarley
19-05-2012, 04:29 PM

We got those too along with the crown/flag biscuit cutters, can't wait to get baking :thumbsup:

Carol xx

jo f
19-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Got a nice dangly decoration from b&m and a big plastic flag put on the wall as a backing. The after schoolies have drawn fab union jacks, pic of Buckingham palace, map of uk and younger ones have coloured pics of queen from activity village website looks good! Also done a pussy cat pussy cat where have you been? display with my toddlers, and stuck pics of queen etc on it.

JHBisset
19-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Oh my goodness you sound like you have all been planning for ages, i better get my skates on and think of some things to do!! but all the suggestions have been great!:-) you have definetly helped get the ball rolling.

Daisy1956
19-05-2012, 11:06 PM
I thought of doing role play, dressing up as queens with crowns we have made.

webbthomas
31-05-2012, 03:17 PM
My mindees are still quite young ... we did Jubilee Spagetti today ... 3 batches, one red, one blue and the other plain to represent white. It kept them entertained for quite a while in the sensory tub ! :)

littlecheeks
31-05-2012, 04:29 PM
we did cup cakes, hats, bunting to hang up and a mini garden! x

jumping j
31-05-2012, 05:06 PM
we're decorating our own crowns and flags,
reading The Queens Knickers
(couldn't find real knickers to match the book so I've scanned and printed them off to hang on a washing line during the story, also got one of the Queen's face masks from tesco)
Doing a Queen themed singing time - sing a song of sixpence, pussy cat pussy cat, the queen of hearts
making jam tarts
having a jubillee picnic with as much red, blue and white food as I could think of :laughing: