PDA

View Full Version : Weekends

notts
05-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Just wondering how many of you out there mind at weekends? I'm thinnking of offering it on an occasional basis....

sharonmanc
05-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I dont at the moment but i offer weekend care. I have a potential mindee that needs the occasional saturday. It ccan be good for getting more buiness as a lot of people worki n retail etc, which requires them to work weekends. If you dont mind not have the weekend to recharge it can be good. I also charge more on a weekend

*daisychain*
05-05-2012, 12:20 PM
you beat me to it with this question !! I have been having one mindee on Saturdays for a while now, not every Saturday but most. As we were out earlier I bumped into a friend who looked shocked that I was working on a weekend and said I'm the only childminder she has ever known to work them. Mindees mum works shifts and is a single parent.
I charge by the hour on weekends and and have a set fee weekdays, most days during the week mindee does not start till an hour sometimes 2 after the hours been paid for iyswim, and on saturdays usually a 10am start, so it works out I'm been paid less for working the Saturday :(
My hubby says I should charge more, but how I see it at least I'm getting a little rest before mindee starts and if I had a set fee she may be brough earlier. saying that I have been up since 6am with my LO ! sleeping now though :clapping:

karen m
05-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I work weekends , i charge 50p an hour more than normal rate

kat27
05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I mind at the weekend, I do charge more though. When i worked in the NHS I found it so hard to find someone to work weekends and cover shifts, so I now offer it to people :-)

mushpea
05-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I did used to mind saturdays, my normal hourly rate then was £3.25 and I would charge £5 an hour on saturdays,, I stopped because I felt i wasnt spending enough time with just my family.

notts
05-05-2012, 03:08 PM
thanks guys. I'm thinking it woul dbe quite nice for some occasional weekend work and the extra cash but also making sure it doesn't impact our family time too much. Which leads me on to another question...... my hubby would be at home on a weekend and wanting to spend time with our children. Does this matter in a minding environment? He's CRB'd. Would it matter if he came out with us?

caz3007
05-05-2012, 04:01 PM
thanks guys. I'm thinking it woul dbe quite nice for some occasional weekend work and the extra cash but also making sure it doesn't impact our family time too much. Which leads me on to another question...... my hubby would be at home on a weekend and wanting to spend time with our children. Does this matter in a minding environment? He's CRB'd. Would it matter if he came out with us?

Hubby is fine to be around the children, but you cant leave him alone with them. Mine is only CRB'd and not my assistant, but he finishes work early and helps me, he often cooks mindies tea and will wipe faces and help generally. He has more holiday a year than I do and I dont drive, so if he is off we often all go out somewhere, often to the farm and he will help as needed then.

I think its expected that your hubby will be around minded children at some point

mama2three
05-05-2012, 05:05 PM
remember yourself in this though - i know youre just starting out but look forward a few months - you may be working very long hours during the week and will need to recharge at some point. I work 60 hours weeks ( plus prep , paperwork , training etc ) and need my weekends off!
Ad- hoc and occasional weekends may work well for you , that way you can always say no to a particular date or as you pick up other work .

muffins
05-05-2012, 07:27 PM
I work every Saturday and charge £6hr instead of the £4hr during the week. However I don't work on Wednesdays, this allows me time with my own 2 pre-schoolers to do days out/swimming when its quieter/big kids at school! My DH also works shift all week round so it makes no difference to him what days I work!

I will be going on Mat leave later this year for 9mths and when I return I will no longer work weekends, my DD will be starting school next year and I'd like to keep them free for her!

notts
05-05-2012, 08:12 PM
thanks everyone, really helpful :)

miffy
06-05-2012, 07:23 AM
I've never worked weekends, I've never offered or been asked to provide this.

I think you would need your hubby's support for this to work especially with a young family of your own.

Kath made a very good point that, in a few months time, you might be very busy and would need your weekends to relax and spend time with your own family.

Miffy xx