PDA

View Full Version : "I'm being naughty"

buzzy bee
04-05-2012, 07:05 AM
DS is coming up to 2.5...

I try not to use the "N" word very much... DH is worse than I am and I sometimes have to remind him not to say "stop being naughty" but to say "stop doing XYZ" instead.

I also try and give him as much positive attention as possible, but there are times when I need to be doing other things, and these are the times that he does "naughty" things.

When I know he's doing it to get attention, and if he's not hurting anyone or breaking anything, I don't give it attention - e.g. if he's playing with the computer keyboard which he knows he's not allowed to do, I just push the drawer back in and move him away from it without saying anything.

Is this the right thing to do? I figure if he's doing it for attention and doesn't get it then he might stop!

But recently, if he's doing something he shouldn't and not getting any attention, he's started to say to me "mummy, I'm being naughty" - even after I've moved him away from the situation he'll tell me he's naughty.

Any advice would be very welcome. I've only been childminding for a couple of years so I'm fairly new to all this behaviour stuff and I want to try and nip this in the bud now...

buzzy bee
04-05-2012, 07:05 AM
I should add that he sounds very proud about being "naughty"

Bridey
04-05-2012, 07:14 AM
I would try "Well, when you stop and start being a good boy we can have a cuddle/read a story/sing a song/go for a walk/play with your train/have some juice etc etc because we can't do that when you are .......(whatever 'naughty' action is).

BucksCM
04-05-2012, 07:45 AM
I think you're doing the right things. It's hard though, isn't it, to ignore a lo who's deliberately trying to get your attention??!! He's taken it a step further because you weren't reating how he wanted to! So now he's telling you! Smart boy!:D
Carry on what you're doing, be consistant and try what Bridey said too:thumbsup: