PDA

View Full Version : lunch??

mushpea
05-05-2012, 10:33 AM
how much do you give.

at the moment mine have a sandwich ( 2 slices of bread with filling), sausage roll or crackers with either ham or cheese on ,, then they have a peice of fruit then a youghut or cereal bar or peice of cake for dessert,,
would you think this is enough for a 3.5yrold and a 4yrold, they dont ask for more food and parents havent said they need more I just wonded what everyone else gave?

loocyloo
05-05-2012, 10:49 AM
sounds fine to me.

mine are all 2 and under & small eaters, so have 1/2 a sandwich each, or small sausage roll, toasted sandwich or whatever. a couple of pieces of cucumber, cherry tomato, slice of pepper etc. then some yogurt ( about the amount in a small fromage frais pot ) and some fruit. sometimes a biscuit or little cake ( and i make tiny cakes in the the tiny cases! )

we might have a small bowl of soup, or baked beans with toast. sometimes a little baked potato.

no one asks for more, and they don't always eat everything either!

VeggieSausage
05-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Sounds about right I think. Mine have either something like beans on toast/scrambled egg on toast/cheese toastie/veg soup and a roll/ sandwiches - then fruit and maybe a yoghurt - I would rather give them more beans/soup/sandwich etc than snacky stuff or yoghurt every day - no one complains so I think its ok :)

Kiddleywinks
05-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm sure I read on a website ages ago - no I can't remember where now :( (In the days before I bookmarked stuff lol) that a child's portion should be about the size of their clenched fist.
I've tried it out on my nieces and nephews when I have them, and it seems about right. If they are still hungry I then offer fruit/yoghurt/2nds etc

If anyone can remember the site name I'd be grateful for the name again ;)

miffy
06-05-2012, 07:31 AM
I'm sure I read on a website ages ago - no I can't remember where now :( (In the days before I bookmarked stuff lol) that a child's portion should be about the size of their clenched fist.
I've tried it out on my nieces and nephews when I have them, and it seems about right. If they are still hungry I then offer fruit/yoghurt/2nds etc

If anyone can remember the site name I'd be grateful for the name again ;)

Twinkles posted one recently called little people's plates, don't know if that's the one you were thinking of?

Miffy xx

miffy
06-05-2012, 07:32 AM
how much do you give.

at the moment mine have a sandwich ( 2 slices of bread with filling), sausage roll or crackers with either ham or cheese on ,, then they have a peice of fruit then a youghut or cereal bar or peice of cake for dessert,,
would you think this is enough for a 3.5yrold and a 4yrold, they dont ask for more food and parents havent said they need more I just wonded what everyone else gave?

Sounds fine to me, my older ones would ask for more though!

Miffy xx

Greengrass74
06-05-2012, 07:48 AM
It sounds about right to me, this is what we give our 3 and 4 yo's.

The problem I have is the older ones (after schoolers) and I am seriously looking into the meal situation. I give them a cooked meal followed by pudding but all of them have another meal when they get home, so why do I bother, I think maybe a snack is what we should be giving them but they all say they are starving when they get in from school.

miffy
06-05-2012, 08:40 PM
The problem I have is the older ones (after schoolers) and I am seriously looking into the meal situation. I give them a cooked meal followed by pudding but all of them have another meal when they get home, so why do I bother, I think maybe a snack is what we should be giving them but they all say they are starving when they get in from school.

The older after schoolers I look after are the same - they all have a cooked lunch at school but say that they get the same portion size as the younger children and it's not enough. Seems school meals are facing cutbacks too!

Miffy xx